Pre season 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As an American Spurs supporter with (not inexpensive) tickets to the match with AC Milan in Minneapolis, I can say: yes, unavoidably, it will be somewhat disappointing not to see Kane, Alli, Son, Erikson, etc., assuming they do not make the trip. However, that disappointment is tempered by the fact that I expected all along to be missing many of them—it is a World Cup year, after all. And there is a different kind of joy, as a supporter, to be able to watch players like Walker-Peters, Moura, Carter-Vickers, Winks, and others who could/should have big roles to play for Spurs going forward. And it will also be meaningful to see some of our development squad cutting their teeth.

So, sure, will my daughters (burgeoning Spurs supporters themselves) be disappointed if they don’t get to see Harry Kane? Sure. Who wouldn’t be? But it will still be a great day to be a Spurs supporter, and I’m really looking forward to it. COYS!

I'm not sure we'll see Son for the first game either. He's going to miss the start of the season for us anyway because he'll be playing for South Korea at the Asian Games in Indonesia from the 14th August to the 1st of September. So no point rushing him to match sharpness when he won't appear for us until Matchday 5 (vs Liverpool) anyway.

I'm not sure we'll see Son for the first game either. He's going to miss the start of the season for us anyway because he'll be playing for South Korea at the Asian Games in Indonesia from the 14th August to the 1st of September. So no point rushing him to match sharpness when he won't appear for us until Matchday 5 (vs Liverpool) anyway.

Good but moot point, think we'll have to see.

His 3 week break after the world cup ends on about 19 July, to be playing in the Asian Games he will need a pre-season and I'd guess the South Koreans will either expect to see him and the rest of the South Korea squad on or about 31 July or even a week earlier given Asian Games start on 14 August.

Not sure Spurs need to accede to his request to play at Asian Games under fifa rules, although we probably have as its a chance for him to avoid military service, but we may well have said we want him to play for Spurs in US simply as we'll be short of first team players. And it probably isn't that much of a problem for South Koreans to have a more match fit Son join them on say 31 July than a week or so earlier.

If Son misses the US tour he'll still be training and playing for South Korea so I don't expect it'll make much difference to his 'freshness' when he re-joins Spurs in mid September, but he will have missed out on re-acquainting himself with Poch style playing and other players (including possibly any new transfers in ).

Da_gXzcW4AAENdM.jpg

AS Roma, FC Barcelona and AC Milan

Now the World Cup Group Stages are out of the way, the squad for the games in the US is starting to take shape.

The following players are back to start training next week and will form the core squad for the first USA match on 25 July :

GK's - Vorm, Gazzaniga,
CB's - Foyth, Carter-Vickers
FB's - Aurier, Walker-Peters, Davies
CM's - Wanyama, Winks, Onomah
AM's - Sissoko, Moura, Lamela, N’Koudou,
Fwds - Janssen, Llorente

Son (South Korea) did not make it through the group stages so after 21 days holiday will fit in about a week's training before first match on 25 July, and so is likely to figure in that match, but maybe for only 45 minutes.

Expect to see a few Development players join that squad, possibly :

GK's - Whiteman, Austin
Defenders - Tanganga (but maybe called up for E u19's which overlaps the US tour), Dinzeyi Brown,
CM's - Amos, Oakley-Boothe
AM's - Georgiou, Shashoua, Edwards
Fwds - Sterling, Griffiths (?).

That excludes any incoming transfers not playing at the World Cup signed in the next few weeks - and indeed includes a few players who might be sold in the next couple of weeks (eg Janssen)

Any players playing for countries knocked out in the round of last 16, after a 21 days holiday break would have almost no pre-season training for the first match on 25th and maybe only a couple of days for the match on 28th.

When the other players will be available to play depends on when the country they play for gets knocked out :
England - Kane, Dele, Dier, Rose.Trippier
Belgium - Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Dembele
France - Lloris
Colombia - Sanchez
Denmark - Eriksen

And those 11 internationals pretty much make up a decent first team.

Again , subject to any transfers in and out.

So Eriksen's Denmark are out of the world cup this evening, and after 21 days rest, he'll have about 2 days pre season training before the first match.

Does that mean he'll get a short run out (due to so few first team players) to satisfy sponsors and fans buying tickets ?

