Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Incorrect.

He has said he wanted Hazard. But he went elsewhere. Not because no money was made available.

They met multiple times.
Don't be silly , we would have never payed the fee or wages . The Chavs just blew us away. Of course we wanted him but like Freakish Grealish we offered fuck all .
To be fair to little Hazard if trophies was his game he made the right decision on treble money , no brainer .
No poor old Harry had to hit the Jan bargain basement .

Don't be silly , we would have never payed the fee or wages . The Chavs just blew us away. Of course we wanted him but like Freakish Grealish we offered fuck all .
No poor old Harry had to hit the Jan bargain basement .
So, now there was money available?

Or are you suggesting Harry was there to negotiate Lille letting Hazard go for free?

Go away, figure out exactly what you're trying to say and come back.

So, now there was money available?

Or are you suggesting Harry was there to negotiate Lille letting Hazard go for free?

Go away, figure out exactly what you're trying to say and come back.
The Hazard scenario was going on over 2/3 Windows with various clubs . Naturally you listen to all comers but we weren't at the races .
Believe what you like but Harry given money couldn't resist spending if given the opportunity .
He was let down as poor Poch is today even you can't defend the obvious .

The Hazard scenario was going on over 2/3 Windows with various clubs . Naturally you listen to all comers but we weren't at the races .
Believe what you like but Harry given money couldn't resist spending if given the opportunity .
He was let down as poor Poch is today even you can't defend the obvious .
So if Harry ''wasn't given any dosh''...was Harry negotiating to sign Hazard from Lille for free?

Don't be afraid to answer the question now.

So if Harry ''wasn't given any dosh''...was Harry negotiating to sign Hazard from Lille for free?

Don't be afraid to answer the question now.
We have had a policy of buying young talented long term propects with sell on potential , which will be eventually sold if the price is good.
Sanchez , Modric , Lamela , Eriksen,
So you right in the sense money is available but in this case the long term and profitable sell .
if we managed to buy him he would have left us 4 years ago.
No money would be given for the finished quality article especially as they had no sell on . So the poor old sod had to make good for the final push.
Our zero net spend over a decade shows we have fuck all.

We have had a policy of buying young talented long term propects with sell on potential , which will be eventually sold if the price is good.
Sanchez , Modric , Lamela , Eriksen,
So you right in the sense money is available but in this case the long term.
No money would be given for the finished quality article especially as they had no sell on . So the poor old sod had to make good for the final push.
Our zero net spend over a decade shows we have fuck all.
Right...so now we've determined money was available, what's the excuse for Harry not spending it considering, and I quote...''Harry given money couldn't resist spending if given the opportunity .''

Look we are going round the houses.
All lm saying no money was given to Harry in that transfer Jan window and he tried to make good with
crumbs.
Hazard was signed in the summer not Jan.
keep on with the party line , May's got a job for you with Brexit , you could spin anything.

Look we are going round the houses.
All lm saying no money was given to Harry in that transfer Jan window and he tried to make good with
crumbs.
Hazard was signed in the summer not Jan.
keep on with the party line , May's got a job for you with Brexit , you could spin anything.
Just presenting you your own words.

Because it makes you look silly is your own fault.

You said there was no money to spend, then 2 posts later says there was money to spend.

As I said initially, go away, figure out exactly what you want to say and come back.

He's completely spot on though...just a shame he's decided to say this now when fuck all can happen as opposed to a couple of transfer windows ago.
I don't see it as anything to do with transfers, it's about THESE players we have now.

Don't confuse the two transfers and his words (not directing that to you, just a general statement) transfers etc can be debated constantly as it has been but Poch is talking to his squad of players, that's all he can do. They are the ones who are not performing now, he needs to get something out of them. This squad is now fit (or very nearly fit) and that in itself should be a positive impact on the squad, the mentality was better when we had half the team out.

Talking about transfer activity doesn't solve a single issue with what is going on with the team right now, it serves no purpose, other than for him to fire a shot across the bows that to change something in the summer means some of you (the players) will be shipped off.

You have to also be mindful that Poch is the guy that HASN'T bought in a player, the funds have been there to bring someone in, Poch has chosen not to.

But right now Poch needs to get something out of the squad now, the players that are here, he needs them to improve.

Last edited:
Even if it's true that fighting for top 4 is our level (and I reckon it is), the timing of some of his remarks recently has been alaming. He's got verbal diarrhoea right now and really needs to put a cork in it. Of course there a number of mitigating circumstances but he is throwing us under a bus at the moment. He's as culpable as anyone for the amateur performance levels we have seen this season.

"I am a little bit worried about this change from the first half to the second half - it's only one thing, it's mental.
"It's about complacency, it's about arrogance in a bad way"

So Poch says its mentality.........but those who understand him the most say it isnt.

