Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No totally wrong. Pochettino can only work with the tools he has been given and this boils down to Daniel Levy and the Spurs hierarchy. You seem to have a very short memory mate because this is certainly not the 1st time where Levy has messed up in the transfer window playing dice with our season, which has inbevitably cost us.

You are defending the under end able. How can you sit there and justify a club going a full season not signing a single reinforcement? A club supposedly with ambition to challenge the league and CL, but refuse to open their Wallet and to improve on a squad that was clearly lacking in real quality. The squad needed freshening up it was clear as day, but the club ( Levy/ Enic) totally failed in that department. If we fail to make top 4, it will be because of the incompetent board and their lack of ambition at this club.

Pochettino has worked bloody wonders and whilst he has his flaws, he takes no blame when you have the powers that be not investing in the squad. Was always going to backfire as some of us predicted and it’s now finally coming to a head. Pochettino is frustrated and his hints in the media just goes to show that the club don’t really operate like a big club. They lack the ambition to drive the club properly forward and it’s been going on for years.

Hahah, you are so pathetically full of shit that it is not even funny anymore. New Your sewer system looks like a fancy restaurant compared to you... It is beyond me how one can be so one dimentional and just repeat his agenda despite what the evidence suggest. I could have written here about space ponies, you don't care, just copy paste of your one dimentional board critique.

Read it once more- I WAS TALKING ABOUT YESTERDAY'S GAME.
And I agreed that generally there have been mistakes (pointed out in the post), I fcking did. It is you who is saying that EVERYTHING IS FULLY ON LEVY, NO SIGNLE PROBLEM WITH POCH. While I agree that generally there were very bad decisions made by the board, and this has cost us a lot. Yet this was not the case yesterday. From what I read from you, we could lose 38 games in a season due to farcial tactical / squad selection decisions and it would still be Levy's fault. While in the end - today we fielded far superior side but lost the game on manager bench.

Once more, look at the game, look at the squads.
And just answer this simple question yes or no - did Southampton win this game because of having superior quality players?

Hahah, you are so pathetically full of shit that it is not even funny anymore. New Your sewer system looks like a fancy restaurant compared to you... It is beyond me how one can be so one dimentional and just repeat his agenda despite what the evidence suggest. I could have written here about space ponies, you don't care, just copy paste of your one dimentional board critique.

Read it once more- I WAS TALKING ABOUT YESTERDAY'S GAME.
And I agreed that generally there have been mistakes (pointed out in the post), I fcking did. It is you who is saying that EVERYTHING IS FULLY ON LEVY, NO SIGNLE PROBLEM WITH POCH. While I agree that generally there were very bad decisions made by the board, and this has cost us a lot. Yet this was not the case yesterday. From what I read from you, we could lose 38 games in a season due to farcial tactical / squad selection decisions and it would still be Levy's fault. While in the end - today we fielded far superior side but lost the game on manager bench.

Once more, look at the game, look at the squads.
And just answer this simple question yes or no - did Southampton win this game because of having superior quality players?
They won the game because:
1) we missed too many chances
2) KWP and Rose fucked up
3) we went in 2nd half like we already won

I don’t actually disagree with a lot of what you are saying. Poch is making some horrendous mistakes in game management and it is a concern that no one, including him, is learning lessons.

Wolves was horrendous, no one learnt fuck all. Burnley horrible. No one learnt fuck all. No reaction. The Chelsea game was abject. Woolwich bossed us. Today ? It’s criminal and no one is listening to him.

So on to the key point highlighted which is digging out my view that it’s Levy “How is that on Levy? I cannot see it. Go position by position. Include bench. And explain to me, how Southampton was superior to us purely on players quality (so that we could blame Levy). Please - do”

It’s not about position for position. It’s about attitude from the top down.

As the company leader (CEO / Chairman whatever he is ) everything is on him. He has an obligation to oversee everything and set the objectives and to ensure that those he employs do the correct things, in the correct ways. Therefore everything is on his head and given he earns more than any other chairman and has become enormously rich from THFC I am not letting the guy off any hook and blaming others as much as I blame him.

He must have seen that his team (( product )) finished 3rd last year. He must have known that there were gaps in the squad and performances in big games was missing. So he has an obligation to insist that his staff address the shortfalls and improve or he says stagnation is progress.

Then he either accepted the utter bullshit that there was no one better on the market whom would have improved the squad, in which case he is a fucking idiot, or he directed that we are not buying anyone to improve the squad. In which case he’s not fit for purpose.

It’s been obvious for at least 18 months that without Dembele we have problems with ball retention and direction from midfield. What did he do to address that ? He failed to sell the problem in the summer and bring in a replacement. Then he scantioned the sale of truely ( flawed ) world class midfielder and brought no one in.

Either he is so dumb that he believed that an Andre Gomes or a James Ward Proswe is not better option than Oliver Skipp or he is so fucking tight that he forced Poch to play a 17 year old. I like Skipp by the way and I am not attacking him. But I am attacking the chronic lack of investment. Where is Dembele’s repalcement ?

Why the fuck was Moutinho not at the club years ago and why the holy fuck did he end up at Wolves and not at Spurs ? It’s pathetic. Oh how about Andersen ?

Pick anyone of the Burnley, Chelsea, Woolwich or today’s games and put Dembele on for 30 minutes you do not lose one of them games. Because he was the one player we had that got tempo, control and link play. Levy sold him for 10 million and that decision could cost the club much much more. I get the argument that he was injury prone, but how much would you rather 30 minutes of him today rather than what we all saw ? If he’s fit he plays. If he is not fit you sign a replacement and then sell. That’s correct squad management. You don’t sell and not replace. And if both Poch and Levy think they can get away with that then they are tweedle dum and tweedle Dee and deserve each other.

The Dembele situation is just one example of mismanagement. I can’t be arsed to point out others. Sleep walking to 5th place is ridiculous. Two weeks ago the club were a win away from the title being in our own hands. Now we look like we have taken a collective shit in our own hands and thrown it at each other. It’s not acceptable. Losing is fine. Losing like you don’t give a toss is wrong.

Yea, see, we are mostly on the same page.
I criticized sellign of Dembele at the moment it was done as well. And did it after Burnley game. All agreed regarding that.

And I am very far from saying that everything that has gone wrong this season has been so due to Poch. Absolutely not. Our transfer strategy was faulty. No question. But yesterdays game was soley lost on the coach chair. And yes I am talking about this one game.

We played against Southampton -
- team that has been SELLING THEIR STAR PLAYERS WITH LITTLE TO NO REPLACEMENT window after window
- team that has their SIXHT MANAGER SINCE POCH

Their situation has been way worse. On grand scheme it ofc comes down to whole club structure vs whole club structure. But on a game-by-game basis, there are still possibilities to get best possible results. And in that Poch failed badly. You cannot expect to need Neymar, Ramos, Messi, Suarez, Godin, Hummels, Busquets, Modridc and all other wordls best players in team to beat damn Southampton. Board have to be held accountable for putting together best possible squad and manager has to take it from there. Yesterday the team was superior but manager did not do his job.

On your analogy of company and CEO - yea, ofc CEO is the one held for most responsibility.
But say that a salesman hired by him goes to key client, and something in his/her head flips and he/she starts to just yelling and insulting the client when the meeting starts (and ofc loses the client) - is that soley on CEO?

They won the game because:
1) we missed too many chances
2) KWP and Rose fucked up
3) we went in 2nd half like we already won

Yea, and we couldn't have done anything differently regarding 2nd point?
Say, change a formation? Make a substitution? Fire the players up in dressing room befroe the 2nd half to avoid it?

I say we could have. And Poch personally could (and should have) - this is literally the job of a manager.

yes I blame Levy for not buying anyone this season, but we also need to look at Poch's record on the money we have spent
Jansen, GKN, Llorente, njie, and even sissoko until this season, Poch must have agreed to these players, I can't see levy buying players if the manager said "NO"
Sometimes you'd rather take something rather nothing.

AVB revealed how he was forced to accept 2nd or even 3rd choice cheaper alternatives.
Redknapp was given the aging Ryan Nelson Loius Saha to bolster an unexpected title challenge.

Levy doesn't back his managers in the transfer market .

