Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is something that really has to be addressed. We can talk about buying player X or player Y to get us to win a title as much as we want but until this mentality is fixed we ain't winning shit.
Which is why for years we've been crying out for a couple of proven winners who have been there and won major domestic titles.
But we simply refuse to pay the transfer fee or even the wages.

Our policy has been to buy cheaper up and coming prospects with huge sell on potential when they reach their peak. It's got us so far, but as Poch himself said, we need to be brave and spend more money if we want to push on.

We are not going to fix this problem unless we bring in competition for places. This group has gone stale and that's that.
Agreed. But it's just that. We need to refresh the squad to develop a stronger mentality. It won't automatically mean trophies. But it will put us closer to them.

We are not going to fix this problem unless we bring in competition for places. This group has gone stale and that's that.
But the people that need rotation are undroppable, and seemingly most are ok with it.
I tried to suggest Dele and Kane needed rotating two years ago....haha, remember the responses.
Eriksen could do with a stint on the bench this season....how did that pan out?

Everyone IS rotated when we have fitness....but not those three.

A tad far fetched for people to say that the likes of Dier, Sissoko,Winks, Trippier, Rose, Davies, Aurier, Lamela, Moura, Wanyama, Sanchez, Foyth are ALL not good enough don’t you think?
Some perhaps....but the table over the last three years hasn’t been down to luck, three players or Pochs magic wand.

Maybe it’s everyone’s favourites who have gone stale

But the people that need rotation are undroppable
If that is the case, it is because the alternatives are fucking hideous, sammy.
A tad far fetched for people to say that the likes of Dier, Sissoko,Winks, Trippier, Rose, Davies, Aurier, Lamela, Moura, Wanyama, Sanchez, Foyth are ALL not good enough don’t you think?
That's a mixed bag of players. Most of them are expendable, but that's not to say they are all useless or anything. We've really let the problems pile up. Good enough for what is the question.
Maybe it’s everyone’s favourites who have gone stale
I think the manager's gone a bit stale, too. Maybe he can pull it out of the fire. Or maybe this is his limit.

When half the team is out injured there is very little competition for the plac
There are a million ways he could waffle his way through an answer to a question like that.

You don't call them out publicly. You just don't do it. All he has to do is tell lies. Managers are paid to tell lies. For example, keep saying what an honour it is to play at Wembley and when we finally get away from it, say what a rotten dump it was, and how many points it cost us.

His tactics are garbage, Guido. I have a pain in my arse looking at this diamond. He is putting all of the blame on the players to preserve his reputation. He is as culpable as any of them. They don't look motivated half the time-it is his job to get them motivated. This is turning into Harry Redknapp blaming everyone but himself.

There are 2 sides to that coin, however. Southampton were atrocious in the first half. They helped to make us look good. Poch's tactics and game management were poor. If he isn't looking at his own role in all of this, he's being a moron.
But the FIRST half would you say we were motivated or not? How do you as a manager recognise it going from sublime to shite in the space of 15mins. At half time he was no doubt telling them how good they were but wanting more of the same. It was the players that didn't up their game, it's on them, has to be.
In the first half were our tactics spot on or not? His tactics have been brilliant buy getting results with half the team not available to him this season.
Your Wembley example just goes to show how good a motivator he is, doesn't it? We all know it's shite but he's got the players to turn up there, not for one but TWO seasons!

Of course, the buck stops with the manager, he is and will always be solely responsible, it goes with the big bucks. But what we saw against Burnley and Southampton was shite from the players. He's close to this team, he knows more about the individuals in this team more than anyone, I trust him in what he needs to say to get the reaction from them (he's done it before).

No manager gets it right all of the time but for me right now it's about the players. I have sympathy with Poch because we've had our eyes on competing for the top spot, for any athlete to have that goal removed and the new goal is to aim for 4th is fucking hard. Those that are chasing us have had their eyes on this goal all season, it has been their entire focus. For us we know have to get motivated from going from focussing on 1st to 4th, this isn't easy.

Even if everyone were fit, the competition's not there. Starting 11 still more or less picks itself.
Our mentality has been better when half the team was out, whilst playing shite we've still got the job done with inferior players or compromised shape/system as a result. We get our best 11 available (almost as some may not be peak yet) and we fail. So, I'd argue that we have more than an OK squad, that's been proved.

I'm not saying that there are players that don't need to be moved on, there absolutely are, but we've competed all season with the worst set of injuries (lack of preseason too) I've ever seen.

But the FIRST half would you say we were motivated or not?
I thought we looked motivated, yes, albeit we were pushing at an open door.
How do you as a manager recognise it going from sublime to shite in the space of 15mins. At half time he was no doubt telling them how good they were but wanting more of the same. It was the players that didn't up their game, it's on them, has to be.
It being a game of two halves and all that jazz, you've got to expect the opposition to raise their levels in the second half when they have been horrific in the first.
In the first half were our tactics spot on or not?
We were getting away with a system I have no time for. We had chances, we weren't clinical enough. If you were the Southampton manager, what would you have said about their first half performance?
Your Wembley example just goes to show how good a motivator he is, doesn't it? We all know it's shite but he's got the players to turn up there, not for one but TWO seasons!
We play well in spells. We often need a HT team talk to wake up. I'd say we have been getting away with murder because although we have been racking up the wins, we have been too reliant on individuals. Why do we start so many games so slowly? Does he play funeral music to them before sending them out?
But what we saw against Burnley and Southampton was shite from the players.
Yes, it was shite from the players. And shite from the manager, too. Why has it got to be one or the other? Why can't it be both? Selected Foyth up at Burnley, played like a monkey, have we seen him since?
No manager gets it right all of the time but for me right now it's about the players. I have sympathy with Poch because we've had our eyes on competing for the top spot, for any athlete to have that goal removed and the new goal is to aim for 4th is fucking hard. Those that are chasing us have had their eyes on this goal all season, it has been their entire focus. For us we know have to get motivated from going from focussing on 1st to 4th, this isn't easy.
If you were one of our better players and all we signed in 2 years was Moura, would you feel you were treading water as regards your career?

