Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First legs are always tight though, Ajax may have cut loose in their away legs in the previous two rounds but those were 2nd leg games when they had fuck all to lose...sure they have a fantastic front line but are they any better than Dortmund or City?

Can’t believe we are going in to a champions league semi final! Against my favourite European team aswell!

This is what Poch has asked for, this is why he doesn’t take domestic cups as seriously. If there is any stage that he will want to prove himself on this is it.

This. The biggest trophy of them all! 2 brilliant footballing sides going at it, fuck the injuries fuck the suspensions. Poch will have us ready and firing.

A proper glory glory night, the first half of which to be played at our new home. Now is the time, now we fight.

We can do this, we can go all the fucking way. Now that we are here in the semi final, I will allow myself to dream and get carried away. We all should.

Just imagine Hugo lifting that beautiful trophy in Madrid. Kane beating his chest loudly and proudly next to him having come back from injury just in time to score the winner from the bench.

Klopp’s face when their usual offside Salah injury time equaliser doesn’t work for once, it is actually chalked off this time due to VAR.

We got past city, Dortmund, Barca and inter to get here. We can do this, glory awaits it is there for the taking. We just need to fight. :tobyarm::lamelaaghh::lamelaaghh::tobyarm:

Conservative, but still disrespectful in particular with the team selection. They came into with an attitude that they could just play it safe at NWHL, we wouldn't be able to do much damage to them, and then they'd just batter us without much effort at the Etihad.
I would say they paid us quite a bit of respect at NWHL by changing to a more defensive formation. I think Guardiola was worried about Kane and Son, and getting his pants pulled down on the counter-attack, which is why the first half was played at quite a slow tempo. Also, I think he was concerned about the electric atmosphere at NWHL.

Don't get me wrong-I think Guardiola is very arrogant, yes, but I don't consider it arrogant of him to expect to beat us at the Etihad.

So we will be without Sissoko, Kane and Son for the first leg.

At least we're at home, I suppose.

Winks being assessed on a daily basis, so whilst he's a doubt for tomorrow, would be nice to be able to hopefully give him some minutes against West Ham and bring him back in to start for the first leg.

A midfield 3 of Winks, Dele and Eriksen is pretty much perfect against Ajax.

A midfield 3 of Winks, Dele and Eriksen is pretty much perfect against Ajax.

If that's the midfield three, who are the front three? Or is it a back 5?

Lloris
Trippier (?) Alderweireld Sanchez Vertoghen Rose
Dele Winks Eriksen
Llorente Lucas

Are we for real going to sub on Vincent fucking Janssen in the biggest game in a decade for the club?

If that's the midfield three, who are the front three? Or is it a back 5?

Lloris
Trippier (?) Alderweireld Sanchez Vertoghen Rose
Dele Winks Eriksen
Llorente Lucas

Are we for real going to sub on Vincent fucking Janssen in the biggest game in a decade for the club?

Has to be this due to the personnel out in my view:

Lloris
Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen
RWB - Dele - Winks - Eriksen - Rose
Lucas - Llorente
No idea who we'd play RWB at the time, could be any of Aurier, Trippier, KWP or even Foyth but I can definitely see a line up similar to that.

Though I could potentially see Dele or Eriksen pushed up instead of Llorente and Dier slotting into central midfield too.

Doesn't leave us much on the bench though.

Last edited:
Has to be this due to the personnel out in my view:

Lloris
Alderweireld - Sanchez - Foyth
RWB - Dele - Winks - Eriksen - Rose
Lucas - Llorente
No idea who we'd play RWB at the time, could be any of Aurier, Trippier, KWP or even Foyth but I can definitely see a line up similar to that.

Though I could potentially see Dele or Eriksen pushed up instead of Llorente and Dier slotting into central midfield too.

Doesn't leave us much on the bench though.

Vertonghen isn't suspended too is he? Surely he won't be dropped.

Actually, Vincent Janssen isn't even in the Champions League squad, we dropped him for Foyth. Nor is Troy Parrott.

Guys we might have an utter joke of a squad for this game.

The shape, if not personnel of how we played on Saturday would be okay.

I favour 3-5-2 if played well.

I think it clear that Real and Juventus both thought they would sweep past Ajax. We won't think that and the stakes are so high.

If Ajax go on to win the competition, I doubt any team, apart from maybe us could have had a harder route from the last 16 stage.

Back
Top Bottom