Beat Dortmund, days later lose to Southampton
Beat Dortmund, days later lose to Burnley
Beat Inter, days later lose to Woolwich
Beat Dortmund, days later goalless draw with Swansea
Beat Liverpool, days later lose to West Ham
Beat Real Madrid, days later labour to a 1-0 win over Palace and then lose to Woolwich
Beat Dortmund away, days later draw with WBA and then lose to Leicester
Draw at Juve from 2-0 down, days later draw 2-2 with Rochdale

That people genuinely believe its squad quality thats the problem, and not mental application is laughable

Even if it's true that fighting for top 4 is our level (and I reckon it is), the timing of some of his remarks recently has been alaming. He's got verbal diarrhoea right now and really needs to put a cork in it. Of course there a number of mitigating circumstances but he is throwing us under a bus at the moment. He's as culpable as anyone for the amateur performance levels we have seen this season.
What else can he say mate? If you are the manager and you need to get a reaction from the players what do you say to them? Bear in mind that there is a CL quarter-final still to play along with the remainder of PL games. He can't do a Sherwood or a Mourinho can he? He has to hurt them as pro-footballers, by saying to this group you are not at the level of a top team will hurt, he's looking for a reaction from that, he wants them to prove he's wrong IMO.

Poch didn't get anything wrong yesterday, our players did, they didn't perform in the 2nd half. The first half showed the quality is there, that 1st half was one of our best halves we have played this season, the 2nd was one of the worst. This is about mentality, not tactics, not subs, not formations, these players didn't compete against their opponents.

"I am a little bit worried about this change from the first half to the second half - it's only one thing, it's mental.
"It's about complacency, it's about arrogance in a bad way"

So Poch says its mentality.........but those who understand him the most say it isnt.

Beat Dortmund, days later lose to Southampton
Beat Dortmund, days later lose to Burnley
Beat Inter, days later lose to Woolwich
Beat Dortmund, days later goalless draw with Swansea
Beat Liverpool, days later lose to West Ham
Beat Real Madrid, days later labour to a 1-0 win over Palace and then lose to Woolwich
Beat Dortmund away, days later draw with WBA and then lose to Leicester
Draw at Juve from 2-0 down, days later draw 2-2 with Rochdale

That people genuinely believe its squad quality that's the problem, and not mental application is laughable
I agree 100% its mentality but it's not so linear with the example you give (I'll be honest I can't recall how we played in some of those games. Whilst disappointing to lose any game if the performance is there it can't always be put down to mentality. Also, some of those results might also show the effect of playing in Europe. e.g we lost against Utd at Wembley, I thought we were superb, our mentality was fantastic. Many games this season it's been our mentality that has got the points whilst the performance was shite.

BUT, yes this team has an issue when they think they've got it in the bag. I think this team performs when it's got something to prove when it's being doubted. But when it's absolutely dominant, playing with such domination then it can get arrogant, yesterday was prime. Remember the West Ham game in Kangeroo Cup, these games where we've been so fantastic, so dominant we've then played like wankers in the 2nd half. It's so hard to find the genesis for this, which I think is the biggest worry.

What else can he say mate?
There are a million ways he could waffle his way through an answer to a question like that.

If you are the manager and you need to get a reaction from the players what do you say to them?
You don't call them out publicly. You just don't do it. All he has to do is tell lies. Managers are paid to tell lies. For example, keep saying what an honour it is to play at Wembley and when we finally get away from it, say what a rotten dump it was, and how many points it cost us.
He has to hurt them as pro-footballers, by saying to this group you are not at the level of a top team will hurt, he's looking for a reaction from that, he wants them to prove he's wrong IMO.
His tactics are garbage, Guido. I have a pain in my arse looking at this diamond. He is putting all of the blame on the players to preserve his reputation. He is as culpable as any of them. They don't look motivated half the time-it is his job to get them motivated. This is turning into Harry Redknapp blaming everyone but himself.
The first half showed the quality is there, that 1st half was one of our best halves we have played this season, the 2nd was one of the worst. This is about mentality, not tactics, not subs, not formations, these players didn't compete against their opponents.
There are 2 sides to that coin, however. Southampton were atrocious in the first half. They helped to make us look good. Poch's tactics and game management were poor. If he isn't looking at his own role in all of this, he's being a moron.

BUT, yes this team has an issue when they think they've got it in the bag. I think this team performs when it's got something to prove when it's being doubted. But when it's absolutely dominant, playing with such domination then it can get arrogant, yesterday was prime. Remember the West Ham game in Kangeroo Cup, these games where we've been so fantastic, so dominant we've then played like wankers in the 2nd half. It's so hard to find the genesis for this, which I think is the biggest worry.
This is something that really has to be addressed. We can talk about buying player X or player Y to get us to win a title as much as we want but until this mentality is fixed we ain't winning shit.

Back
Top Bottom