Yea, and we couldn't have done anything differently regarding 2nd point?
Say, change a formation? Make a substitution? Fire the players up in dressing room befroe the 2nd half to avoid it?

I say we could have. And Poch personally could (and should have) - this is literally the job of a manager.
As I said, he had Davies prepared to come in before their first goal. I'm sure je said them not to lose focus etc. But it's on players too. Kane missed two great chances in 2nd half too. KWP was solid until they scored. We all wanted to give him chance, now we all are like he's not good enough...

Some very good points in here and refreshing to read. Poch is a god, but he has a few anoying things about him. Lets be honest all managers do, you will never keep all spurs fans happy, and I get that, just wished he used his CL gaming head in the PL sometimes.

Sometimes you'd rather take something rather nothing.

AVB revealed how he was forced to accept 2nd or even 3rd choice cheaper alternatives.
Redknapp was given the aging Ryan Nelson Loius Saha to bolster an unexpected title challenge.

Levy doesn't back his managers in the transfer market .

Good post and I think Poch has got to the point that he doesn't want to accept more average rubbish just for the sake of having more players

Pochettino: Tottenham may have reached their limit

”Tottenham manager admits his team may have reached their limit after 2-1 defeat at Southampton”

Quotes from Poch:

“It’s a difficult thing, we are talking about the last nearly five years to change a mentality.

“That is a clear example that we are still not mature enough.

“When you talk a lot and when you find a lot of solution, it’s only one way, it’s to try to change, making different decisions that’s from the past.

“Of course, maybe that is our limit. It’s a little bit sad, but maybe we need to start to think that we need to operate in a different way from the start of next season.”

”I think we need to find the way to operate that we can provide the club to try to achieve the last step.

I think we are doing a fantastic job in the last four/five years, but I think we need more and still we are not there.

“If we want to put the club in the last step like the people is talking, it’s of course that we need to find a way to try to provide the club the style that is going to make us to be better.”

Sounds to me like Poch wants to rebuild the squad and is telling Levy to give him money if he really wants us to go up a level because he believes we are regressing and have hit our level.

In other words, this is the best Poch can get from this group of players.
Now read those quotes back as if you are a player in the team. He's attacking the players, as a collective.

How would you feel to hear this? To be told that you are at your ceiling, time to change things.........

Good post and I think Poch has got to the point that he doesn't want to accept more average rubbish just for the sake of having more players
Your right.
I think we'd reached the point where Poch realised buying shit or punting on possible future prospects was not going to take us to his next level.

Hence needing to be brave. Realising we can't win trophies spending small money.

What does the board then do. Make Poch one of the best paid managers in Europe to stop their magician from walking then act like a bunch of treacherous cowards by going 2 whole transfer windows spending no money

How do so many of our own fans on here find this acceptable

Now read those quotes back as if you are a player in the team. He's attacking the players, as a collective.

How would you feel to hear this? To be told that you are at your ceiling, time to change things.........

Personally I would want to prove him wrong and work harder but I know that modern players deal with things differently.

That being said, Poch isn't wrong, these players have had plenty of time to show that maturity and Poch has been supportive and nurturing, the players have said so themselves, maybe Poch has just realised that actually, some of them just don't have the mindset of winners and no amount of coaching is going to change that.

That being said however, I think Poch needs to also look in the mirror.

He's completely spot on though...just a shame he's decided to say this now when fuck all can happen as opposed to a couple of transfer windows ago.

Poch has flaws, he's not best in the world. Agree on him speaking too much.
Rose qas great on his prime, after injuries he's not the same player. Davies is solid LB, relieable as sub. We need new LB, Poch made Rose good as he was, but that can't last forever, age and injuries fuxked him up.
Our right backs are average at best. Aurier is just solid, more relieable defensively than Trippier. Poch needs to make decision in the summer. One should be sold and one left here as second option. KWP needs to go on a loan.
We need good CM also. So, if we want be contenders next season, we need new RB, LB and CM. This team isn't good enough for 38 fixtures, although as you said we have couple of WC players.

Depends what Eriksen does. If he leaves getting 2 midfielders would be good. So, 4 new players in the summer, sold some and that's solid rebuild.

Bale swap deal for erikssn? Sessignon since Fulham down?

Back
Top Bottom