Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the last 20 months he’s missed spells of 4 1/2 months, 1 month and 2 months with three knee injuries.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think that sounds like something that with the rigours of football at this level, isn’t going to magically just go away.

Do you? Genuine question?
I'd need to know what the injuries were, was it to one knee or both and the prognosis going forward, I don't have a clue about it to be honest.

I thought his issue currently was a lack of match fitness as he's been available for a while but getting little game time and assumed outside of this he was ok - why would he be on the bench otherwise?

He's a big lump and so being football fit after a lay off may not be easy for him as I imagine he's susceptible to weight gain. He was good Tuesday and again today and IF he's over his injuries, a pre season sees him back to his best...he'd be like a new signing and save us a shitload of money, plus he's fully integrated into the Poch way. I guess only the club know the truth, I hope he can get back to his best though....if he can't then I agree with you....

I just think it’s a tough call but one that has to be made while he’s actually still movable.

I’d love to be wrong because a fit and firing Wanyama would be ahead of Sissoko as a Cm all day long for me,

I just think the omens aren’t looking great.

I think that we definitely need to get a "creative" cm in to rotate with Winks and replace Dembele and after that there are several desirable upgrades including :.
-. Recruiting a mobile RB and lb
- recruiting another AM who can either rotate with Erikssen to provide creativity or score goals ( possibly replacing the ever injured Lamela) to give us more cover.
-. Need to factor in whether we re sign Llorente as Kane cover or decide we need a younger player and whether we need to replace Erikssen and Alderweireld and even Vertonghen ( all of whose contracts are down to one year )

We cannot do all these in one transfer window plus replace Wanyama and it's not clear to me which will be Poch priority and indeed which transactions are easiest to ( is availability of incoming players on acceptable terms as well as players leaving on acceptable terms ). So if Wanyama moves from a ' must do ' to a 'desireable change' it makes things easier

I'd need to know what the injuries were, was it to one knee or both and the prognosis going forward, I don't have a clue about it to be honest.

I thought his issue currently was a lack of match fitness as he's been available for a while but getting little game time and assumed outside of this he was ok - why would he be on the bench otherwise?

He's a big lump and so being football fit after a lay off may not be easy for him as I imagine he's susceptible to weight gain. He was good Tuesday and again today and IF he's over his injuries, a pre season sees him back to his best...he'd be like a new signing and save us a shitload of money, plus he's fully integrated into the Poch way. I guess only the club know the truth, I hope he can get back to his best though....if he can't then I agree with you....

prognosis from fans until a couple if weeks ago was that his knees were shot ( like Lesley). so the last 2 matches have seen like a resurrection. Question that BC is posing is that he is not going to be guaranteed fully fit to play twice a week at Spurs level ..........and that is a concern.

As I have posted above I think it's a question as to whether Poch thinks it's a priority to replace Wanyama this summer or other priorities need fixing first - and that may depend on how Wanyama looks for rest of this season

I don’t know about the medical details, so am also just hypothesising (transfermarket lists one as Cartilage, two as “knee problems) , i would love to see Wanyama prove me wrong but that’s the other major problem, which you touch on, he’s been available for a while, and I said the same after one of his earlier outings, that I’d like to see him given a run from then on, just to see if he can get match fit again, because if he could, you know I’d have him out there ahead of Sissoko all day long, but Poch just hasn’t been prepared to trust him, preferring Sissoko.

First choice/second choice/third choice of signings I’d like, and realistically think we can, Spurs to sign this summer.

Grealish should be the first signing we make then..

De Ligt/Ake/Andersen
Doucoure/Gomes/Kovacic
Maddison/Brooks/Bowen
Sessengon/Jota/Harvey Barnes

Man utd after Eriksen?

If Eriksen has decided to leave, I just hope someone like Juve or Real come in with an offer over 60 mill early on in the summer and Levy takes it and hands it over to Poch to get in who he wants asap.

The danger will be if Levy delays Eriksen leaving until the last days of the window. No-one is going to pay any more so close to the close of the window, the temptation will be to simply walk away and wait for Eriksen to leave on a free in 2020. I can't remember the last time Levy has been in this situation where a top player has only 1 year left on his deal and he has to try and find the right fee from a buyer.