So Eriksen's Denmark are out of the world cup this evening, and after 21 days rest, he'll have about 2 days pre season training before the first match.

Does that mean he'll get a short run out (due to so few first team players) to satisfy sponsors and fans buying tickets ?

That thought did cross my mind already....

As an American Spurs supporter with (not inexpensive) tickets to the match with AC Milan in Minneapolis, I can say: yes, unavoidably, it will be somewhat disappointing not to see Kane, Alli, Son, Erikson, etc., assuming they do not make the trip. However, that disappointment is tempered by the fact that I expected all along to be missing many of them—it is a World Cup year, after all. And there is a different kind of joy, as a supporter, to be able to watch players like Walker-Peters, Moura, Carter-Vickers, Winks, and others who could/should have big roles to play for Spurs going forward. And it will also be meaningful to see some of our development squad cutting their teeth.

So, sure, will my daughters (burgeoning Spurs supporters themselves) be disappointed if they don’t get to see Harry Kane? Sure. Who wouldn’t be? But it will still be a great day to be a Spurs supporter, and I’m really looking forward to it. COYS!
Now then. This is someone who “gets it” in terms supporting Spurs.
Bravo amigo.

fd8c4eaa42f90930eae825ac6ebe790c_bigger.png
Los Angeles Spurs‏ @LASpurs
LEGEND’S NIGHT: Los Angeles Spurs Supporters’ Club Evening. 9pm-11pm Friday, July 27th, 2018 LEDLEY KING & DARREN ANDERTON BUSBY’S EAST: 5364 Wilshire Blvd, LA, CA 90036 DOORS OPEN @ 8PM FREE EVENT SPONSORED BY HEINEKEN Guest appearances from Spurs legends. Q & A, Meet & Greet.
DhZ3-fJXkAAVJ2a.jpg

Club and supporter events to support the US tour start to be publicised

So we’ll now have 8 first team players getting a rest due to a deep WC participation.
Son will be off to the Asian games.
We know Poch likes to work new recruits hard, of which we’re yet to get one in.

So there’s going to be plenty of opportunities for the fringe players and youth to impress in these pre-season games.
Can see why Poch was keen to have a home game at Wembley so we don’t start slowly

So on the last weekend of the World Cup, we'll have Hugo, Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Dele and Kane still there, whether in the final or the third-place playoff. If normal procedure is followed they won't be available to train with us until the 6th of August, missing the entirety of the pre-season friendly schedule and all bar the final five days of training. Son will also be unavailable for a total of ten very senior players. Some of them will surely have to play against Newcastle regardless of the lack of preparation, else it'd be League Cup style lineup.

Vorm
Aurier - Sanchez - Foyth - Davies
Wanyama - Winks
Lucas - Eriksen - Lamela
Llorrente

So on the last weekend of the World Cup, we'll have Hugo, Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Dele and Kane still there, whether in the final or the third-place playoff. If normal procedure is followed they won't be available to train with us until the 6th of August, missing the entirety of the pre-season friendly schedule and all bar the final five days of training. Son will also be unavailable for a total of ten very senior players. Some of them will surely have to play against Newcastle regardless of the lack of preparation, else it'd be League Cup style lineup.

Vorm
Aurier - Sanchez - Foyth - Davies
Wanyama - Winks
Lucas - Eriksen - Lamela
Llorrente
TBF all of those guys are senior players at Spurs and won't need to be "bedded" in the same way as a new signing would. Unless Poch has put together a entirely new system they should still be able to slot in and perform.

But yeah I'm torn. I want our lads to do well in the WC but I also want them to get a rest and join back up with the clan

TBF all of those guys are senior players at Spurs and won't need to be "bedded" in the same way as a new signing would. Unless Poch has put together a entirely new system they should still be able to slot in and perform.

But yeah I'm torn. I want our lads to do well in the WC but I also want them to get a rest and join back up with the clan
All done now anyway. Losing in the semis only gives you one extra day's left. I just want an England victory!

Hoping to see some pictures of the players in training this coming week - should be a decent indication of which of the Development squad players will go to the US, and hopefully see that Harry Winks is in them too.

With about 10 of our players involved with England, Belgium and France in the semi finals its pretty certain that none of them will get any significant playing time in the US as they will still be in their 21 day rest period after the exit of their teams from World Cup.

Back
Top Bottom