January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really cannot see any business getting done by the club regarding incomings maybe a few might leave as levy will want a lighter payroll, other than that summer will be when or if the club makes any purchases.
Payroll has gone up mate, probably around 40% increase over the last 2yrs alone. It will almost certainly continue to go up as the players we are looking to offload are on relatively low wages, to replace them will only see them replaced with players on higher wages unless they are replaced by academy players GKN is on about £20k pw, as too is Jansen, Onomah, Vorm. Even if it still turns out to be Rose or Toby leaving they are on £60k and £75k respectfully, Dembele, Llorente & Wanyama all on £70-£80k pw.

Have they?

Overseas players mentioned on the last 4 pages.

Rabiot
This would end up being in the summer anyway. If we make any sort of contact in January, it'd be on a pre-contract basis meaning he joins us in the summer.

Haidara
I mentioned this one and said if we do sign him in January, it'd make sense to loan him back until the summer due to his age and experience, allow him to then get a full pre-season under us after winning honours with Salzburg and like you say, the registration process in January.

Wolf
This guy is about 19 years old. Even if we DID sign him in January, I am sure he'd understand if he didn't get any game time or registered. Though I imagine if we did make such a signing, he'd be loaned back to his club (Also Salzburg) until the summer after they've won honours.

Gomes
This was probably mentioned with next summer in mind anyway as he is on a season long loan to Everton.

That's about it - I did mention Diawara as an alternative signing to NDombele next summer. All the other players mentioned were English (Grealish, Chalobah, Cook and Lookman)

We aren't going to sign any overseas players. We are all aware of this and if we do, it's likely they'll be signed with summer in mind anyway so a loan back would make logical sense. If not, hopefully some kind of agreement to allow the official signing to happen in the summer (Keita to Liverpool for example)

This transfer thread is headed as the January transfer thread.

So I guess its going to be for where we need to strengthen the team for the 2nd half of the season (short term needs) plus anyone brought in with a view to the future who might only join Spurs in the summer, even if signed in January (which your list is mainly about, and in the summer there will be a lot more time and a larger 'market' of buyers so better chance of dealing with our excess overseas players - plus of course Vorm, Dembele and Llorente's contracts are up and Alderweireld's contract situation means its likely he will be sold, all of which frees up a lot of 'overseas trained' squad places fairly easily).

So the problem I'm highlighting is one affecting the January 'incoming players' - assuming we agree we need extra bodies for the 2nd half of the season. And I guess most punters will focus on the CM (or lack thereof) position at Spurs, before maybe commenting on other positions such as full back.

And whilst you are a knowledgeable poster and know the score on overseas trained players, I'm not sure everybody thinks about that before posting - so the thread becomes about 'fantasy' rather than realistic options.

This transfer thread is headed as the January transfer thread.

So I guess its going to be for where we need to strengthen the team for the 2nd half of the season (short term needs) plus anyone brought in with a view to the future who might only join Spurs in the summer, even if signed in January (which your list is mainly about, and in the summer there will be a lot more time and a larger 'market' of buyers so better chance of dealing with our excess overseas players - plus of course Vorm, Dembele and Llorente's contracts are up and Alderweireld's contract situation means its likely he will be sold, all of which frees up a lot of 'overseas trained' squad places fairly easily).

So the problem I'm highlighting is one affecting the January 'incoming players' - assuming we agree we need extra bodies for the 2nd half of the season. And I guess most punters will focus on the CM (or lack thereof) position at Spurs, before maybe commenting on other positions such as full back.

And whilst you are a knowledgeable poster and know the score on overseas trained players, I'm not sure everybody thinks about that before posting - so the thread becomes about 'fantasy' rather than realistic options.

These threads will always be fantasy to be fair.

I'm still a little mystified why lots of people think getting 4 players off the payroll in January will be that easy.

N'Koudou flopped a loan at Burnley last season and was available for sale or transfer all last summer, but not too many rumours. If he'd wanted to move to play (as most players do) a way would have been found as Spurs clearly aren't going to play him with the AM's we already have. So likely its his wages/payoff which are the issue for both buying and selling clubs.

Jansen has had a couple of injuries and hasn't played since the end of last season, which isn't the best info to have on your cv for a move in January.

Initially Vorm was off last summer but then had a one year extension in the summer which expires in the summer, and with Gazanigga showing he can hack it, he would be available in January (would Poch be happy with a Spurs youngster as 3trd choice GK ?) . However my guess is none of his preferred clubs were that interested last summer which is why he reversed his decision and stayed last summer. So will both Vorm and Spurs be lucky in January ?

To get 4 out of the door without either 2 or 3 of the above going will be very challenging.

After that its a question of whether Poch wants to sell the injury prone Dembele and Wanyama, and he might provided he can get a decent replacement in....which comes back to whether he has a large choice through being able to recruit overseas trained players or a smaller choice if there are only available places in the squad for homegrown players.
I think those players can easily be sold as their wages are far from extreme in today's market. Obviously with no one coming in for them blows that theory out of the water, but GKN is on £20k in today's market that sum can be paid by any PL club, many Championship clubs and I would imagine a fair number too in Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Imagine if he was on £60k, we would be fucked. I honestly don't see selling any of our players too much of an issue, or at least getting stuck with them.