If Eriksen has decided to leave, I just hope someone like Juve or Real come in with an offer over 60 mill early on in the summer and Levy takes it and hands it over to Poch to get in who he wants asap.

The danger will be if Levy delays Eriksen leaving until the last days of the window. No-one is going to pay any more so close to the close of the window, the temptation will be to simply walk away and wait for Eriksen to leave on a free in 2020. I can't remember the last time Levy has been in this situation where a top player has only 1 year left on his deal and he has to try and find the right fee from a buyer.
We won't sell to a rival

We won't sell to a rival

Domestically?

Will be interesting to see what happens with Alderweireld. We could have got 50 mill for him last summer from Utd and now it looks as if he will end up there anyway for 25 mill. Bit of a financial fuck up tbh

With we might be in a similar situation with Eriksen. If Real or Juve don't want him, and it's only Utd making an offer, do we take 60-70 mill this summer or allow him the possibility to move there next year for free

What a shit situation. That's why we have to hope a big team from abroad wants Eriksen now and we have to get him away from the PL rather than be forced to sell him to a domestic rival

By the way I wouldnt be surprised to see Liverpool come in for both Alderweireld and Eriksen in the summer

Alderweireld alongside VVD and Eriksen supplying Mane, Salah and Firminho:pochrolleyes:

Spurs have little control over players - if they want to leave our only defence is to try to maximise the sales proceeds from the bidding club that the player is happy to go to. Whilst we can tell players we will only accept offers from abroad, if the player was adamant he wanted to stay in UK. Then Spurs Have to accept that situation.

Likewise if the player wants to maximise wages and is talking to several clubs and chooses to wait until the end of TW. Before agreeing terms with a club we don't have much control. Of course that means the player has little pre season with the new club and that is possibly our best defence against that situation.

I suspect DL will be having talks with all players with one year left on their contracts once Spurs know they are in CL next season to make the best pitch to players to see if they will sign a new contract on enhanced wages. If the player is money orientated they may sign but if they just want to go to Real or Barca etc then the offer will be of no interest to them

I'd love this to be true, but even if Wanyama could get match fit and back to his old self, the issues he's had suggest he's probably going to be pretty injury prone for the remainder of his career now.

I'd love the old Wanyama back, I think he'd be a great foil for Winks for example, but my head says new are probably better cashing in and getting a couple of CM's. We'll just end up with another Dembele scenario.
Agree very much with this.

I was delighted to see Vic get 90 mins under his belt and to score, but the people claiming he looked even close to back to his best based on yesterdays performance must have been watching a different game to me.
I thought he still looked sluggish and immobile when running, and watching him trying to press players at times was just painful.

I know Poch loves the guy but I really hope he doesn't let sentiment get in the way this Summer because he needs to be sold while we can still get any kind of fee for him.

Agree very much with this.

I was delighted to see Vic get 90 mins under his belt and to score, but the people claiming he looked even close to back to his best based on yesterdays performance must have been watching a different game to me.
I thought he still looked sluggish and immobile when running, and watching him trying to press players at times was just painful.

I know Poch loves the guy but I really hope he doesn't let sentiment get in the way this Summer because he needs to be sold while we can still get any kind of fee for him.

I really like Wanyama, but agree with this. I think our league fixtures are ‘easy’ enough for him to be very useful until the end of season. I hope it is just a lack of game time that is making him look sluggish when pressing and that improves.

I really like Wanyama, but agree with this. I think our league fixtures are ‘easy’ enough for him to be very useful until the end of season. I hope it is just a lack of game time that is making him look sluggish when pressing and that improves.

He hasn't looked that mobile since before the big injury.....

Encouraging, but it wasn't exactly a high tempo/hard running game. If it wasn't for the presence of our fringe players having something to prove the match would have fizzled out altogether by the 30min mark.

I wonder.... Is he gonna get this summer to prov himself tho' or will it be a case of us deciding who's for sale at the beginning of the window so that deals (in and out) can be pursued accordingly....?

His transfer value has dropped a fair bit this season. I'm comfortable with him going to Manchester.

Back
Top Bottom