Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How is that on Levy? I cannot see it. Go position by position. Include bench. And explain to me, how Southampton was superior to us purely on players quality (so that we could blame Levy). Please - do”

It’s not about position for position. It’s about attitude from the top down.

As the company leader (CEO / Chairman whatever he is ) everything is on him. He has an obligation to oversee everything and set the objectives and to ensure that those he employs do the correct things, in the correct ways. Therefore everything is on his head and given he earns more than any other chairman and has become enormously rich from THFC I am not letting the guy off any hook and blaming others as much as I blame him.

He must have seen that his team (( product )) finished 3rd last year. He must have known that there were gaps in the squad and performances in big games was missing. So he has an obligation to insist that his staff address the shortfalls and improve or he says stagnation is progress.

Then he either accepted the utter bullshit that there was no one better on the market whom would have improved the squad, in which case he is a fucking idiot, or he directed that we are not buying anyone to improve the squad. In which case he’s not fit for purpose.

It’s been obvious for at least 18 months that without Dembele we have problems with ball retention and direction from midfield. What did he do to address that ? He failed to sell the problem in the summer and bring in a replacement. Then he scantioned the sale of truely ( flawed ) world class midfielder and brought no one in.

Either he is so dumb that he believed that an Andre Gomes or a James Ward Proswe is not better option than Oliver Skipp or he is so fucking tight that he forced Poch to play a 17 year old. I like Skipp by the way and I am not attacking him. But I am attacking the chronic lack of investment. Where is Dembele’s repalcement ?

Why the fuck was Moutinho not at the club years ago and why the holy fuck did he end up at Wolves and not at Spurs ? It’s pathetic. Oh how about Andersen ?

Pick anyone of the Burnley, Chelsea, Woolwich or today’s games and put Dembele on for 30 minutes you do not lose one of them games. Because he was the one player we had that got tempo, control and link play. Levy sold him for 10 million and that decision could cost the club much much more. I get the argument that he was injury prone, but how much would you rather 30 minutes of him today rather than what we all saw ? If he’s fit he plays. If he is not fit you sign a replacement and then sell. That’s correct squad management. You don’t sell and not replace. And if both Poch and Levy think they can get away with that then they are tweedle dum and tweedle Dee and deserve each other.

The Dembele situation is just one example of mismanagement. I can’t be arsed to point out others. Sleep walking to 5th place is ridiculous. Two weeks ago the club were a win away from the title being in our own hands. Now we look like we have taken a collective shit in our own hands and thrown it at each other. It’s not acceptable. Losing is fine. Losing like you don’t give a toss is wrong.

tenor.gif

Oh my fooking god. How can bunch of fans be SO SICKLY ATTACHED to their single agenda - that everything is always and only Levy's fault.

Please, carve that into your skulls - MAURICIO ROBERTO POCHETTINO IS 100% RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSING THE GAME TODAY. This is as clear as anything gets in football. We all love the fella, and he has done so much for this club, but we cannot just keep finding him excuses because of that. It would be absolutely deluded.

We were absolutely dominant in first 45 minutes. Opposition team had absolutely no sniff of the goal. Everything was going just smoothly. Then Soton manager made 2 changes, changed personell, changed a game plan and motivated his players. He reacted to what was happening in the game, and in 2nd half Southampton was in control of the game.

And what did Poch do? Absolutely nothing.
Everyone could see we were on the backfoot there. Before the goal was scored there was even graph on the screen that showed "Last 5 min posession 73% Southampton 23% Spurs" (might be few percent wrong one or other way). When did something change? At 72nd minute. So 60% of 2nd half we VOLUNTARILY let them dominate the game. And then it was just like for like substitution. Only positional one was on 82nd (Alli->Llorente). It was when we were already behind. If Southampton would have used this approach, we would have cruised on comfortably in 2nd half. But no, their manager made a change, that made a difference that won them game. Just drop your agenda driven bollocs - on the bench today we had Davies, Foyth, Wanyama, Son, Lamela, Llorente. There were many options to change. For example to bring in Wanyama (okay, he has not been superb this season, but at least he could help to solidify CM for like 35 mins, I am sure) - either as staright swap for Sissoko who went bit missing on 2nd half. Or for some of the more attacking players, switch Vic to CM and Dier to 3rd defender. Or bring in Son for Moura (whose touch was awful today, unfortunately) earlier. Or number of other options. But he just sat there and let us being overplayed. BY INFERIOR PLAYERS.

