Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well Mrs P as someone who is completely the opposite (I’ve spent most of my days under the influence of something or another). If you are curious about the kind of euphoria you can achieve from drugs. The feeling after the after the final whistle at the Etihad on Wednesday tops them all.

In other words the ups and downs of supporting our beautiful club is probably the most dangerous drug of them all. :pochfacepalm:
Very true, THFC are my drug. Tried to give it up once, but you can see how successful that was!

Important we don't concede at home, for some strange reason they do better on the road then at home though so will be hard. No Sonny sucks but would bite your hand of for a 1-0 win via a Llorente arse goal right now

As it stands things look BAD for us. I am not being over cynical. I was just watching how Ajax tore apart Juventus & Madrid, This isn't a fluke or one off, they have very high confidence, intensity & technical ability. We can't beat them playing our normal way, we need to show Ajax respect & disrupt their play.

The injuries and lack of depth is also making it difficult for us, not to mention having to play C*NTS West Ham, in their seasonal tin pot final. I can accept being tonked by Ajax, ( though do want us to get a result). I just can't stand west ham, that's one tactical hit i wouldn't want us to take.

Stating the obvious here, but no Son or Kane in the first leg is going to hurt. Will Lamela start if he is healthy?

Still plenty of options. Hopefully by then a few of the injuries would have cleared up and we'll have alternatives to what we play, who we play, how we go about it etc.

I'd get into them physically, I'd dominate their youth and play a 4-2-3-1.

Lloris
Trippier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Wanyama
Sissoko
Eriksen
Dele
Lucas
Llorente

Subs:
Gazzaniga
Davies
Sanchez
Aurier
Dier
Winks
Lamela

I'd go at them with the strongest starting XI. Dier, Winks & Lamela good options off the bench if something is needed regarding defensive duties, keeping the possession ticking over or someone creative nipping at their heels. Get the ball into Nando with his back to goal and get runners all around him. A high defensive line with our 2 CMs & Full backs needed to do a powerhouse job.

I think it's really important Son isn't missin the game at theirs. I'd rather have a weaker first XI at home with the new WHL bouncing and Sonny exuding danger over in Amsterdam. Semi finals of the Champions League guys, holy shit!

As it stands things look BAD for us. I am not being over cynical. I was just watching how Ajax tore apart Juventus & Madrid, This isn't a fluke or one off, they have very high confidence, intensity & technical ability. We can't beat them playing our normal way, we need to show Ajax respect & disrupt their play.

The injuries and lack of depth is also making it difficult for us, not to mention having to play C*NTS West Ham, in their seasonal tin pot final. I can accept being tonked by Ajax, ( though do want us to get a result). I just can't stand west ham, that's one tactical hit i wouldn't want us to take.

Don't be negative about a semi final, whoever we play is going to be a good team at this stage. Ajax played both their 2nd legs away from home with nothing to lose and everything to gain. It'll be interesting to see if they go hell for leather again knowing that a sucker punch here or there would leave their return leg in tatters.

If someone had offered you a semi final vs Ajax a few months ago, you'd have swallowed that right up. Got to be positive and excited, we have nothing to lose & it wouldn't surprise me to see us pump them.

Just enjoy it for what it is and fear not amigo

Still plenty of options. Hopefully by then a few of the injuries would have cleared up and we'll have alternatives to what we play, who we play, how we go about it etc.

I'd get into them physically, I'd dominate their youth and play a 4-2-3-1.

Lloris
Trippier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Wanyama
Sissoko
Eriksen
Dele
Lucas
Llorente

Subs:
Gazzaniga
Davies
Sanchez
Aurier
Dier
Winks
Lamela

I'd go at them with the strongest starting XI. Dier, Winks & Lamela good options off the bench if something is needed regarding defensive duties, keeping the possession ticking over or someone creative nipping at their heels. Get the ball into Nando with his back to goal and get runners all around him. A high defensive line with our 2 CMs & Full backs needed to do a powerhouse job.

I think it's really important Son isn't missin the game at theirs. I'd rather have a weaker first XI at home with the new WHL bouncing and Sonny exuding danger over in Amsterdam. Semi finals of the Champions League guys, holy shit!
That line up doesn’t look that bad, here’s hoping we don’t get any more injuries between now and then. I also agree that making our physicality and experience count is an absolute must.

I love Ajax and always have done, the problem I saw with Juve and real is they played extremely open against them. I suppose they both just expected to steam roll them, they didn’t show Ajax the respect they deserve.

I think especially in the first leg, we need to treat them like any other big attacking European team. Treat them like a Barca or a Real where we are weary of their threat at all times and pick our moments.

If we do this I believe we will go through. Go gung-ho and they will punish us fairly quickly.

I don't think we should use the green 3rd kit in the away leg against Ajax. Every kit comes with a certain amount of juju and I think we used it all up against City in the 2nd leg. In the Premier League game today, you could see there was no juju left. None at all. The blue kit should still have plenty left though.

I watched both legs against juve and the Madrid away game.

Their attack is similar to city. They have 3 mobile front players who move across the field fluidly. I don't think you can do a man mark job all 3. It will have to be 4231 for us. The defensive midfielders need to plug gaps.

They also have van de beek who does a hold up job playing behind tadic. They were more than happy to play it long ball to him when required. But VDB can play on the ground too.

All I saw from ziyech was a lot of cutting inside on the left foot and shooting. He isn't afraid to pull the trigger.

However the most important thing I noticed with their play was that they overload teams in small areas. Their intricate passing which looks good is because they have 5-6 players all within a 20 yard square so it's easy to play one twos. The way we can exploit this is by winning the ball and switching it early which is why having Winks is going to be huge for us. In one pass we can potentially bypass half their team.

I'm looking forward to seeing Winks vs De Jong. Both young, ball playing CM. IMO whoever comes out on top will dictate the play of the game.

They have weakness in fullback areas too. Douglas Costa had the beating of Veltman. I'm sure Lucas can do a similar job.
Tagliafico will come forward but it'll leave space behind to exploit.

I'm fully expecting them to put Schone on Eriksen. Both are Danish and good friends so they will know their games inside out.

Ajax are a strange one to predict. They aren’t storming the Eredivise and have been behind PSV for a chunk of the season. Yet in the UCL they have been brilliant. Their league is keen for them to progress with them postponing all fixtures the week prior to the first leg.

Son missing is tragic, but having him back for the away leg is good news. We have players capable of causing them issues.

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Winks - Sissoko
Lucas - Eriksen - Dele
Llorente
Hopefully they will all be fit, but if not then Wanyama and Tripps in for Sissoko and Aurier. Winks should be back by then.

I think this will be a remarkably close one, 2-1 at home, 2-2 in Amsterdam.

Could take another decade before we get such an opportunity to reach the final(!) of the CL.

Back
Top Bottom