January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How is this clueless, out of the 8 players I've mentioned who would you keep and why then? Want to give more than just a one word answer as I'm really keen to find out what you've seen in these players to suggest they are players we should bend over backwards to keep
How would you feel if in the space of a month a quarter of your team were sold.

Sure they weren't all the best performers but one may have drove in with you each day, anothers wife was best mates with yours , one would always stay on to help you with skmething and you went on holiday in the summer with a few of them.

Now your team manager who has always demanded you out the team before yourself and swore he would look after you has ruthlessly got rid of loads of them.

The office isn't the same anymore as the couple of replacements he has brought in are too young to join in with the office banter and everyone feels a bit down and like it isn't the same.

Getting rid of eight players you deem not good enough might seem smart on paper but it ignores the human element of team building.

Callum Wilson would be perfect, surely.
If he moves to us just as he has broken into the national team he is quite frankly dumb.

He won't get many minutes with Kane ahead of him. And Wilson is a pure center forward so we cannot Son him and play him on the wing to give him minutes.

I like the guy but for his career's sake he needs to be at a club where he starts week in and week out.

How is this clueless, out of the 8 players I've mentioned who would you keep and why then? Want to give more than just a one word answer as I'm really keen to find out what you've seen in these players to suggest they are players we should bend over backwards to keep

A squad that is currently 3rd in the table and you want to get rid of 8 players. Sure some of them will leave, possibly in Jan, more in the summer but there's no way 8 players are going this window, nor would Poch want them all to leave, to then have to try and bring in replacements would be impossible. If there's something we've learnt over the past 4 or 5 years under Poch is that a settled squad without major overhaul gives a club more stability and more chance of success.

Tripier and Aurier both have a part to play over the next few seasons and will be some of Pochs least concerns of replacements. Signing up Eriksen will be a priority, not sure the club will chase Toby to sign, i wouldn't be surprised if the offer that was made a couple of years ago is still on the table.

3 or 4 out if we're lucky and maybe we might get 1 midfield and possibly 1 younger up coming in will be a great window.

This of course is my opinion and i have about as much clue as anyone else thinks they do.

One thing i do think though is that there is always the funding there for the right player, clearing space though was the issue in summer and once again will be this window.

nonsense. I don't care what Pochettino says, its clear he never joined us because levy doesnt back him

giphy.gif

If he moves to us just as he has broken into the national team he is quite frankly dumb.

He won't get many minutes with Kane ahead of him. And Wilson is a pure center forward so we cannot Son him and play him on the wing to give him minutes.

I like the guy but for his career's sake he needs to be at a club where he starts week in and week out.

This is why I actually think King would be a much better fit. Plays off the wing a lot too but still stong, quick and a can score. Also believe he counts as homegrown.

Plus someone to converse in Norwegian with Berge :freund:

The club is weird. Not sure if it's just about backing a manager as opposed to always seeking to get the supposed best deal or reasoned market price. I do get that to a large extent.

I just think that as responsible as the club is that our model seems to be one which is moving inexorably to player development and extending contracts (where possible)

How sustainable that is and how mucg success it can bring will come to a head in the next few weeks.

But we pay decent money now, are in London, are competitive and have a strong foundation with a new stadium soon to move into. Surely not every player we are after costs 50 million or is worse than what we have?

Last edited:

So back to the mantra:
Poch says something you like = PROOF

Poch says something you don’t like =
Just saying it because he had to

I keep bringing it up and I find it a little bit creepy, honestly. You are allowed to disagree with something Mauricio Pochettino says.

This is not a sect. This is not David Koresh, nor Jim Jones.
You don’t have to drink cyanide laced 7 UP if you feel Poch is being a bit of a tit.

John, you’re a grown man, and Poch is nothing more to you than he is to any other Spurs fan. A football manager.

He will not come over for snuggles and cuddles because you pretend to agree with every single word he says. And the words he doesn’t say you just give a “knowing” wink, tap your nose, and give him an imaginary playful elbow to the ribs and say “Pochy you old dog!”

Before you both run off into the sunset, hand in hand.

With Scott clumsily tripping over behind, trying desperately to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom