Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thanks for insight. But why the diffenrence in HG status between the two countries? I mean, they are in the same league.

His speed is just stupendous. I don't know if you guys are able to see this video, because overseas, but it's from Swanseas meeting with Brentford in the FA Cup. He just destroyed them:

For the same reason Dier isn't classed as HG, idiocy basically.

Swansea & Cardiff can represent English clubs in Europe yet their academy isn't classed as HG. It's a joke.

I still can't believe Dier & Davies aren't classed as HG in UEFAs eyes. Appalling but are we really surprised??

Zinho Vanheusden playing on loan from Inter for Standard Liege is 1 of the best young cb's in Europe imo. We should be all over him. He's so composed!
tumblr_ppqjdrTNbP1r539hzo1_400.gif

Swansea & Cardiff can represent English clubs in Europe yet their academy isn't classed as HG. It's a joke.

I still can't believe Dier & Davies aren't classed as HG in UEFAs eyes. Appalling but are we really surprised??
Dier I can understand, despite his nationality. He spent his entire youth in Portugal, and even considers himself more Portugese than English.

But Davies has spent his entire career playing in the FA structure. It's complete idiocy.

Dier I can understand, despite his nationality. He spent his entire youth in Portugal, and even considers himself more Portugese than English.

But Davies has spent his entire career playing in the FA structure. It's complete idiocy.

I honestly don't see how people born in the country can't and shouldn't be regarded as homegrown. For me HG should be if a) someone was born in that country or b) have been trained by a team in that country for 3 years by the age of 21. As it stands, with HG players getting bigger chances to play at clubs better than their ability due to the HG rule (see Delph at Man City for example), it's preventing young players the chance to train in academies abroad. If you're a 5/10 English youngster and get the chance to join Benfica or Porto & their youth setup, you're automatically hindering your chances of playing at the highest level a season you rid yourself of the HG advantage. For me it's not a productive model to allow English youth to flourish. The academy quality can increase but it allows for English teams to develop non English players.

What's stopping Man U having an academy filled with French youngsters & no English prospects for example? The HG rule was implemented to ensure youth is given a chance at the benefit of the International side, it doesn't do so sufficiently IMO.

Swansea & Cardiff play in the English Leagues & Dier was born in Cheltenham. To me both are HG for different reasons yet neither get that benefit for some mental reasons that hinder British youth but allow Spanish youth like Fabregas back in the day to flourish and earn top dollar at clubs looking for the best HG opportunities. For me work needs to be done so English youngsters get opportunities to develop wherever they want without knocking them down the pecking order. That's how I see it anyway matey

Indeed.

Read: Bentaleb

Can't have it both ways.

Why can't both ways work geez? A simple rule change that states the current rules are adhered to but also add that anyone born in the country they play in by birthright is HG? I don't get how it would effect things negatively for any clubs globally & more importantly the youngsters themselves.

If a parent feels the culture of a Spanish club would be better for their kids growth than say West Ham, surely that will only benefit England having youth increase their options and decision making choices. Either way Davies not being HG in UEFAs eyes is insane, that one I can't get my head around seeing at Swansea & Cardiff are in the English Leagues. Madness

I would be really hesitent to go after any 30 year-old "win now" kind of signings. We need to rebuild with younger talent to replace players currently in their peak years, not create a Man City-type road block of too many old players at the wrong time. We can't afford that as we can't afford to have any more dead wood on the books and in the squad. We're seeing how that limits us right now.

And Gareth Bale is too old, too injured, and too expensive to justify signing. You never look back, and in his case, with very good reason.

I would say that we have a good stock of youth players coming through who are able to step up to the first team - Winks, Skipp, Sanchez, Foyth, KWP have all looked very capable. Onamah and N'Koudu seem out of favor. Of course, Kane is only 25, Alli 23, Auerier & Son & Moura 26, Dier 25.

If Bale were to come back, I'm sure this would be heavily subsidised by commercial & sponsorship deals. Its a shame the way his career has panned out. Won them 2 champions league titles and now has a cabinet full of trophies - but for whatever reason was never liked in Spain and future generations are unlikely to regard him as one of the greats. Its now or never for him to rebuild his reputation in what is probably the final 2 seasons with a 'Top' club. He can be ridiculed on the Madrid bench or prove himself at another club. I personally would not mind seeing a Bale - Kane - Son front 3 with Sissoko - Eriksen - Alli sat in behind them.

