Tottenham Hotspur vs Barcelona - UCL 3/10

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only interested in a top-four finish?
I think they want to win the league but it's not going to happen like this.

I genuinely don't think the players themselves believe they can win which is why we bottle it at the finish line just like last year, the year before and so on.

Perhaps if we won an FA cup or something they could lose whatever mental block is preventing the team from actually going all the way.

I think they want to win the league but it's not going to happen like this.
Would be amazing, but that's not gonna happen this season and most likely the staff and players are aware of that as well. They better show up in the League and FA Cup if they actually want to win some silverware with this club for the first time since February 2008.

Last edited:
this.

people doing the usual bumming of Barca, but lets put this in reverse, and ask what happens if we're full strength and Barca are without Coutinho, Messi, Busquets and Pique, who are probably their equivalents of the above mentioned players.

no doubt the barca nuthuggers would all over the missing players had they been on the other side, yet there was barely a mention of our players being missing.

I've heard dickhead comments today how this apparently proves we needed reinforcements, because we couldn't beat Barca with 4 of our best 5 players missing.... ffs
Even if we had everyone fit we should have reinforced in the summer. Shipped out Dembele and Sissoko and got 3 or 4 replacements. Even our fully fit squad can't survive loss of form, injury or suspension. That's why we needed additions.
We'll never know if our first choice team would beat them. Anyone still subscribing to ' or squad is strong enough' needs their head examined.

Would be amazing, but that's not gonna happen this season and most likely the staff and players are aware of that as well. They better show up in the League and FA Cup if they actually want to win some silverware with this club since February 2008.

You always get the players coming out and saying they want to win a cup for this club and how this group of players deserve one.

But when they put out sub par performances in the league cup and shocking performances in semi finals, it all starts to look like good PR from the club as opposed to what the players want.

I've heard dickhead comments today how this apparently proves we needed reinforcements, because we couldn't beat Barca with 4 of our best 5 players missing.... ffs

So we didn't need reinforcements, is that what you're saying? That the "sign nobody" policy this summer was actually a cunning plan?

Yeah we lost, hey ho, bad luck plucky li'l Tottenham.

I remember Norwich in the 93-94 UEFA Cup, beating Bayern but losing to Inter Milan. That was the narrative then. Again and again it's how I see people explaining Spurs, the whole "punching above our weight" apologetics

Even if we had everyone fit we should have reinforced in the summer. Shipped out Dembele and Sissoko and got 3 or 4 replacements. Even our fully fit squad can't survive loss of form, injury or suspension. That's why we needed additions.
We'll never know if our first choice team would beat them. Anyone still subscribing to ' or squad is strong enough' needs their head examined.
no one is saying we shouldn't have reinforced, just that losing to a top side like Barca with 4 of our best players missing is not proof of this either way and the bumming of Barca is without any real understanding or context.

So we didn't need reinforcements, is that what you're saying? That the "sign nobody" policy this summer was actually a cunning plan?

I remember Norwich in the 93-94 UEFA Cup, beating Bayern but losing to Inter Milan. That was the narrative then. Again and again it's how I see people explaining Spurs, the whole "punching above our weight" apologetics
i started typing a long response but seriously i think when folk miss the point this much I need to learn to just leave it.

So are you in the punching below our weight camp?

Mainly miserable cliched rambling on your part. I wasn't gushing over Messi... You called ME out for not being able to criticize the team (like thats some pre-requisite for being a proper supporter!?!?) Doubt you'll find me even mention him in this entire thread. Beneath the surface of your comments you're just burying your head and moaning about spending.

(If CP want to overpay average to poor players thats their own stupid fault... Just ask the goons how overpaying has panned out for them.)

If that's the sum total of your opinion; you're 'welcome' to it... Albeit like a fart is welcome in a left.
Fair enough. Some of that I can't argue with lol...

So are you in the punching below our weight camp?
Don't be dense mate, I was saying we're Tottenham, not Norwich. We're not a plucky provincial team, we're one that has pretensions of going toe-to-toe with the country's and the continent's finest.

And GDN, I didn't miss THE point, I was commenting on A point you made, namely "I've heard dickhead comments today how this apparently proves we needed reinforcements". The implication is that you think we didn't.

When you have to bring on a non-footballer like Sissoko to turn the game around because the only alternative on the bench is a lad who's just turned 18 and has never before been an unused sub, let alone played for the first team, it would seem to suggest that we very much DID we need reinforcements in the summer. If you think that's a "dickhead comment" then so be it, I'd say it was an opinion shared by the vast majority of Spurs fans

y how this apparently proves we needed reinforcements". The implication is that you think we didn't.

When you have to bring on a non-footballer like Sissoko to turn the game around because the only alternative on the bench is a lad who's just turned 18 and has never before been an unused sub, let alone played for the first team, it would seem to suggest that we very much DID we need reinforcements in the summer. If you think that's a "dickhead comment" then so be it, I'd say it was an opinion shared by the vast majority of Spurs fans
1000 times this

Back
Top Bottom