Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Villa are promoted via playoffs, what is the reaction of the club who lost to Villa in the playoffs (given that Villa's FFP position is well known) ? What are the clubs in general going to be saying to EFL if Villa have vastly exceeded FFP limits in the season they gained promotion ?
Rules are clear, so gutted but no recourse I would think. EFL don't promote a team the PL invites the team, they invite the playoff winner, would need epl to change their rules or elf to impose the points deduction before the play off.

He's now had 2 full seasons of being the captain at Ajax. He's no longer the hot new thing. He's just a fucking brilliant young centre back. So he's not getting the hype as much, regardless of how much he deserves it.

The Dutch footy bod on TS seemed to think that De Ligt to Barca was already as good as done behind the scenes.

The Dutch footy bod on TS seemed to think that De Ligt to Barca was already as good as done behind the scenes.
Just like Rabiot who the media claimed signed a pre-contract with Barca months ago, but he's still whoring himself out to any big club that might take him.

It probably is. Barca need to rebuild, and La Masia isn't cutting it. Going to be interesting to see what the final price is. Ajax have been pretty determined to never have an Eriksen situation happen ever again, and got full value for Davinson and de Jong.

As good a talent that Grealish is, I still make the club right not to give them £30m+ last season. If I recall correctly he got around 3 assists in the Championship the year before this one and even though the club get it in the neck not getting this one over the line, the rumoured £25m was a fair price. Unfortunately Grealish is worth more than £25m to them due to his support for the club, the increased chances of promotion with his creativity etc.

Anymore than £25m would have been lopsided for a player with potential but very little to show he had grown enough to become a proper player. It's a tough one as I'd love Grealish and would probably pay £30m for him now after his developments but last summer £25m was a good and reasonable price for us to pay, hence why nobody else had shown interest at that price or higher
Honestly, I would've payed it, given how well he solved a couple of issues for us. As it stands, we're probably going to have to pay a chunk more than that, now.

Honestly, I would've payed it, given how well he solved a couple of issues for us. As it stands, we're probably going to have to pay a chunk more than that, now.

I'd have loved to see him in our shirt as he had the raw tools & swagger Pochettino admires in a creative player. Them getting their takeover just made our clever negotiating get a real raw deal. Any other club, any other time and we'd have bagged a bargain when times are tighht for us.

Hindsight and all of that but I still think the club were right prolonging negotiations. How often does a club in their situation get a last minute takeover to bail them out at the 11th hour when negotiating the sale of their best asset? It was more Villa getting lucky than us being complacent.

Tottenham’s scouts have been blown away by Hull City rising star Jarrod Bowen ahead of a possible summer swoop as he evokes comparisons with Liverpool superstar Mohamed Salah, Football Insider understands.

“His playing style is just like [Mohamed] Salah”, a Spurs recruitment source told Football Insider. “He is a left-footed winger who plays on the right flank and loves cutting inside and running at defenders.

“Like Salah, he’s quite small but really strong and difficult to get off the ball. You can’t push him around. He will run all day, he tracks back, works hard and comes alive with the ball at his feet.

“He is becoming really clinical in front of goal and has been scoring for fun, even though Championship clubs are doubling up on him and trying to stop him cutting on to his left foot.

Tottenham transfer news: Bowen swoop plotted - Exclusive

I'd have loved to see him in our shirt as he had the raw tools & swagger Pochettino admires in a creative player. Them getting their takeover just made our clever negotiating get a real raw deal. Any other club, any other time and we'd have bagged a bargain when times are tighht for us.

Hindsight and all of that but I still think the club were right prolonging negotiations. How often does a club in their situation get a last minute takeover to bail them out at the 11th hour when negotiating the sale of their best asset? It was more Villa getting lucky than us being complacent.
Probably, but dammit, we sure as hell could do with him right about now.

Tottenham’s scouts have been blown away by Hull City rising star Jarrod Bowen ahead of a possible summer swoop as he evokes comparisons with Liverpool superstar Mohamed Salah, Football Insider understands.

“His playing style is just like [Mohamed] Salah”, a Spurs recruitment source told Football Insider. “He is a left-footed winger who plays on the right flank and loves cutting inside and running at defenders.

“Like Salah, he’s quite small but really strong and difficult to get off the ball. You can’t push him around. He will run all day, he tracks back, works hard and comes alive with the ball at his feet.

“He is becoming really clinical in front of goal and has been scoring for fun, even though Championship clubs are doubling up on him and trying to stop him cutting on to his left foot.

A good, smart move.

So you mean we will get a lot more penalties and a player that's immune for offside? :levywhoa:

We've seldom had that policy under ENIC or Pochettino's reign so I don't see it changing anytime soon. I'm a big advocate of blending youth with seniority in the squad. Less risk, resale value if it doesn't work out and the energy required for a Pochettino team. I also think that whilst a senior player of 30 as you've mentioned could have it's benefits, I also think sticking one on £150k per week when the rest of the squad, bar Kane is on less or similar could cause disruptions and harmony with the nucleus who are pushing Tottenham forward.

It's tough, but if there's limited money due to the stadium costs etc I'm sure Levy & Pochettino would rather pay for younger players and maximise their investment rewards. Also, is there a top 30 year old who would take £150k that can push us on that springs to mind?

Shit hot youngsters and maybe 1-2 mid 20 units will do me. It's all about the long term
when you say 'seldom had that policy', are you talking about mason, bentaleb, kane, winks, walker-peters?

Daniel James is just lightning :walkercry: No homegrown status for Welsh ppl?

Sadly as James has been with Swansea since he was 16, he'll have been developed under a club affiliated to Football Association of Wales so will be regarded as 'overseas trained' (ie not HG) by FA affiliated Spurs for UEFA matches - although he will be for PL purposes. So same issue as Davies

Interesting player though, although as he only made his Championship debut at the start of this season and only notched up 28 games for Swansea so far he might be one to sign and put back on loan for a season or until Christmas to gain more experience. He'll be 22 in November so count as an u21 for PL.

On the other hand he looked pretty good for Wales v Slovakia (a similar standard of opposition that Callum Hudson- Odoi was lauded for his England debut for), so Poch might decide he's good enough - but that will only work if Poch actually plays him to give him the experience. Certainly a better option than N'Koudou as a speedy winger though.

Swansea were reported to have accepted a bid from Bielsa at Leeds fof £10m (but only £1.5m up front) in January, but then an internal row at Swansea on 'payment terms' meant it wasn't completed. Expect Bielsa (Poch original mentor) to try again in the summer .

Sadly as James has been with Swansea since he was 16, he'll have been developed under a club affiliated to Football Association of Wales so will be regarded as 'overseas trained' (ie not HG) by FA affiliated Spurs for UEFA matches - although he will be for PL purposes. So same issue as Davies

Interesting player though, although as he only made his Championship debut at the start of this season and only notched up 28 games for Swansea so far he might be one to sign and put back on loan for a season or until Christmas to gain more experience. He'll be 22 in November so count as an u21 for PL.

On the other hand he looked pretty good for Wales v Slovakia (a similar standard of opposition that Callum Hudson- Odoi was lauded for his England debut for), so Poch might decide he's good enough - but that will only work if Poch actually plays him to give him the experience. Certainly a better option than N'Koudou as a speedy winger though.

Swansea were reported to have accepted a bid from Bielsa at Leeds fof £10m (but only £1.5m up front) in January, but then an internal row at Swansea on 'payment terms' meant it wasn't completed. Expect Bielsa (Poch original mentor) to try again in the summer .

Thanks for insight. But why the diffenrence in HG status between the two countries? I mean, they are in the same league.

His speed is just stupendous. I don't know if you guys are able to see this video, because overseas, but it's from Swanseas meeting with Brentford in the FA Cup. He just destroyed them:

Back
Top Bottom