Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think it means nobody is prepared to risk a decent bid for N'Koudou.

I thought Poch might need to keep Onomah as a CM (his best position in the Academy, even though Poch has only played him on the wing) given Dembele's injury record and declining ability to play multiple successive games meaning we will be reliant on Winks keeping fit to have a creative CM......unless Poch gives a lot more minutes to the likes of Amos, Oakley-Boothe and Skipp than most fans expect......or the minutes to Sissoko that fans will probably fear !

Well he trusted Sissoko with plenty of game time last season so why not this one?

But it's not a case of 'any armchair fanatic can see Josh has more ability than Sissoko' at all though. That's just armchair fans hating on Sissoko, and therefore automatically assuming youngsters like Josh have more potential.

I think I would trust Poch's judgement of the youth academy, ahead of any fucking so called armchair fan, given that he witnesses them day in, day out.

So no, he doesn't need to test new formations at all - he needs to do what HE thinks is best. Goodbye, the end.

Agree. Doubt Josh is as willing to sit on the bench and wait for his chances as Sissoko has been.
Probably has been a big factor in deciding to loan him out this and last season.
Sissoko if nothing else has proven to be a dedicated team player willing to keep his head down and work hard.
I'd rather him in the squad than a petulant/moody Onomah disrupting precious squad harmony.

Sissoko and Onomah completely different players

Also Sissoko has proven himself while Onomah hasn’t

Agreed they are different players. Sissoko tries to play as an AM and CM but looks pretty 'meh' most of the time.

Onomah has been played by Poch as a winger/AM about 30 times off the bench - problem is that he always played as a CM in youth football, so no surprises he wasn't pulling up trees.

Sissoko has only proved himself to be a decent player for France playing as a right sided CM in the last few years, tries hard at Spurs but usually unsuccessfully, so at his age he's not going to change.

Better to develop a youngster than give minutes to someone who's never going to improve from being a poor player

Sissoko and Onomah completely different players

Also Sissoko has proven himself while Onomah hasn’t

Yeah, they should be but Pochettino keeps playing Sissoko (who is a wide AM) as a Cm and Onomah (who is a Cm) as a wide AM.

And yeah Sissoko has proven himself to not be good enough for this level, Onomah hasn’t done that yet.

Last edited:
Agreed they are different players. Sissoko tries to play as an AM and CM but looks pretty 'meh' most of the time.

Onomah has been played by Poch as a winger/AM about 30 times off the bench - problem is that he always played as a CM in youth football, so no surprises he wasn't pulling up trees.

Sissoko has only proved himself to be a decent player for France playing as a right sided CM in the last few years, tries hard at Spurs but usually unsuccessfully, so at his age he's not going to change.

Better to develop a youngster than give minutes to someone who's never going to improve from being a poor player

Must be a reason why he isn't playing CM though when chosen? Yet Winks has been given minutes there?

Even at Villa, he was played in a variety of positions.

Must be a reason why he isn't playing CM though when chosen? Yet Winks has been given minutes there?

Even at Villa, he was played in a variety of positions.

There should be a reason but I don't understand what it is - and most youth watchers don't understand what it is either.

Steve Bruce wouldn't be my choice as manager, but it often happens that players on loan are tried out in different positions from the ones they are used to - its thought that Rose was first tried out as a LB when on loan at Bristol City (at Leeds he was a left winger and Spurs often plated him at CM) so sometimes it has good results. But sometimes if a player has always played well as a CM.....its worth playing him there rather than a different position !

There should be a reason but I don't understand what it is - and most youth watchers don't understand what it is either.

Steve Bruce wouldn't be my choice as manager, but it often happens that players on loan are tried out in different positions from the ones they are used to - its thought that Rose was first tried out as a LB when on loan at Bristol City (at Leeds he was a left winger and Spurs often plated him at CM) so sometimes it has good results. But sometimes if a player has always played well as a CM.....its worth playing him there rather than a different position !

Can only assume its attitude then.

Possibly his attitude in regards to being disciplined tactically but definitely wouldn’t be a problem with his attitude as a person.

I’ve heard a few people say what a lovely and humble guy Josh is.

I heard Pochettino wasn't happy with Onomah on his return from his World Cup win last year and was acting like a big time Charlie.

Can only assume its attitude then.

Onomah made his debut in the FA Cup in January 2015 (over 3 years ago), and played about 19 times in 2015/16 (mainly off the bench and mostly on right wing) and about 12 times in 2016/17 (again mainly bench and as a right winger), so I could certainly understand a certain amount of frustration at getting minutes in a position where he knows he's not going to excel at. But there's been no whispers about attitude with Onomah,

No real surprise he went on loan to Villa last season to get playing time, but rarely played in his 'best' position which must have been a bit frustrating, having said that he made 20 starts with another 13 appearances off the bench in the Championship so he must have been doing ok, otherwise Bruce would have dropped him and sent him back at Christmas.

It's quite disappointing to hear that Onomah could leave for first team football - was really hoping he could work hard and get a chance with the first team squad this season. It's such a shame that he was injured in pre-season, could really have staked a claim.
Why? Why is it disappointing that a player who couldn't even hold down a regular place in a championship team last season is deemed not good enough for a champions league club. The player has shown nothing to suggest he's ready to cut it at the highest level. The only disappointing thing is that some of our supporters have had their expectations lowered so much this summer that they are now reduced to hoping players like Josh nail down a place in the squad.

I heard Pochettino wasn't happy with Onomah on his return from his World Cup win last year and was acting like a big time Charlie.
I heard this as well. I also heard that he wasn't too impressed when Nkoudou turned up at his first training session in a really wide boy car.

Any substance to this rumour? If so imagine how Poch would have responded if we'd signed Wilfried and he rocked up in one of his super cars, especially his gold Lambo

Why? Why is it disappointing that a player who couldn't even hold down a regular place in a championship team last season is deemed not good enough for a champions league club. The player has shown nothing to suggest he's ready to cut it at the highest level. The only disappointing thing is that some of our supporters have had their expectations lowered so much this summer that they are now reduced to hoping players like Josh nail down a place in the squad.

If you start about 2/3rds of the matches in the Championship then that's certainly holding down a regular place in the side - and that was at age 20,

I like to see talented young players succeed.

don-draper-1024x683.jpg

Back
Top Bottom