I dont see the problem tbh.

Dier was trained in Lisbon and Davies in Swansea. How can they be home grown?

As someone pointed out Bentaleb was HG. Cant have it both ways.

I dont see the problem tbh.

Dier was trained in Lisbon and Davies in Swansea. How can they be home grown?

As someone pointed out Bentaleb was HG. Cant have it both ways.

Swansea play in the English Leagues though, they would represent England in club level European football so I can't see how they fall under non HG. It's a tricky one but how I see it if they play in the English leagues, their layers should in theory be seen as HG. It's an iffy one but other leagues across Europe get 100% of their teams in their top two leagues to develop HG talent, at present England only has 38 which equates to 5% less to choose from I believe. That makes it somewhat unfair for English clubs and very unfair on Swansea & Cardiff as they can't pickup players from other teams in the leagues they represent to qualify for HG

I honestly don't see how people born in the country can't and shouldn't be regarded as homegrown. For me HG should be if a) someone was born in that country or b) have been trained by a team in that country for 3 years by the age of 21. As it stands, with HG players getting bigger chances to play at clubs better than their ability due to the HG rule (see Delph at Man City for example), it's preventing young players the chance to train in academies abroad. If you're a 5/10 English youngster and get the chance to join Benfica or Porto & their youth setup, you're automatically hindering your chances of playing at the highest level a season you rid yourself of the HG advantage. For me it's not a productive model to allow English youth to flourish. The academy quality can increase but it allows for English teams to develop non English players.

What's stopping Man U having an academy filled with French youngsters & no English prospects for example? The HG rule was implemented to ensure youth is given a chance at the benefit of the International side, it doesn't do so sufficiently IMO.

Swansea & Cardiff play in the English Leagues & Dier was born in Cheltenham. To me both are HG for different reasons yet neither get that benefit for some mental reasons that hinder British youth but allow Spanish youth like Fabregas back in the day to flourish and earn top dollar at clubs looking for the best HG opportunities. For me work needs to be done so English youngsters get opportunities to develop wherever they want without knocking them down the pecking order. That's how I see it anyway matey

I'm pretty sure there are rules about "importing" under 18 players now?

Swansea play in the English Leagues though, they would represent England in club level European football so I can't see how they fall under non HG. It's a tricky one but how I see it if they play in the English leagues, their layers should in theory be seen as HG. It's an iffy one but other leagues across Europe get 100% of their teams in their top two leagues to develop HG talent, at present England only has 38 which equates to 5% less to choose from I believe. That makes it somewhat unfair for English clubs and very unfair on Swansea & Cardiff as they can't pickup players from other teams in the leagues they represent to qualify for HG

Davies is a tricky one. But Dier is straightforward.

I would be really hesitent to go after any 30 year-old "win now" kind of signings. We need to rebuild with younger talent to replace players currently in their peak years, not create a Man City-type road block of too many old players at the wrong time. We can't afford that as we can't afford to have any more dead wood on the books and in the squad. We're seeing how that limits us right now.

And Gareth Bale is too old, too injured, and too expensive to justify signing. You never look back, and in his case, with very good reason.

I would say that we have a good stock of youth players coming through who are able to step up to the first team - Winks, Skipp, Sanchez, Foyth, KWP have all looked very capable. Onamah and N'Koudu seem out of favor. Of course, Kane is only 25, Alli 23, Auerier & Son & Moura 26, Dier 25.

If Bale were to come back, I'm sure this would be heavily subsidised by commercial & sponsorship deals. Its a shame the way his career has panned out. Won them 2 champions league titles and now has a cabinet full of trophies - but for whatever reason was never liked in Spain and future generations are unlikely to regard him as one of the greats. Its now or never for him to rebuild his reputation in what is probably the final 2 seasons with a 'Top' club. He can be ridiculed on the Madrid bench or prove himself at another club. I personally would not mind seeing a Bale - Kane - Son front 3 with Sissoko - Eriksen - Alli sat in behind them.

It was a bodge to appease EU freedom of movement laws, doubt it would change if brexit as the CL rules won't.

Dier and Davies are separate issues, Swansea are governed by WFA even though they play in our league by invite.

They are trying to make HG 3years under 18 rather than 21 which will make it less likely non native players will be HG.

Both reduculous though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom