Tottenham Hotspur vs Barcelona - UCL 3/10

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well when they gave vardy and mahrez new contracts, they both were earning over 120,000 a week. We still were haggling about paying any of our players 100,000... even zahas new contract at palace is for over 120,000 a week apparently...
Kane's on £200k per week.

And we have a bigger overall wage bill, 6th in the league, with the obvious suspects above us.

Am I not allowed my opinion then..they are playing fucking embarrassingly... naive and basicly all over the place..and the club is being run on a shoestring by a twat. Even little Leicester and crystal palace pay their players better than us. Yet we are the big club...so yes I'm fucked off with it. We have had an unbelievable chance over the last 4 years to make a real impact on the future for this club, I think our chance may have gone because those teams we were above. Including Liverpool and Chelsea have awoken up and started to act like the big clubs they say they are...i wish we would do the same. I'm not gonna just roll over all fishy because Messi was in town.. I don't support Barca, fuck Messi. Untill he signs for us anyway LMAO..

No

Now fuck off

So we didn't need reinforcements, is that what you're saying? That the "sign nobody" policy this summer was actually a cunning plan?

Yeah we lost, hey ho, bad luck plucky li'l Tottenham.

I remember Norwich in the 93-94 UEFA Cup, beating Bayern but losing to Inter Milan. That was the narrative then. Again and again it's how I see people explaining Spurs, the whole "punching above our weight" apologetics

Jeremy Goss?

Don't be dense mate, I was saying we're Tottenham, not Norwich. We're not a plucky provincial team, we're one that has pretensions of going toe-to-toe with the country's and the continent's finest.

And GDN, I didn't miss THE point, I was commenting on A point you made, namely "I've heard dickhead comments today how this apparently proves we needed reinforcements". The implication is that you think we didn't.

When you have to bring on a non-footballer like Sissoko to turn the game around because the only alternative on the bench is a lad who's just turned 18 and has never before been an unused sub, let alone played for the first team, it would seem to suggest that we very much DID we need reinforcements in the summer. If you think that's a "dickhead comment" then so be it, I'd say it was an opinion shared by the vast majority of Spurs fans
i haven't implied i think we didn't- just that losing to a world class side with nearly half the first 11 missing doesn't prove it either way. It smacks of specious reasoning.

Pride in being shit? We played against perhaps the best team in the world without 4 key players.

Today you cannot criticise us for being worse than Barça, we gave it a good go and showed some quality and guts. Were you expecting us to dominate this game with Wanyama’s ghost in midfield?

Couldn't agree more:

Suarez: 73.5 Mil
Malcolm: 36 Mil
Lenglet: 32 Mil
Coutinho: 117 Mil
Dembele: 103 Mil
Paulinho: 36 Mil (now sold)

Last Summer: 113 Mil spent
Summer before: 310 Mil spent
Summer before: 112 Mil spent
Summer before: 150 Mil spent

650 odd million spent in four seasons, almost enough to pay for our new stadium.

Think about that at some point during the return leg, when Barcelona score, and not how fucking bad we defended, held the ball up, or passed the ball.

The two sides are not even in the same league, let alone Spurs managing to match them for periods of the game, as said with three key players missing.

Time to get fucking real.

I mean do people not realize this shit?

There are some deluded boneheads (not just in here) expecting us to roll this side over even without our assist master Eriksen and creator and scorer Dele, and rock of a defender Jan.

I sometimes simply lose patience with some of these self entitled fuckwits.

You don't think there are 3 or maybe even 4 teams already in the EL better than us?
There are, yes... but we've got to be able to beat SOMEONE better than us once in a while to win a trophy... we can't always follow the pre-match expectation!

I just think the clubs better than us in the CL are pretty much untouchable... whereas the EL teams who could well be deemed better than us are infinitely more beatable! If that makes sense?

I think they want to win the league but it's not going to happen like this.

I genuinely don't think the players themselves believe they can win which is why we bottle it at the finish line just like last year, the year before and so on.

Perhaps if we won an FA cup or something they could lose whatever mental block is preventing the team from actually going all the way.
We have never followed up winning the league following a cup win in our entire history:
1901 won the FA Cup finished 2nd in the Southern Div the following year
1921 won the FA Cup finished 2nd in First Div the following year
1961 won the FA Cup finished 2nd in First Div the following year
1962 won the Cup Winners Cup finished 4th the following year
1967 won the FA Cup finished 7th the following year
1971 won the League Cup finished 6th the following year
1972 won the UEFA Cup finished 8th the following year
1973 won the League Cup finished 11th the following year
1981 won the FA Cup finished 8th the following year
1982 won the FA Cup finished 4th the following year
1984 won UEFA Cup finished 3rd the following year
1991 won the FA Cup finished 15th the following year
1999 won the League Cup finished 10th the following year
2008 won the League Cup finished 8th the following year

So sorry mate all evidence supports the complete opposite to this worn out bollocks. Building a team that is consistently up at the top of the table will improve the chances of us winning a Cup. The facts also back this up too, in fact, only us, Wigan and Portsmouth have won the FA Cup whilst being outside the top 4 in over 30yrs!! It's a similar story for the League Cup too.

Last edited:
Tbf, there's two sides to that coin. Ultimately, blame the laws on standing, not the lady that can't see.

IMO of course. :wanyama:

Sorry but IMO if you cant tolerate fans standing and supporting their team you should be subject to a banning order preventing you being within 3 miles of a football ground on match days....

We have never followed up winning the league follow a cup win in our entire history:
1901 won the FA Cup finished 2nd in the Southern Div the following year
1921 won the FA Cup finished 2nd in First Div the following year
1961 won the FA Cup finished 2nd in First Div the following year
1962 won the Cup Winners Cup finished 4th the following year
1967 won the FA Cup finished 7th the following year
1971 won the League Cup finished 6th the following year
1972 won the UEFA Cup finished 8th the following year
1973 won the League Cup finished 11th the following year
1981 won the FA Cup finished 8th the following year
1982 won the FA Cup finished 4th the following year
1984 won UEFA Cup finished 3rd the following year
1991 won the FA Cup finished 15th the following year
1999 won the League Cup finished 10th the following year
2008 won the League Cup finished 8th the following year

So sorry mate all evidence supports the complete opposite to this worn out bollocks. Building a team that is consistently up at the top of the table will improve the chances of us winning a Cup. The facts also back this up too, in fact, only us, Wigan and Portsmouth have won the FA Cup whilst being outside the top 4 in over 30yrs!! It's a similar story for the League Cup too.

Given we've won the league twice not really sure you needed to type all that.

Given we've won the league twice not really sure you needed to type all that.
You are right my man, but it's all I hear, "if we win a cup it will push us on" clearly those that say this have something that supports this theory, Hoddle banging on with the same narrative last week, using his own Tottenham examples as evidence, but failing to acknowledge that his Tottenham side didn't push on and do anything after winning their Cups. Utter madness to trot out this shite with nothing to back it up.

You are right my man, but it's all I hear, "if we win a cup it will push us on" clearly those that say this have something that supports this theory, Hoddle banging on with the same narrative last week, using his own Tottenham examples as evidence, but failing to acknowledge that his Tottenham side didn't push on and do anything after winning their Cups. Utter madness to trot out this shite with nothing to back it up.

How do you explain the fact that the players consistently bottle it at crucial moments?

Go to the football expect football norms as well, regardless of the rules (not laws - they can kick you out and ban you not arrest you for standing) on standing at the games. Same rules that prohibit swearing and abusive language. In both instances Fuck off is appropriate

(*assuming he was in an area where standing is normal or it was intermittent standing if not).

Flip it round for a minute... An ageing man or woman buys a ticket for a seat... Maybe the can't stand for 120mins (or in the case of my Dad simply cant physically handle the constant up-down)... To be able to sit is paramount to their decision to purchase said ticket.

Fuck them is what you're saying?

Trust me, I'm in the same spiritual camp as you as far as what i want MY matchday experience to be... But it is what it is... The 90s is loooooong gone.. The game like society is forever changing.

Obv. seperate standing and seating sections is the solution, but no sign of that any time soon.

How do you explain the fact that the players consistently bottle it at crucial moments?
I absolutely hate the word we've bottled a game, under Poch we haven't IMO. We've lost to a team better than us recently, FA Cup semi's lost to the teams that finished higher than us in the League (Champions & runners-up). Same with the League Cup final lost to the Champions, made even easier giving them a whole week to prepare for the game whilst we were in Italy just 48hrs before.

But what has that got to do with you saying winning a Cup will push us on?

You expect us to beat Barca with three of our best players out, after signing no one in the transfer window, being pretty much the only team in the league without a loss-making net spend and playing away from our proper home?
We were a mess last night. We have failed to invest and have moved backwards from where we were a year ago.
I'm in favour of financial responsibility, and I think Levy has done well considering what he started with, but we have missed an opportunity to achieve greatness. We have chosen mediocrity. Most of you lot are putting your efforts into spinning this. Why? Why excuse the club's decay with bullshit? Wake up

My views after watching the boys last night are that we were beaten by the more technically gifted team but I was really happy to see belief that we could and should try and nick something after being 2-0 down at half time, especially with so many of our linchpins and clever players out.

Lamela still needs to take it up a notch with his bravery with the ball at his feet but the guy is nipping into tackles, harassing and most importantly scoring a few goals now which is delightful to see.

Sonny off colour, he is a bench player at present with Lucas on a different level to him, all part and parcel of the squad game these days and Winks went from timid shy little boy lost into a brave, risk taking make shit happen and go chasing the ball midfielder in the second half. He needs to do it more and it was great to see him run at them instead of just pass it backwards and sideways when nothing was on. Really happy with how he and others committed to attacking even if it left space at the back. To Dare is to do afterall!

Kane was a menace but sadly our fullbacks just aren't switched on enough for them to be top class and it effects others. Look at Barcas first goal, the full backs off the ball movement and ball into space by Messi unravelled us when our full backs just wait for ball to feet. Move into space, give and go football, it'll make defences restless and at worse you winna throw in or corner if you aren't able to make an opportunity at goal. This is the one thing I noticed about us and them from an intelligence level they knew the percentages and rewards for committing into certain parts of the pitch and their teammates always, always gave their teammates ways out of situations with neat triangles, quick passing, knowing where their teammates are or should be and it got us chasing shadows.

From the Spurs side I can't complain, defensively we were ropey but that's to be expected with who we were playing, the errors we made and with Jan not being there and to score a couple against them with no Dele, Eriksen, a midfield that just ain't good enough for Champions League football I was happy with our fight. From their side all so intelligent. Busquets top class, Messi nothing needs to be said, their full backs threatening, all in sync with their teammates movement and mindset and splendid to watch not just when in attack but when we were putting the pressure on. I hope we take note of their smart football, even when the ball wasn't at an individuals feet. For me Rakitic and Arthur really stood out in spells, it was great to see.

We lost 4-2 granted but I was so happy with our fight, it's the only reason we scored two goals against them we sadly had lapses in concentration and at times in the first half wanted to dictate the pace of the game which was a notch below how Barca wanted to play. It could be a wonderful learning curve for a few, most notably Winksy as he really grew as the game went on.

Chins up boys, we still have more than a chance of qualifying even if the table doesn't look promising right now

Back
Top Bottom