Well, of course - some of our defending players could have done better in number of situations. But guess what - they were on more pressure due to the fact that Southampton controlled the game so strongly. Without that they would have never been so exposed. Sure, I am extremely unhappy about performance of Sanchez (again) and KWP. But that is not the point. Tactical changes were key that gave Soton the upper hand and ability to put pressure on us. While they never should have had this opportunity for such a long spell.

How is that on Levy? I cannot see it.
Go position by position. Include bench. And explain to me, how Southampton was superior to us purely on players quality (so that we could blame Levy). Please - do.

Also, I would like to add, that I just recently (I think it was Burnley game) pointed out in matchday thread, that we really suffered due to lack of options in midfield (I never supported selling Dembele, and said that his presence could win us just maybe few games but this margin could count) and it was down to the lack of options. Today it was not. Sure, we dont have the best midfield roaster in EPL but Dier, Sissoko, Wanyama, Alli/Eriksen should be enough to beat average side like Soton.

Poch has to really look into mirror over that loss.
There is literally no one else to blame.

No totally wrong. Pochettino can only work with the tools he has been given and this boils down to Daniel Levy and the Spurs hierarchy. You seem to have a very short memory mate because this is certainly not the 1st time where Levy has messed up in the transfer window playing dice with our season, which has inbevitably cost us.

You are defending the under end able. How can you sit there and justify a club going a full season not signing a single reinforcement? A club supposedly with ambition to challenge the league and CL, but refuse to open their Wallet and to improve on a squad that was clearly lacking in real quality. The squad needed freshening up it was clear as day, but the club ( Levy/ Enic) totally failed in that department. If we fail to make top 4, it will be because of the incompetent board and their lack of ambition at this club.

Pochettino has worked bloody wonders and whilst he has his flaws, he takes no blame when you have the powers that be not investing in the squad. Was always going to backfire as some of us predicted and it’s now finally coming to a head. Pochettino is frustrated and his hints in the media just goes to show that the club don’t really operate like a big club. They lack the ambition to drive the club properly forward and it’s been going on for years.

Yeah, keeping Dembele would have been vital...that handful of minutes he might have played could have made all the difference...fucking behave...

Yeah, keeping Dembele would have been vital...that handful of minutes he might have played could have made all the difference...fucking behave...
Oh yeah, it could easily make the difference between finishing fifth and third, for example a loss today would be way less likely if you can bring him on after 70 mins for Dier or a gassed Sissoko when we were still 1-0 up.

Last edited:
No totally wrong. Pochettino can only work with the tools he has been given and this boils down to Daniel Levy and the Spurs hierarchy. You seem to have a very short memory mate because this is certainly not the 1st time where Levy has messed up in the transfer window playing dice with our season, which has inbevitably cost us.

You are defending the under end able. How can you sit there and justify a club going a full season not signing a single reinforcement? A club supposedly with ambition to challenge the league and CL, but refuse to open their Wallet and to improve on a squad that was clearly lacking in real quality. The squad needed freshening up it was clear as day, but the club ( Levy/ Enic) totally failed in that department. If we fail to make top 4, it will be because of the incompetent board and their lack of ambition at this club.

Pochettino has worked bloody wonders and whilst he has his flaws, he takes no blame when you have the powers that be not investing in the squad. Was always going to backfire as some of us predicted and it’s now finally coming to a head. Pochettino is frustrated and his hints in the media just goes to show that the club don’t really operate like a big club. They lack the ambition to drive the club properly forward and it’s been going on for years.

Yeah 100% agree with this.

We have turned into a Property investment / development company before football club.

That’s a stone cold fact.

I think Poch enjoys the challenge of the project, but he can’t be blamed for us failing to invest in the squad.

yes I blame Levy for not buying anyone this season, but we also need to look at Poch's record on the money we have spent
Jansen, GKN, Llorente, njie, and even sissoko until this season, Poch must have agreed to these players, I can't see levy buying players if the manager said "NO"

ItsI not Poch fault we missed so many chances. It's not Poch fault that Rose let the ball pass zim. Remember, Davies was ready to get i to the game before we conceded first goal.

Of course Poch take some blame too, but not yesterday.

People are calling for the head of Poch? Who should we bring in? Pulis? Big Sam?

Fucking hell, three more weeks of this!!

giphy.gif

Why is the answer always Pullis or Fat Sam though. Isn’t Poch the highest paid manager in the world?
So why don’t people talk about Simeone or Bielsa or Tuchel?

IF he left, and again I don’t want him to, I would be thinking ok the new manager has an unbelievable base to start with here, maybe he’ll turn that corner we never did under Poch.

Why is everyone always thinking we will get relegated if Eriksen or Poch leaves?

This summer lots needs addressing and I’ll say it til I’m blue in the face, sign who the fuck you want, but if Poch keeps making the same mistakes, nothing changes

I think our predicament in having lost 3 games in 4 matches at such a crucial period is threefold and obviously Pochettino must take his share of the blame.

2. Poor team selection for the Burnley game and then poor team and individual performances. That was the key match for momentum.

A distinct lack of challenge to players, of which I mean no new faces equals a sense that who is pushing for my spot, full backs aside who inexplicably get rotated far too fcuking often. A real nonsense.

Thirdly, an over reliance on Kane. Pochettino needs to say publicly that other players must step up more often. It is amazing and probably just coincidence that Son is now 5 games without a goal. Prior to the Burnley match that was unthinkable.

But it's us. Just as you dare to call us or any of our players world class something happens. Nearly nearly always.

I think on a personal level Pochettino has a big 2 months ahead. This season he has been very strange.

The shame for me is that Rodgers would have been my choice as replacement, ahead of someone like Howe if it did come to a change. Hopefully all irrelevant but I think there are problems and changes ahead should we miss out on a top 4 slot.

Last edited:
ItsI not Poch fault we missed so many chances. It's not Poch fault that Rose let the ball pass zim. Remember, Davies was ready to get i to the game before we conceded first goal.

Of course Poch take some blame too, but not yesterday.

But he says it’s a mystery why we went to shit.....he talks the talk, but too many times isn’t conveying this perfect mantra to his team.

Seems like a great coach, but falls short as a manager. He’ll get there, but he’s not there yet, and we shouldn’t pretend he is.

I’m sick to death of this notion that he has the fucking Kidderminster squad, and has us battling it out with the top 4.

We are top 3. By quality and results, not because Poch is Paul fucking Daniels.

Kane, Toby, Jan, Eriksen, Dele, Lloris, Son
This is not West Brom....that’s arguably SEVEN world class players in a staring 11 FFS

If Poch has taken these players as far as he can, well sorry a new RB won’t help, because that’s a spine that should ripping the shit out of everything below us, and not letting in soft goals.
Blame Dier, blame Trippier, but you’re all onto a loser, and in for a nasty surprise.

Because it’s EXACTLY the same shit when those two aren’t even involved.
You’ve all convinced yourselves Rose is better than Trippier....no different.
No different whatsoever. Great in form, utter shit off form....people barking up the wrong tree if they think no other manager could have this squad playing better football, or winning domestic cups.

Or that new full backs will stop out forwards wasting 50 chances a game.

I said it two years ago, and I said it after Wolves at Christmas you all wanted to babble on about fatigue, and how Trippier and Sissoko have destroyed Eriksen.

He needs Kane and Dele!!
Well it worked for 45 minutes....then what? A bit of pressure and the world class spine turns to fucking mush, again.

But it’s not Poch, the manager.....it’s the chairman. This would never happen if we signed Batshuyai eh

Last edited:
Why is the answer always Pullis or Fat Sam though. Isn’t Poch the highest paid manager in the world?
So why don’t people talk about Simeone or Bielsa or Tuchel?

IF he left, and again I don’t want him to, I would be thinking ok the new manager has an unbelievable base to start with here, maybe he’ll turn that corner we never did under Poch.

Why is everyone always thinking we will get relegated if Eriksen or Poch leaves?

This summer lots needs addressing and I’ll say it til I’m blue in the face, sign who the fuck you want, but if Poch keeps making the same mistakes, nothing changes

Poch is not the highest paid manager in the world. He is on 8 mill a year. Guardiola is on 15 mill, Mourinho earned 15 mill at Utd and will get the same at Real when he goes there in the next few weeks. Simeone just signed a 20 mill a year contract at A Madrid. Alegri earns 15 mill a year

Poch is not the highest paid manager in the world. He is on 8 mill a year. Guardiola is on 15 mill, Mourinho earned 15 mill at Utd and will get the same at Real when he goes there in the next few weeks. Simeone just signed a 20 mill a year contract at A Madrid. Alegri earns 15 mill a year
Meant to say one of the...
4th highest paid in the world isn’t too shabby though is it for someone who’s never won a trophy

So what do you want? Sack him?

Since yesterday I’ve said 4 times I want Poch to stay.
One of the times I even said I want him to stay for 20 years.

So clearly, no I don’t want him sacked.

I want him to get out of the newspapers, and instead of telling the world his perfect formula, start drilling it privately into our players thick skulls.

I want him to value the trophies we can win instead of constantly falling short of the ones we can’t. If he’s talking about ten years to change a mentality, then a few FA Cups along the way would be quite nice wouldn’t it.

I’m so fucking done with people blaming individual players, even when they aren’t playing.

In the summer of 2017 people said we needed ONE marquee signing to turn the corner. Last summer it was new full backs and a CM.

Now it’s 3 new RBs, two CMs, a new AM, a new CB a LB.
But no one wants to ask why these players have regressed so quickly under the same manager that took them so high.

The manager is getting things wrong with THIS team, that he will still get wrong with a whole new team.
Unless he stops making the same mistakes.

So while a new full back, and a Dembele replacement would be fucking lovely, it won’t mean shit if the manager doesn’t develope.

It’s as simple as that

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it could easily make the difference between finishing fifth and third, for example a loss today would be way less likely if you can bring him on after 70 mins for Dier or a gassed Sissoko when we were still 1-0 up.
Maybe it was shipping out GKN...just think of the last minute crosses he could have supplied....

Since yesterday I’ve said 4 times I want Poch to stay.
One of the times I even said I want him to stay for 20 years.

So clearly, no I don’t want him sacked.

I want him to get out of the newspapers, and instead of telling the world his perfect formula, start drilling it privately into our players thick skulls.

I want him to value the trophies we can win instead of constantly falling short of the ones we can’t. If he’s talking about ten years to change a mentality, the a few FA Cups along the way would be quite nice wouldn’t it.

I’m so fucking done with people blaming individual players, even when they aren’t playing.

In the summer of 2017 people said we needed ONE marquee signing to turn the corner. Last summer it was new full backs and a CM.

Now it’s 3 new RBs, two CMs, a new AM, a new CB a LB.
But no one wants to ask why these players have regressed so quickly under the same manager that took them so high.

The manager is getting things wrong with THIS team, that he will still get wrong with a whole new team.
Unless he stops making the same mistakes.

So while a new full back, and a Dembele replacement would be fucking lovely, it won’t mean shit of the manager doesn’t develope.

It’s as simple as that
Poch has flaws, he's not best in the world. Agree on him speaking too much.
Rose qas great on his prime, after injuries he's not the same player. Davies is solid LB, relieable as sub. We need new LB, Poch made Rose good as he was, but that can't last forever, age and injuries fuxked him up.
Our right backs are average at best. Aurier is just solid, more relieable defensively than Trippier. Poch needs to make decision in the summer. One should be sold and one left here as second option. KWP needs to go on a loan.
We need good CM also. So, if we want be contenders next season, we need new RB, LB and CM. This team isn't good enough for 38 fixtures, although as you said we have couple of WC players.

Depends what Eriksen does. If he leaves getting 2 midfielders would be good. So, 4 new players in the summer, sold some and that's solid rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom