January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ndombele is not a defensive midfielder either. More in the same role as Winks in that he drives the ball up field

I think he could play in a midfield 2 in a 4-2-3-1 and be extremely effective as a pseudo-destroyer/playmaker alongside a true destroyer (like Dier). He's strong enough to be physically dominant here in the prem and young enough to be molded even stronger. Maybe he's beyond us, but I still have some hope that Levy and Poch would be willing to splash on him. I mean, we did apparently bid 40m for him late on this summer, right?

I think he could play in a midfield 2 in a 4-2-3-1 and be extremely effective as a pseudo-destroyer/playmaker alongside a true destroyer (like Dier). He's strong enough to be physically dominant here in the prem and young enough to be molded even stronger. Maybe he's beyond us, but I still have some hope that Levy and Poch would be willing to splash on him. I mean, we did apparently bid 40m for him late on this summer, right?
But doing that takes away his prime assets. Ndombele's best feature is that he is good at moving the ball. He's a transition player and having him play mainly as a destroyer or as a playmaker takes away the main thing that has made people take notice of him to begin with.

It could work. But it would be a bit like what Sarri is doing now with Kante which is quite frankly doing him a disservice.

Really cannot see any business getting done by the club regarding incomings maybe a few might leave as levy will want a lighter payroll, other than that summer will be when or if the club makes any purchases.

Currently we have 3 players who, as we have too many overseas trained players already, cannot be registered and play in CL (or EL) - the 3 are Janssen, N'Koudou and Foyth.

So that means we need to get rid of 4 overseas players just to sign one new overseas trained player.

Easy to identify the 4 who Spurs might want to go - Janssen, N'Koudou and certainly in the summer if not January, Dembele, Wanyama (both based on injury record) and Alderweireld.

But there's a reason why Janssen and N'Koudou were not shifted or loaned out last summer - and its almost certainly that they are not the most attractive for other clubs for the wages they are on.

There may be arguments both ways as to whether to shift Dembele and Wanyama in January or the summer. And Alderweireld not signing a new contract suggests he aims to be off in the summer rather than January (unless someone offers a big wedge more than the £25m release clause to Spurs in January)

So I'd be delighted if we do shift some overseas trained players in January - but I'm not holding out much hope we shift the 4 out we need to allow us to bring in another overseas trained player
Which brings us back to home grown players and those from our youth system....

Nobody is going to pay money for Dembele when he is just back from another injury and is on a free in 6 months, same with Toby and his clause. Nobody will pay what we want in January when these guys are soon to be available on the cheap. They are also both still first choice players, despite their situation.

Nkoudou and Janssen are already out of the first team and I expect Vorm and Llorente will join them on the outgoing list in January. We simply don’t need them and they are taking spots that we need for fresh signings. With those 4 gone we can bring Grealish, register Foyth and still have room for one new foreign signing.

Nobody is going to pay money for Dembele when he is just back from another injury and is on a free in 6 months, same with Toby and his clause. Nobody will pay what we want in January when these guys are soon to be available on the cheap. They are also both still first choice players, despite their situation.

Nkoudou and Janssen are already out of the first team and I expect Vorm and Llorente will join them on the outgoing list in January. We simply don’t need them and they are taking spots that we need for fresh signings. With those 4 gone we can bring Grealish, register Foyth and still have room for one new foreign signing.

Toby is a different scenario to Dembele in that a team may pay extra for him in January to get a step ahead of the competition. If he stays with us to the summer, everyone can dive in with a £25million bid and then certain teams could gain the advantage with their wage structure over others. If a team is desperate for a defender and doesn't want to wait or get involved in a dick swinging contest, there is a chance we could get more than £25m for toby.

Yeah - a 'lesser' team may want to get ahead of the comp and put a £30,000,000 bid in for Toby for example knowing they have no chance in the summer when bigger clubs who can offer bigger wages are likely to be interested.

Still highly unlikely that we would sell in January but it's definitely not impossible to think so.

Homegrown should be our focus. Of course I would like NDombele, Rabiot and Isco, but we can't. I'd be happy with Grealish, Wilson and Cook.

Yeah - a 'lesser' team may want to get ahead of the comp and put a £30,000,000 bid in for Toby for example knowing they have no chance in the summer when bigger clubs who can offer bigger wages are likely to be interested.

Still highly unlikely that we would sell in January but it's definitely not impossible to think so.
But would Toby be interested in joining such a team in January anyway? I think he will wait until the summer and take his time to compare multiple options.

Back
Top Bottom