2 tickets for Spurs vs Chelsea on the 20th for sale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Generalising football fans as a "hostile and aggressive bunch of people" isn't going to win many people over...

A generalisation is usually based on some form of experience, and since this is the only experience I have of football fans I don’t see how you can expect me to think anything else. Being called a cunt for no good reason by someone who doesn’t know anything about me feels pretty hostile and aggressive to me. And I’m not trying to win anyone over; I’m trying to raise as much money as I can for a charity that raises funds for newborn babies. I don’t expect people to want to be friends; I just expect them to behave in a reasonable and civil manner.

I would have to agree with that, to an extent. However, even you must see that - without equivocation - your first two posts do come off as those of somebody seeking to cash-in.

You will need to take my word for this but the people on this forum are neither hostile nor aggressive in the flesh. What you have inadvertently fallen victim to though, is an unwritten yet generally-held axiom within the Spurs-supporting community [I can't speak for other supporters] concerning how tickets are sold-on. As a rule, one does not seek greater than face value (the price of beer being an acceptable mark-up) and those who do come in for identical treatment.

20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing of course, I can honestly say the reception you would have received - though it may not have solved your immediate problem - would have been far less incredulous.

Now, I wouldn't want to speak for the staff on the forum/pod but I'm certain there is a way out of this that can benefit you, the charity and the members of this board.

Thanks Reptile. I appreciate the feedback. Like I said, coming here was the suggestion of a friend of mine who is a Spurs supporter, so I don’t think I could have been expected to know about how fans feel about selling tickets for more than the face value. And I didn’t just come up with a random figure, I looked at the price other tickets seemed to be on sale for on other sites. I accept that I could have explained things better, but I still think it’s a shame that people think the worst and jump in with insults rather than trying to find out more first.

Reptile , you are a decent person but if i understood correctly what was written in that strange language of yours , he won the tickets and is trying to cash them in , no ? Charity event was the basis but now its personal gain , but i could be wrong

Reptile is right. Yes, I won the tickets, and now I'm trying to sell them to raise more money for the charity. Any money I get will go to the charity. I will keep none of it. The charity event was the St Michael’s Chorus and Orchestra at St George’s Hall in Bristol (held on the 29th September http://www.cotsfortots.org.uk/classical-concert-in-aid-of-cots-for-tots/). In total my wife paid over £100 to attend the event and after party, including tickets for the raffle. We are not taking this out of the money raised from selling these tickets. We will not cover our costs, and we definitely will not be making a profit.

Big Rich,

Register on another Spurs forum, explain the situation in full (like you have no done in this thread - you may as well pretty much copy and paste your explanation from this thread) and offer them as the two tickets for £150 (a slightly above face value figure to cover the postage) and they will get snapped up no problems, and without all the negativity you have received in here.

Thanks SpursLegend, sounds like good advice. Any chance you could give me the names of a couple of other forums?

Reptile is right. Yes, I won the tickets, and now I'm trying to sell them to raise more money for the charity. Any money I get will go to the charity. I will keep none of it. The charity event was the St Michael’s Chorus and Orchestra at St George’s Hall in Bristol (held on the 29th September http://www.cotsfortots.org.uk/classical-concert-in-aid-of-cots-for-tots/). In total my wife paid over £100 to attend the event and after party, including tickets for the raffle. We are not taking this out of the money raised from selling these tickets. We will not cover our costs, and we definitely will not be making a profit.
Big Rich, I have three questions.

1. How do you feel now on re-reading your opening post? It just mentions an inflated price with no mention of charity whatsoever. Here is your wording:
Hi. I've got two tickets for sale for the game on the 20th October. Block 3, row 5. Anyone interested?

£200 each, £350 if you take both

2. Because of this, why go expect anyone to believe you?

3. Why did you register as 'Big Rich'?

Thanks Reptile. I appreciate the feedback. Like I said, coming here was the suggestion of a friend of mine who is a Spurs supporter, so I don’t think I could have been expected to know about how fans feel about selling tickets for more than the face value. And I didn’t just come up with a random figure, I looked at the price other tickets seemed to be on sale for on other sites. I accept that I could have explained things better, but I still think it’s a shame that people think the worst and jump in with insults rather than trying to find out more first.

You're quite right you can't have been expected to know any of that. I have to give you your due for returning. Would have been the easiest thing in the world to just abandon ship.

Big rich. Unfortunately we do get a lot of chancers and spammers on this forum am so there was no reason to believe otherwise from your opening gambit. I have been active on this forum for nearly a year, but if I tried to sell on a ticket at an inflated price I would receive similar short shrift. I might not get as much abuse, thanks to at least having a strong post history, but you have to understand that we take a dim view of people profiteering out of the fact many staunch spurs fans struggle to get tickets to most home games.
I'm still slightly sceptical about your intentions I must admit and I still think you'll struggle on other forums even if you mention the back story. My best advice would be to ask your spurs supporting friend to see if he can shift them to other fans he may know, in person, at face value. Any online community in any interest group will always be sceptical of a first time poster trying to sell something.

Big Rich, I have three questions.

