January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dele and Eriksen are better than him. We need a defensive midfield (Ndombélé or Marcos Llorente), a central back if Toby leaves (Mario Hermoso from Espanyol) and a striker if Fernando Llorente leaves.
Ndombele is not a defensive midfielder either. More in the same role as Winks in that he drives the ball up field

I'm not sure Winks is better - Cook is a year younger too. Ultimately, we need more players like Winks/Cook in midfield who can pass the ball quickly. Cooks experience at such a young age (and captaining his team to a World Cup) would be welcome to this team. Whether he and Winks would compete for the same spot or in the same team, I don't know but he'd be a welcome addition I think.

Oh I completely agree, I’d welcome him with open arms. Midfield should be our main concern this and next window.

Dele and Eriksen are better than him. We need a defensive midfield (Ndombélé or Marcos Llorente), a central back if Toby leaves (Mario Hermoso from Espanyol) and a striker if Fernando Llorente leaves.

Our problem lies with too many foreign players, we need to register home grown. If we want to sign foreign we need to sell foreign.

I think we’ll be looking at homegrown over the next couple of windows, which is why we’ve been linked with Ake, Dunk, Cook, Grealish, Loftus-Cheek, Rice, Abraham and Callum Wilson.

With the new loan rules coming in, Abraham will either have the choice of sitting on Chelsea's bench as either 3rd or even 4th option, or leave. I'd imagine he would cost a lot, but I think he would leave. He's too good for the Championship, should never have been made to wait for as long as he did for a move.

FIFA's proposals to overhaul loan system set for 2020
"it is currently unclear whether the new rule would apply to domestic loans or homegrown players."

dodgy source but seen it elsewhere too
Chelsea: Exceptions to FIFA loan rules will cover most Blue loanees
The key exceptions are unlimited loans for club- or association-trained players, unlimited domestic loans and the restrictions not applying to players under 21 or 23. Any combination of these will cover most of Chelsea’s prized youngsters.

Nowhere near a big enough number of games to talk about putting down a massive fee on him, which what it will take.

That and we've got to look home grown.
Sure but also not enough games to dismiss him, if his loan is an interview he is doing well so far. Prefer the look of him over Kovacic so far in the PL but if he continues like this Everton will pay a high price for him so your right could be a massive fee.

We have to look homegrown in January but hopefully we can shift some of the fringe players to make room for 1 or 2 quality foreign signings in the summer.

Sure but also not enough games to dismiss him, if his loan is an interview he is doing well so far. Prefer the look of him over Kovacic so far in the PL but if he continues like this Everton will pay a high price for him so your right could be a massive fee.

We have to look homegrown in January but hopefully we can shift some of the fringe players to make room for 1 or 2 quality foreign signings in the summer.
You're on about the summer? In that case, I think we should be aiming a little higher. The N'Dombele's of this world.

And yea, Everton will go all out. Siggy style.

You're on about the summer? In that case, I think we should be aiming a little higher. The N'Dombele's of this world.

And yea, Everton will go all out. Siggy style.
If we were talking about Gomes its only the summer, he is on a season long loan.

N'Dombele will name his club in the summer, not sure who else of his stature is an option.

Gomes is doing alright in the average club in PL. At highest stage at Barcelona he was so shite, they couldn't even sell him. For next chapter, Spurs need better players then him. Ndombele is good example, hopefully we can compete for signing him.

Gomes is Everton level. He was not Barça level, and is not our level. Ndombele is, but we moved 1 year too late on that one.

We probably can’t afford the Ndombele/De Jong bidding war, but guys just behind them are perfect for us.

Gomes is Everton level. He was not Barça level, and is not our level. Ndombele is, but we moved 1 year too late on that one.

We probably can’t afford the Ndombele/De Jong bidding war, but guys just behind them are perfect for us.
would have been very difficult to get him in the summer when they only just completed the the loan

The Napoli kid?

That's the one. He's older than NDombele but I think he'll end up being the better player when it's all said and done.

I also think Haidara will end up better than NDombele too after a season or two at top level football - would love for us to sign him in January and loan him back to Salzburg until the end of their season.

Haidara would be the cheapest option. He's also the youngest of the three. He'll probably just go to RB Leipzig though.

Back
Top Bottom