Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This’ll be tough as hell, make no mistake they’re an absolute side, but we can beat them. It won’t be like Man City in which we are camped in our own half for 180 minutes, we’ll be able to get at them, just need to be tight at the back. Christ I’m excited, hear lots of people booking flights and hotels to madrid, whilst I understand they want to get ahead of the price jumps etc, and have cancellation rights, but I just can’t bring myself to do it until we know if we’ll be there or not

Still plenty of options. Hopefully by then a few of the injuries would have cleared up and we'll have alternatives to what we play, who we play, how we go about it etc.

I'd get into them physically, I'd dominate their youth and play a 4-2-3-1.

Lloris
Trippier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Wanyama
Sissoko
Eriksen
Dele
Lucas
Llorente

Subs:
Gazzaniga
Davies
Sanchez
Aurier
Dier
Winks
Lamela

I'd go at them with the strongest starting XI. Dier, Winks & Lamela good options off the bench if something is needed regarding defensive duties, keeping the possession ticking over or someone creative nipping at their heels. Get the ball into Nando with his back to goal and get runners all around him. A high defensive line with our 2 CMs & Full backs needed to do a powerhouse job.

I think it's really important Son isn't missin the game at theirs. I'd rather have a weaker first XI at home with the new WHL bouncing and Sonny exuding danger over in Amsterdam. Semi finals of the Champions League guys, holy shit!

Not a bad line up.

I might be concerned about Wanyama mobility when facing the very mobile Ajax forwards, and maybe Harry Winks is a better option who is sound defensively and able to get Spurs attacks going quickly with his passing, although arguably Eric Dier is a more of a 'like for like' player to Wanyama.

Poch might be more cautious given Ajax have put out Madrid and Juventos with fast mobile play and go more solid by playing 3 cms (Winks Sissoko and either Wanyama or Dier). At the expense of the less mobile Llorente. In effect a 433

Wow..what a game. But Barca are probably rubbing there grubby little hands right now..

At this stage I couldn't care less about Barca and how they are feeling, it's just an incredible emotion going into a semi final of this tournament. It's catapulted us into the global eye and it's richly deserved. We really have a great chance of making it to a final and we all know anything can happen over 90 minutes of football. I also believe Liverpool are at Anfield the 2nd leg so I wouldn't rule them out of pulling something amazing off.

A Tottenham Vs Liverpool final would be so exciting and winnable as well. We've got a chance you know, just need focus, form and the football god's to finally wake up and realise they've let other teams get away with murder since they took a 30 year snooze

My hands are sweating just thinking about us getting through and winning the league. Ajax will be well rested before the 1st so it’s crucial to get some good subs in and out next 2-3 PL games.

We will win

Orgonite-Gold-HHG.jpg

Not a bad line up.

I might be concerned about Wanyama mobility when facing the very mobile Ajax forwards, and maybe Harry Winks is a better option who is sound defensively and able to get Spurs attacks going quickly with his passing, although arguably Eric Dier is a more of a 'like for like' player to Wanyama.

Poch might be more cautious given Ajax have put out Madrid and Juventos with fast mobile play and go more solid by playing 3 cms (Winks Sissoko and either Wanyama or Dier). At the expense of the less mobile Llorente. In effect a 433
Foyth ...defensive player, mobile, can pass, keep the ball etc etc most qualities required for a DM. Just not physical enough. If Winks isnt available then Foyth could do. Although Winks would be preferable.

With Kane and Son out I don't think we've got any choice but to go three at the back with Rose and Aurier (hopefully) providing width.

The absolute one thing we must show Ajax is what City didn't show us, particularly in the first leg: respect. We need to put aside our preconceptions of the Eredivise as a farmer's league. Many of these young Ajax players are future world stars, and we should treat this game like we did the City one.

I think we'll put someone on De Jong. If you let him, he'll run the game. Dele's the man I think. Wouldn't start Wanyama personally. They'll run rings around him. We definitely need Winks. They seem pretty vulnerable to crosses so think Llorente will start.

Poch will get our tactics right and we'll win this. 1-0 or 2-1 I expect.

If you're Ajax how do you combat us? Answer is you play the usual way, play to your strengths. Poch knows there strengths and weaknesses and he'll nullify and take advantage of them.

I think City were too conservative against us in the first leg.
Conservative, but still disrespectful in particular with the team selection. They came into with an attitude that they could just play it safe at NWHL, we wouldn't be able to do much damage to them, and then they'd just batter us without much effort at the Etihad.

Back
Top Bottom