Chelsea v Tottenham. 2nd leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really unfortunate, had hope that this might be the trophy the team could get.
Besides the Premier and the Champions League are there any other trophies tottenham could possibly go for this season?

Really unfortunate, had hope that this might be the trophy the team could get.
Besides the Premier and the Champions League are there any other trophies tottenham could possibly go for this season?
giphy.gif

At the end of the day, football, just like any other competitive sport, success is only judged by the amount of silverware won.

Its not just judged by trophies won, success can mean different things.

Look at our past 10 years, surely we've been more successful than the previous 10. The clubs satus, size, income, league position, quality of players, manager, stadium etc are all signs of a successful club.

Its not just judged by trophies won, success can mean different things.

Look at our past 10 years, surely we've been more successful than the previous 10. The clubs satus, size, income, league position, quality of players, manager, stadium etc are all signs of a successful club.

Again, who has been successful last 10 years us or Wigan?

If winning trophies the be all and end all how come people don’t look at George Graham and Ramos with anything else than distain?

Again this is boring now, Poch getting tapped up by Madrid and United for consistent good management, not a day at Wembley

Enough now, the domestic cup is a much loved bit of icing on cake we would all love to see but not the be all and end all. I am not saying I agree or prefer it this way but this is the way it is now

Simply not true.

Our points total increases almost every season despite everyone around us spending more money.

We win more big games each season, that spurs team chasing Leicester wouldn’t have got through in the nou camp.

Easy to forget poch is still relatively young, he has holes for sure, who doesn’t? But he has made improvements.

A few more minor improvements may see us finally win something
And yet our points total HAS to keep improving, cos teams are winning the leaghype with a record number of points!

Didn't I read recently hat 3 or 4 of our mmost recent points totals would have seen us win the league several times in the previous 10-15 years... or did I imagine it?

Again, who has been successful last 10 years us or Wigan?

If winning trophies the be all and end all how come people don’t look at George Graham and Ramos with anything else than distain?

Again this is boring now, Poch getting tapped up by Madrid and United for consistent good management, not a day at Wembley

Enough now, the domestic cup is a much loved bit of icing on cake we would all love to see but not the be all and end all. I am not saying I agree or prefer it this way but this is the way it is now

I feel like we do need to win a trophy though, even a pretty meaningless cup, it would just help to keep the team together.

Obviously not at the expense of CL qualification though.

I feel like we do need to win a trophy though, even a pretty meaningless cup, it would just help to keep the team together.

Yes for a trophy at the expense of anything. The club is desperate to win a trophy, can we buy one! ch*lsi did and so did mancity.
There is no harm spending one season outside the top 4 for the cost of a trophy. Trophies brings experience and confidence and puts a "winning" team together. While top 4 every season is a vicious circle unless you are financial beneficiary or PL chairman.

Absolutely mental that if we were to win it we'd have to have got past Watford, West Ham, Woolwich, Chelsea and City.

That's tougher than Liverpool's fucking route to the CL final.

Watford, West Ham, Woolwich, Chelsea & Man City. Not bad for a supposed Mickey Mouse cup.

When Woolwich won it vs Aston Villa they played Reading in the semi finals & when they beat Hull they played Wigan in the semi finals. Fucking unreal when you look at the shit luck we've had along the way time and time again

Watford, West Ham, Woolwich, Chelsea & Man City. Not bad for a supposed Mickey Mouse cup.

When Woolwich won it vs Aston Villa they played Reading in the semi finals & when they beat Hull they played Wigan in the semi finals. Fucking unreal when you look at the shit luck we've had along the way time and time again
True - but at some point we also need to beat the big clubs if we're to be considered a big club ourselves

Yeah I don’t even know if that’s the case these days, a Caribou cup won’t keep Eriksen at the club but Champions league football, working with Poch and a boat load of money might help

It’s all changed mate, Ronaldo walked away from Man U And Fergie, everyone has a price and ambitions in the end, may be nothing we can do

I am only telling you what Poch has told us.
I haven't seen it, show me the quote.
And if it is the case I don't believe it and only a naive would do. I tell why, for a big institution like THFC can go to the bank now and show them future plans which is been referred to and the bank will lend them easily. It is not that simple but it is on these lines.
We are in crises when comes to spending. Net spending since Poch took power = £30m, nearly 5 years, says it all. Liverpool finished behind us last season and see where they are now, they spent £70m on goalie alone plus other signings.
I just paid 90 pence for snickers, that is 90p more than the club spent in 2018/19 transfer window.

True - but at some point we also need to beat the big clubs if we're to be considered a big club ourselves

True but when people say we still haven't won anything they need to look at how much more difficulty our moments have been than some other teams.

Since we won the League Cup in 2008 we've had the following defeats on the cusp of getting there:

2009 League Cup Final - Manchester United - lost

2010 FA Cup Semi Final - Portsmouth - lost

2012 FA Cup Semi Final - Chelsea - lost

2015 League Cup Final - Chelsea - lost

2017 FA Cup Semi Final - Chelsea - lost

2018 FA Cup Semi Final - Manchester United - lost

2019 League Cup Semi Final - Chelsea - lost

2 finals lost against better quality teams at the time, starting XI for starting XI and 5 semi final losses, 4 against teams with better starting XIs at the time based on form, standinings in the league, injuries etc.

A semi or a final & Champions League qualification pretty much every season Pochettino has been in charge in what is arguably the most competitive League we have seen on these shores as it stands or globally for that matter. The only one we weren't favourites to lose in was the Portsmouth game it really isn't as doom and gloom as some people think.

Should we have gained one or two better results? Probably yeah but we have for the large majority of the time been outside favourites so we are far from underachieving as it stands. A Cup would be nice but becoming a more consistent team is far more important for the trajectory of the club

Back
Top Bottom