Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ve had a few reservations about Sanchez for a while now, but tried to put them to the back of my mind and try to consider his age and potential. But there’s just something about his style of play which worries me.

He’s not particularly strong or quick, lacks composure at times, and isn’t exactly great with the ball at his feet. Above all, I never feel entirely safe with him in the side, particularly in a back four.

I’ve had a few reservations about Sanchez for a while now, but tried to put them to the back of my mind and try to consider his age and potential. But there’s just something about his style of play which worries me.

He’s not particularly strong or quick, lacks composure at times, and isn’t exactly great with the ball at his feet. Above all, I never feel entirely safe with him in the side, particularly in a back four.
He's never gonna be Jan or Toby level IMO

He was absolutely shocking today.

Imagine if that was Foyth out there (Who has NEVER played that badly). His thread would have had two full pages full of posts by people, who have no idea what they're talking about, telling us he's crap.

Can't help Sanchez though that he's playing within a different back four/five EVERY single game. One games he's with Alderweireld. Next time he's with Alderweireld and Aurier. Next he's got Trippier next to him. Now he's got Walker-Peters next to him. Sometimes he's in a back three with Foyth and Alderweireld, and then in a back three with Alderweireld and Vertonghen.

Can't be good for anyones development at that age.

Sanchez has been horrendous this season

I think everyone this season has pretty much been worse off defensively. Vertonghen was better last season, Sanchez was better last season. Trippier was better last season. Aurier hasn't played anywhere near enough games last season.

If anything, Toby is the only one who's really performed any better than last season but that's because missed half of last season and has played the majority of this one to a high level.

Diamond formation probably hasn't helped nor is having no real screen in front of them.

I think everyone this season has pretty much been worse off defensively. Vertonghen was better last season, Sanchez was better last season. Trippier was better last season. Aurier hasn't played anywhere near enough games last season.

If anything, Toby is the only one who's really performed any better than last season but that's because missed half of last season and has played the majority of this one to a high level.

Diamond formation probably hasn't helped nor is having no real screen in front of them.
Agree. Toby has been actually top 3 player of our season. Poch himself has been somehow poor as well this season we did like 5/6 top games this season only. Depressing season.

This season he has shown that he is not the player we thought we'd get.
The only times he looked ok is when in a back 3... with 2 good defenders to cover for him.
I won't be crying if he goes in the summer and we buy a real defender.

He's under-performed as well as every other one of our defenders bar Alderweireld have.

He's 22.
Doesn't mean he should be starting though. If Toby/Jan is fit he should definitely not be starting right now considering how important every point is getting.

I definitely prefer Foyth ahead of him right now too. He needs to step up and do a lot better next year. He looks really strong and fast but somehow he's always getting bullied by smaller, weaker players.

In what world has Vertonghen underperformed this season. Oh look it's Totti with another outlandish goes against the grain comment...bravo bravo.

I don't think Vertonghen has been as good this season as he was last season. Alot more individual errors for a start. Doesnt help that he's played 18 less games in all comps either through injury.

If you think he has performed to the exact same or a higher standard, well done you

Can't help Sanchez though that he's playing within a different back four/five EVERY single game. One games he's with Alderweireld. Next time he's with Alderweireld and Aurier. Next he's got Trippier next to him. Now he's got Walker-Peters next to him. Sometimes he's in a back three with Foyth and Alderweireld, and then in a back three with Alderweireld and Vertonghen.

Can't be good for anyones development at that age.
Yes, that's a fair point. But I think it's his defending in 1v1 situations that is frightening the piss out of people.

Yes, that's a fair point. But I think it's his defending in 1v1 situations that is frightening the piss out of people.

It's just inconsistent.

Sometimes he's poor at it and there's other times like against Mitrović against Fulham where he done it well.

He was perfectly fine last season and when had a run of games alongside Vertonghen, he deputised incredibly well for Alderweireld.

He strikes me as someone who will develop into one of those centre halves that has ability and can be good on their day, but is also someone who will be targeted, can be easily ruffled and could cost you the game in the blink of an eye.
Think David Luiz, Otamendi and centre halves of that ilk. He's just so rash and not good enough on the ball to become the really top drawer centre half we thought he would.
Hope I'm proved wrong of course.

It's just inconsistent.

Sometimes he's poor at it and there's other times like against Mitrović against Fulham where he done it well.

He was perfectly fine last season and when had a run of games alongside Vertonghen, he deputised incredibly well for Alderweireld.
He was better last season, sure. But how much improvement is there in him? Will he ever be ever to command a defence?

He was better last season, sure. But how much improvement is there in him? Will he ever be ever to command a defence?

We won't know until he's given consistent game time with a consistent partner.

There's a lot he CAN improve on. Whether or not he improves these parts are down to him. I think he's had more good games than bad.

Back
Top Bottom