Our mentality has been better when half the team was out, whilst playing shite we've still got the job done with inferior players or compromised shape/system as a result.
Has it? Or have we been getting away with things? Are we too predictable? Are our weaknesses glaringly obvious?
So, I'd argue that we have more than an OK squad, that's been proved.
Yes, it's a decent squad but instead of evolving, it has regressed. We are nowhere near being the team we were 2 years ago. Nowhere near as enjoyable to watch, or as capable of controlling a game.

I'm not saying that there are players that don't need to be moved on, there absolutely are, but we've competed all season with the worst set of injuries (lack of preseason too) I've ever seen.
We have had some awful luck with injuries and stuff but we've been torn apart by the likes of Leicester and still come out with the 3 points. In terms of our results, we have had some incredible luck.

If you think what's happening is down to the mentality of the players, may I ask you which ones in particular do you think are letting us down?

Has it? Or have we been getting away with things? Are we too predictable? Are our weaknesses glaringly obvious?

Yes, it's a decent squad but instead of evolving, it has regressed. We are nowhere near being the team we were 2 years ago. Nowhere near as enjoyable to watch, or as capable of controlling a game.

We have had some awful luck with injuries and stuff but we've been torn apart by the likes of Leicester and still come out with the 3 points. In terms of our results, we have had some incredible luck.

If you think what's happening is down to the mentality of the players, may I ask you which ones in particular do you think are letting us down?
Two years ago we were playing at 'home'! This is massive. That said we were better when we had Walker and Rose (last games fuck up aside, Rose has only started to play close to his previous levels of TWO years ago in the last 2 or 3 months or so) also, when we had Wanyama and Dembele available (Dembele has also had injury issues but Wanyama was also a bit of a baller too. Our deficiencies are solely in these areas, first half yesterday was almost on par with what we enjoyed a couple of years back, IMO the biggest influence in this was Dier at the base of the diamond, dropping between our CB's gave a real balance and enabled us to control the midfield, something we've failed to do for ages.

The worry I have is I've no idea the genesis for our mentality, players that I don't think you can point the finger at are Dele (he faded in the 2nd half but think this was physical having been out for so long), Kane because he's always cared. But I do trust Poch will know.

Two years ago we were playing at 'home'! This is massive. That said we were better when we had Walker and Rose (last games fuck up aside, Rose has only started to play close to his previous levels of TWO years ago in the last 2 or 3 months or so) also, when we had Wanyama and Dembele available (Dembele has also had injury issues but Wanyama was also a bit of a baller too. Our deficiencies are solely in these areas, first half yesterday was almost on par with what we enjoyed a couple of years back, IMO the biggest influence in this was Dier at the base of the diamond, dropping between our CB's gave a real balance and enabled us to control the midfield, something we've failed to do for ages.
I saw you say that during the game yesterday, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 , and I have to take a rest now. I detest Eric Dier. Absolutely detest him. I think he encapsulates everything that has gone wrong with this team. I don't want to talk about it.

But was that the case when Son could have played instead of Dele when Dele was hideous? He played in the CL when Dele was banned, looked fine to me.

We just showed that Llorente can do a job.
Why not last season?

Is it any wonder that Lamela and Moura don’t progress when no matter how bad Eriksen and Dele are they will always go straight back in?
To say we have hideous options is just false.

That's a mixed bag of players. Most of them are expendable, but that's not to say they are all useless or anything. We've really let the problems pile up. Good enough for what is the question.
Well that is the question....and it should be asked if the whole squad.
Apparently Eriksen and Dele are good enough.....I don’t see any cups though.

But was that the case when Son could have played instead of Dele when Dele was hideous? He played in the CL when Dele was banned, looked fine to me.
Son is a very streaky player who had a lousy start to the season, sammy.
We just showed that Llorente can do a job.
Why not last season?
Llorente is a donkey, sammy. I wouldn't call it doing a job.
Is it any wonder that Lamela and Moura don’t progress when no matter how bad Eriksen and Dele are they will always go straight back in?
To say we have hideous options is just false.
The difference between Eriksen and Alli and those other 2 is night and day for me, sammy. I am not getting into a debate about Eriksen with you.

Son is a very streaky player who had a lousy start to the season, sammy.
You mean the season he ripped Dortmund to bits at Wembley but kept getting dropped for a dog shite Dele in the PL?
Llorente is a donkey, sammy. I wouldn't call it doing a job.
contributed to 10 goals in 10 games while he stood in though.
Poch didn’t bother with him for 18 months prior to that. We may have had a decent player if he had

And I wouldn’t debate Eriksen either way.
I’ve let him do his talking on the pitch for me.

I think the manager's gone a bit stale, too. Maybe he can pull it out of the fire. Or maybe this is his limit.

You're right on the squad needing freshening up, but criticise Poch again and I'm going to find out where you live and beat you to within an inch of your life, you little cunt. Shut the fuck up.

Back
Top Bottom