So much is said of our wages as a negative but the flip side is we aren't necessarily stuck with big salaried players. (I saw Palace last night Benteke £120k, Sakho £100k, Dann £60k, Wickham £60k, Townsend £70k, Mayer £170k LOL, Zaha £120k).

Good point.

Do you think we would accept a high bid off United in January though? and strengthen them for the second half of the season where they could POTENTIALLY then overtake us?

I can't see it. I'd only see us selling Toby in January to a team oversees.
I would have had it been last summer. But not in Jan, no. Unless we manage to get in the right replacement. Which is not likely

I think those players can easily be sold as their wages are far from extreme in today's market. Obviously with no one coming in for them blows that theory out of the water, but GKN is on £20k in today's market that sum can be paid by any PL club, many Championship clubs and I would imagine a fair number too in Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Imagine if he was on £60k, we would be fucked. I honestly don't see selling any of our players too much of an issue, or at least getting stuck with them.

So much is said of our wages as a negative but the flip side is we aren't necessarily stuck with big salaried players. (I saw Palace last night Benteke £120k, Sakho £100k, Dann £60k, Wickham £60k, Townsend £70k, Mayer £170k LOL, Zaha £120k).

Not sure GKN would be attractive to PL clubs are his Burnley loan, not sure what it is, but maybe going back to France might be his best playing option rather than PL - but whilst wages shouldn't be a problem I am surprised he didn't move last summer when it was clear that was in his and Spurs best interest. So I assume its more complicated - for example (and I don't know this) his agent could be insisting Spurs pay up all his contract or similar - which is why, and nothing has really changed since the summer that it might be less likely

Janssen's recent lengthy injury and lack of recent playing time is probably more of an issue than his wages.

So agreed our wage levels probably make several of them relatively easy to move on, I'm not sure that's the major barrier.

Not sure GKN would be attractive to PL clubs are his Burnley loan, not sure what it is, but maybe going back to France might be his best playing option rather than PL - but whilst wages shouldn't be a problem I am surprised he didn't move last summer when it was clear that was in his and Spurs best interest. So I assume its more complicated - for example (and I don't know this) his agent could be insisting Spurs pay up all his contract or similar - which is why, and nothing has really changed since the summer that it might be less likely

Janssen's recent lengthy injury and lack of recent playing time is probably more of an issue than his wages.

So agreed our wage levels probably make several of them relatively easy to move on, I'm not sure that's the major barrier.
Even Jansen I don't see an issue, he's on the same wages as Onomah & KWP. Centre Forward is one of the hardest positions to fill in my opinion, being a CF for Tottenham (unable to oust Kane) is a good thing not a positive. Obviously, his injury could be serious and maybe this might be a real issue but we also "only" paid £17m for him. Perez was bought by Woolwich for the same amount and had the same impact with them (poor) but he didn't have Kane in front of him, he couldn't get in front of Giroud who was only good for 14 goals a season. West Ham paid just under £20m for him and pay £80k pw in wages, he's also 29 whereas Jansen is 24yrs old!!!!

Allegedly but also on a significant win bonus no doubt.

It should have been sorted.
Of course allegedly and all our players have a bonus on top their basic wages, allegedly the best bonus package in the league.

Yep, he should have signed. Looks like his greed has absolutely fucked himself, if he would have signed the deal when presented it he would have earned an extra £7.8m by now.

Payroll has gone up mate, probably around 40% increase over the last 2yrs alone. It will almost certainly continue to go up as the players we are looking to offload are on relatively low wages, to replace them will only see them replaced with players on higher wages unless they are replaced by academy players GKN is on about £20k pw, as too is Jansen, Onomah, Vorm. Even if it still turns out to be Rose or Toby leaving they are on £60k and £75k respectfully, Dembele, Llorente & Wanyama all on £70-£80k pw.
That's why the stadium is being built but the wages needs to go up to compete.

22 years old. Has been at Huddersfield since the 13-14 season.

Someone please do the math

Just triple checked and found out he is. Would be a smart signing to be honest. I've liked what I've seen of him and feel like he'd comfortably make the step-up to a bigger club. He has Premier League experience and has shown improvement year on year.

Brilliant defensively and allows other players to create. No player has made more tackles in a single game than Billing did yesterday against Bournemouth and only two players in the league have made more successful tackles than him this season (Gueye and Wan-Bissaka).

I've kept an eye out of or him ever since I saw him impress for Huddersfield against Man City in the FA Cup back in the 16/17 season. He was about 20 years old then too and completely dominated midfield.

Would be cheaper than the usual Dembele replacements banded about but would probably be relatively risk-free and cheaper than all of them.

Just triple checked and found out he is. Would be a smart signing to be honest. I've liked what I've seen of him and feel like he'd comfortably make the step-up to a bigger club. He has Premier League experience and has shown improvement year on year.

Brilliant defensively and allows other players to create. No player has made more tackles in a single game than Billing did yesterday against Bournemouth and only two players in the league have made more successful tackles than him this season (Gueye and Wan-Bissaka).

I've kept an eye out of or him ever since I saw him impress for Huddersfield against Man City in the FA Cup back in the 16/17 season. He was about 20 years old then too and completely dominated midfield.

Would be cheaper than the usual Dembele replacements banded about but would probably be relatively risk-free and cheaper than all of them.
Definitely an alternative to keep an eye on

Back
Top Bottom