Chelsea v Tottenham. 2nd leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've stood still for three years. When Leicester won the league, we were hands down the best team in the league but lacked a bit of 'savvy'. We scored more than anyone else, and conceded fewer. Every season since then we have watched others catch us up, and now overtake us. Liverpool are now playing the way we did back then. It feels like we reached a high water mark, and since then we have watched our hopes ebb slowly away as others have simply outspent us. I agree with Incomplete_usernam Incomplete_usernam - I am now at the stage where I endure, rather than enjoy matchdays.

Airfixx Airfixx this is the comment, it got 6 agrees as well :avbfacepalm:

2 things

Firstly Willian rejected us so there's not much else we can do if a player isn't up for it and secondly Willian a squad player of theirs is rumoured to be on wages higher than all of our squad bar Dele & Kane, possibly Son.

Simply put, they have far more money than us and shouldn't be compared to us as a realistic comparison to squad ability and strength. Not fair on the players, manager and board when we as a club are making big steps, even if choosw tonot acknowledge it at present

No argument from me. Chelsea £ >>> Spurs £. We have a very solid 12-13, as good as anyone in the league. However, when things get tight due to injury, etc, it feels like we’re going to a gun fight with a knife.

No argument from me. Chelsea £ >>> Spurs £. We have a very solid 12-13, as good as anyone in the league. However, when things get tight due to injury, etc, it feels like we’re going to a gun fight with a knife.
I suppose the answer should be who do we compare ourselves too Everton, west ham or Leicester in terms of spending power nothing else springs to mind.

I'm not being salty... but seriously, why DID they do away with the Away goals rule... was it SOLEY dependant on the scrapping of extra time??

I'm not being salty... but seriously, why DID they do away with the Away goals rule... was it SOLEY dependant on the scrapping of extra time??
Drop that one, they changed the rule for everyone. ch*lsi's approach would have been totally different if the away goal rule was still there and we will never know the outcome but it is not relevant. We didn't lose SF because of that, it is an excuse. End of.

Consistent team in not winning a trophy?! Or
Do you mean consistent team in top 4 CL place is more important than a trophy?!

I would prefer trophy, I want a trophy.

IqcEfZ4.0.jpg

Our bread and butter whilst trying to stay within touching distance has to be Champions League qualification. UEFA Revenue compared to domestic Cup runs totally eclipses is which, in the harsh reality of modern day football is more important than a piece of silverware.

If you offered me Top 4 at the start of the season and no Cup, I'd take it. I'd love a cup but with the delicate situation we are in with the new build financial clout, global exposure and the extra revenue we are able to obtain through our commercial dealings and enhanced profile make it the lifeblood of keeping with the pack until everything settles down. 1/8th of our revenue for top 4, roughly 0.5%-1% of our revenue for a domestic spell

One could easily argue that over two legs home/away advantage is negated on the straight forwards basis of 180mins anyway. No 'away goal rule' for goals scored DURING extra time would be logically sound in sense of increasing a balance of fairness. Penalty shoot out at an away ground is draw derived. C'est la vie on that front.

Rather than last night's circumstances being 'unfair', I think what stings most is it being another case of us suffering "first time syndrome" see CL'12 etc.

Last edited:
Drop that one, they changed the rule for everyone. ch*lsi's approach would have been totally different if the away goal rule was still there and we will never know the outcome but it is not relevant. We didn't lose SF because of that, it is an excuse. End of.

I think 1882 1882 would just like to know the reasoning behind it.

I didn't see any official reasoning at the time, didn't really interest me either, but I think it's mainly to provide more interesting games for the neutral. Must say, if it hadn't been Spurs and therefore doing my ticker in, I could potentially have enjoyed a game like that from the outside. All that was needed was one goal for either side. I think the away goals rule leads to more defensive/ low risk set-ups in the 2nd leg.

IqcEfZ4.0.jpg

Our bread and butter whilst trying to stay within touching distance has to be Champions League qualification. UEFA Revenue compared to domestic Cup runs totally eclipses is which, in the harsh reality of modern day football is more important than a piece of silverware.

If you offered me Top 4 at the start of the season and no Cup, I'd take it. I'd love a cup but with the delicate situation we are in with the new build financial clout, global exposure and the extra revenue we are able to obtain through our commercial dealings and enhanced profile make it the lifeblood of keeping with the pack until everything settles down. 1/8th of our revenue for top 4, roughly 0.5%-1% of our revenue for a domestic spell
OK for you it is money, revenue, financials, graphs, percentages but no mention of spending on new players ...... for me it is trophies and signings.

OK for you it is money, revenue, financials, graphs, percentages but no mention of spending on new players ...... for me it is trophies and signings.

Very difficult to win the trophies and make the signings without revenue streams.

For me it's all about the glory and onfield success but I value how important the global brand and stature of the club is in order to get there and compete consistently, continually.

It's a growth phase at the moment and it's nearing the end of that cycle. We just have to hold strong, ensure the business side is run with shrewd diligence and to allow the club to organically grow. The trophies and success will come, we'll soon become a very attractive pull for many involved in football

But that defines it perfectly, you can't have one without the other.

You can't buy players or sustain wages without the money you don't have, no one wants us to be the 'nearly' side, it is just a much longer term project for Spurs because it's being ran like a sane business and not like other football clubs.

Of course it's frustrating, but that's Tottenham.

Watford, West Ham, Woolwich, Chelsea & Man City. Not bad for a supposed Mickey Mouse cup.

When Woolwich won it vs Aston Villa they played Reading in the semi finals & when they beat Hull they played Wigan in the semi finals. Fucking unreal when you look at the shit luck we've had along the way time and time again

Yeah but a couple of years ago Arse had to beat Man City in the semi and Chelsea in the final to win the Fa Cup both teams far superior to Arse. But they did it

Before we became a top 4 regular the excuse was that only top 4 teams won the cups. Now we are a top 4 regular it's only the teams with more money that win the cups. No matter that we have players that on their day can compete with all our rivals. We are above Chelsea in the league, above Man Utd, above Woolwich, we have outperformed them and Liverpool over the last few years. We are a top side that should have at least a cup of two to show for all the hard work put in by everyone.

On a sidenote playing over 2 legs is pointless if away goals don't count anymore.
Just play it over 1 at a neutral ground.

:sonhmm:

Just as the rule when a team outside 4th place winning the CL takes the place of the team finishing 4th was abolished the following season after it affected us. Now a rule change affects us again. Next year we'll win the title on goal difference but they'll announce in the summer that goals scored counts in the event of two teams having the same points!!!

Back
Top Bottom