1. How do you feel now on re-reading your opening post? It just mentions an inflated price with no mention of charity whatsoever. Here is your wording:

2. Because of this, why go expect anyone to believe you?

3. Why did you register as 'Big Rich'?

1. I feel depressed that people always assume the worst in others. I researched the price and the one I quoted was in response to the question of how much I want for the tickets. Obviously I want as much as I can get, but I never said that I wouldn't accept less. A few people have said that my response to the question of how much I wanted for the tickets was curt, but so was the question.

2. Because my intentions were genuine and I had no idea that people would assume otherwise.

3. Because that's my nickname. I didn't chose it, it's just what my friends call me.

You obviously saw the price on the tickets? You were aware you were asking for an enormous mark-up. It is not hostile and aggressive to take the piss out of someone who comes here trying to exploit supporters for personal gain. And you clearly see that is how you came across.

I think you're the one who has handled this badly, not anyone who laughed at your ludicrous offer.

As I've said before, I was told to use a forum like this by a Spurs supporter, I tried to research the price, and it's not for personal gain. I don't mind people taking the piss, but being called a cunt is a little more than taking the piss in my opinion. I may have handled it badly, but that hardly justifies some of the responses.

I'm not, especially when we have been given the name of the charity in open forum and I know a number of senior consultants who will undoubtedly either be personally or professionally-acquainted with the folk in Bristol.

They don't say "Reptile wins, flawless victory" for nothing, you know.

reptile-fatality-head-chomp.gif

Hi Reptile. I'm happy to provide whatever assurances you think would be appropriate. My wife knows the doctor who organised the charity evening and I'm even fairly sure I could get something from the charity itself confirming the donation.

I probably came off as one of the most aggressive responders in this thread. I honestly thought this was either a scam, or a troller, or both. It's not the first time that kind of thing has happened on this forum, although it is the first time its happened on this new forum. I'm afraid that my love for the new forum was hurt when I saw what looked like it was being sullied. Your posts were short and curt to begin with, and that's troll M.O.

I humbly apologise for the agressive syntax which I used, but not the semantics, and respectfully suggest that, if you are looking to maximise your return for charity, you try selling the tickets on a Chelsea forum, as those cunty chavs are loaded and have a chairman that shits money.

Although you might still get lucky here. I know that, were I paying tax in the highest bracket with a smile, I might have already sent you a PM. Good luck.

I have no idea what a troll is, but it's clearly not good, and I apologise if I came accross like that. As for my posts being short and curt, I just thought that's the way these things work. If someone had sent a message saying 'hi there, I was wondering why you are selling the tickets and how much you're asking for' then I might have provided a more lengthy response, but since the questions was simply 'how much' I assumed that a similarly short response would be sufficient. If I come accross as naive that's because when it comes to forums like this I am.

As for selling the tickets on a Chelsea forum I presume you are joking since the tickets state 'home fans only' but if you are serious please let me know as I really do want to raise as much as I can - as you can tell I really don't know how the economics of football tickets work, so please don't send me more abuse ;-)

I'd guess he entered a raffle, from which the proceeds from the ticket sales went to charity. The prizes are the winners, and they can do with them what they wish. The OP seems to have decided he'd rather sell the tickets and take the cash rather than use them. Fair enough if he isn't a football fan, though I feel he should donate a percentage of the money to the charity himself.

All the money from the sale of these tickets will go to the charity. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my previous posts.

You won the tickets? So in fact, other than the money that you donated to charity (which I think is great, I myself do my bit for charity too (Archie Foundation if anyone here is feeling generous)), which you would have done anyway, you did not have to pay for these tickets and then you try to sell them for £200 each. A bit of research (checking the Spurs website to see the category of the game and what price these tickets go for/or usually the price is printed on the tickets) would have told you how much the tickets were, which would have been an acceptable price. You were trying to make an easy £350/400 here, that's not cool.

I'm not sorry for any of the replies you got on this thread, ignorance is not an acceptable excuse.

I tried to sell the tickets for what I thought they were worth based on conversations with a friend who is a Spurs fan and some searches on the internet. I was not trying to ‘make’ easy money, I was trying to raise money for a charity, and what’s not cool is people thinking they can throw abuse at a complete stranger just because he’s said something they don’t like.

‘Ignorance is not an excuse’ might work where the law is concerned, but I don’t see how it applies to the complicated ramifications of posting on a football fan forum.

Hi
Don't you all feel terrible now! A decent guy just trying to raise some dough for charity! ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he's logged on, seen the abuse he's got then said it was for charity to make us feel bad. Is there any actual evidence to support his claim? Not being a dick, I've only skim read so can't be sure... :)

Hi HarryHotspur. Let me know what evidence you think I should provide, and I'll see what I can do. The charity is the Cots for Tots charity in Brsitol (www.cotsfortots.org.uk and the event where I won the tickets is here: http://www.cotsfortots.org.uk/classical-concert-in-aid-of-cots-for-tots/
I'm sure I can get something from the charity to confirm that they are expecting to receive the money raised.

Back
Top Bottom