What would an FA Cup win mean for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A good slice of luck would be getting saints/Wigan in the semi. We can beat anyone in a one off game so i’d Rather get Chelsea/united in the final.

Course ideally Leicester beat Chelsea today then united in the semi
It wouldn't matter who we play we would be in a game and would need to dig deep whether Wigan,Southampton or who ever!

In the long run? Not much at all.

Winning the FA Cup won't keep players at the club. Not a single player is going to sit back after the FA Cup win and say to himself "Oh, I feel like staying here now because we won the FA Cup"

It's a great day out, a great occasion and a GREAT memory if we win it and it will stop people going on about needing trophies etc.

I do however feel like it COULD be a catalyst in helping us win things in future. To know what it feels like to win a trophy shrouded in history. To get a taste of that winning feeling, BEING champions of something.

Those FA cup wins really helped the scum keep hold of Alexis :pochrolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win the thing, but it's not got the prestige it used to, and winning it wont suddenly lead to use winning the league every couple years.
Horses for courses.

FAC: I feel its all about getting a winning mentality in a cup. We've lost a final and a semi and need to get that out of our system.
CL: The CL campaign was excellent this season and winning our group against all the odds, for me, took us to the next level against very good Europe sides.
PL: We are at a level were we can beat teams outside the top 6 and top 6 at home. We need to get them away results against top 6 to move us on for the title.

It would mean the media and shithoue pundits would have to find something else to chat shit about.

"Spurs need to win trophies to keep their players" would be a thing of the past just like the Wembley Hoodoo bollocks,

Oh - it would also be brilliant for us fans.

It's about European status. If you want the FA Cup at the expense of a top four finish then you can also say goodbye to the best players in our squad.
If we finish top four but fail in the cup, then we keep most of our players and probably improve the squad.

You know this, of course.

Ideally we win the cup and finish top four, but let's not pretend the FA Cup is important.

What you have basically just said is that the CL puts on us on a par with the likes of Real, Barca, Bayern etc. That we become an attractive option as those clubs when reality states otherwise. You only have to look at Liverpool who were unable to retain the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Suarez and Coutinho despite having CL football as testament to how false this belief is.

Where was the mass exodus when we previously failed to secure CL football? It didn’t happen and it won’t simply because there are only a handful of clubs that can sign our players and they will do so whether we are in the CL or not. Do you honestly think Real would be deterred by us being in the CL, it is pure fantasy to believe that. What this club needs more than anything is win something because it’s not a question of if this team will break up it is when.

As I said before the significance of the CL is being massively overstated. Qualification is simply not enough you have to actually be successful in this to generate revenue. We made £41 million last time, that doesn’t even afford Moussa Sissoko in today’s market ( fee and wages) so the notion that it will enable us to retain our best players is severely misguided.

I think that all of a sudden the need to win something rhetoric will have to change from the media.

I think that all of a sudden there will be less questioning of the manager and his process, and proof that it yields results.

We really do need to win some silverware, not to retain players, but to retain our position as one of England's bigger clubs. 1991 is too long ago, I'm getting old waiting for a proper win.

What you have basically just said is that the CL puts on us on a par with the likes of Real, Barca, Bayern etc. That we become an attractive option as those clubs when reality states otherwise. You only have to look at Liverpool who were unable to retain the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Suarez and Coutinho despite having CL football as testament to how false this belief is.

Where was the mass exodus when we previously failed to secure CL football? It didn’t happen and it won’t simply because there are only a handful of clubs that can sign our players and they will do so whether we are in the CL or not. Do you honestly think Real would be deterred by us being in the CL, it is pure fantasy to believe that. What this club needs more than anything is win something because it’s not a question of if this team will break up it is when.

As I said before the significance of the CL is being massively overstated. Qualification is simply not enough you have to actually be successful in this to generate revenue. We made £41 million last time, that doesn’t even afford Moussa Sissoko in today’s market ( fee and wages) so the notion that it will enable us to retain our best players is severely misguided.
No. Let's say we're competing with a club like Liverpool to sign a player from Ajax or Dortmund. Let's say Liverpool finished in the top four and we finished fifth but won the FA Cup. Where is the player likely to move to?

You are essentially arguing that champions league football is neither here nor there; that its impact on our finances and reputation is negligible. This is wrong. You keep mentioning £41m . I assume this is prize money. I'll also assume that you're ignoring any indirect revenue from participation in the world's most prestigious tournament.

If the Champions League is the waste of time you suggest it is, why do all the clubs in Europe want to win a place in it? Maybe they just like the music. It is nice music.

What would it mean?

Perhaps an end to the constant melting and carping about us not having silverware to show for our efforts

Wigan won the thing a few years ago which should put it into perspective

Yes it would be nice but certainly not at the expense of a top four finish which allows us to compete with the big boys and this season we did compete at the highest level and distinguished ourselves accordingly
Ask Juve, RM and Dortmund

But I want to win every game

What would it mean?

Perhaps an end to the constant melting and carping about us not having silverware to show for our efforts

Yes it would be nice but certainly not at the expense of a top four finish which allows us to compete with the big boys and this season we did compete at the highest level and distinguished ourselves accordingly
Ask Juve, RM and Dortmund

But I want to win every game
Spot on, Nutty

What would it mean...

It would mean we have finally put Chelsea to bed in the FA Cup....

Fucking Chelsea cunts 0-1 up and don’t ya know and I know? Chelsea v Spurs will be the draw and we will be the “away” team....Christ sooner the Russian is kicked out the better

Edit. 1-1 - it’s the hope that kills you

Last edited:

Leciester won the league a few seasons back that should put it into perspective right?

I love this Wigan devalued arguement, it’s almost as this never happened in the tournaments supposed glory days. It’s not as if we lost to Coventry in a final right?

No. Let's say we're competing with a club like Liverpool to sign a player from Ajax or Dortmund. Let's say Liverpool finished in the top four and we finished fifth but won the FA Cup. Where is the player likely to move to?

You are essentially arguing that champions league football is neither here nor there; that its impact on our finances and reputation is negligible. This is wrong. You keep mentioning £41m . I assume this is prize money. I'll also assume that you're ignoring any indirect revenue from participation in the world's most prestigious tournament.

If the Champions League is the waste of time you suggest it is, why do all the clubs in Europe want to win a place in it? Maybe they just like the music. It is nice music.

To the club that pays the most and the one that offers the best prospects over the duration of the contact period on offer. I very much doubt any player who commit themselves to a club and contract purely on the basis on one CL qualification, that would be folly.

And yes I am stating that it is here nor there, it’s significance has been massively overstated. Clubs favour this because they are now primarily commercial entities and will always prioritise revenue streams. And it’s not the world most prestigious tournament that is the PL which dominates globally.

To the club that pays the most and the one that offers the best prospects over the duration of the contact period on offer. I very much doubt any player who commit themselves to a club and contract purely on the basis on one CL qualification, that would be folly.

And yes I am stating that it is here nor there, it’s significance has been massively overstated. Clubs favour this because they are now primarily commercial entities and will always prioritise revenue streams. And it’s not the world most prestigious tournament that is the PL which dominates globally.
In your world, champions league qualification does not positively contribute to the prospects of the club that gains it.

Back
Top Bottom