What would an FA Cup win mean for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In your world, champions league qualification does not positively contribute to the prospects of the club that gains it.

Of course it contributes to the club, it adds to our revenue base. However it does none of the supposed benefits such as that it enables us to sign players that we previously couldn’t, that it enables us to retain our best and that it is the gateway to the elite. If you look at the financial structure of the game you would see this is absolute horseshit. The CL is greatest con of the modern game, it’s an illusion that has convinced millions of supporters that domestic cup trophies no longer matter, that 4th has value and meaning and that this tournament is the great leveller.

Leciester won the league a few seasons back that should put it into perspective right?

I love this Wigan devalued arguement, it’s almost as this never happened in the tournaments supposed glory days. It’s not as if we lost to Coventry in a final right?

You’re missing my point

I want to finish in the top four so we can compete with Europe’s finest

You won’t do that winning the FA cup as nice as that would be

Pretty much.

Pogba going to Man Utd despite them offering zero Champions League football pretty much confirms this.

One player doing that doesn’t confirm anything

Hasn’t exactly been pulling up trees has he

Call me old fashioned, but I would love to win it.

I would like for us to win it but not at the expense of top four

The FA Cup, to me , isn’t the same nowadays and was totally devalued when ManUre preferred to compete in a meaningless competition in South America, sadly

To the club that pays the most and the one that offers the best prospects over the duration of the contact period on offer. I very much doubt any player who commit themselves to a club and contract purely on the basis on one CL qualification, that would be folly.

And yes I am stating that it is here nor there, it’s significance has been massively overstated. Clubs favour this because they are now primarily commercial entities and will always prioritise revenue streams. And it’s not the world most prestigious tournament that is the PL which dominates globally.

Are you saying that a player would rather join a club that has just won the FA Cup and not qualified for CL just because they offer more money?

Really?

It’s always been about the money, the whole ‘players want to play for a champions league’ is media bullocks.
That only really applies to those peak players who already earn the billions.

Any player on 30k a week elsewhere will not give a shit if he signs for a non-CL club if they pay him 150k a week.

All you have to do is remember Stevie and Mabbsy's faces when they picked up the trophy - pure joy. Yes, I understand the importance of top four in the modern game, but I would love it if we can do both.

Pretty much.

Pogba going to Man Utd despite them offering zero Champions League football pretty much confirms this.
Had Ashley broke the bank and brought Pogba to Newcastle United then you would have a point, but Man U’s draw is to do with their European heritage and not just the money they can offer.

The players say they think they can win trophies with Spurs. What would Lloris think IF say he was not picked for the final and did not get a medal? It matters and would be a great send off to our temporary home. Best team for all FACup matches now including Lloris. It may piss off Vorm but that is better than pissing off Lloris.

....Not to mention further crank the salt factor for the hoards of Mancs currently whinging about home advantage. :allitongue:

Are you saying that a player would rather join a club that has just won the FA Cup and not qualified for CL just because they offer more money?

Really?

Yes because it is all about the contract on offer.

We have had the likes of Lloris, Eriksen , Vertonghen and Holtby to name a few leave clubs in the CL (ones that had consistently qualified in the case of Lyon and Ajax) to join one that had not. Why is that? How where United able to sign the likes of Falcao, Di Maria and Pogba from CL clubs without CL football? It is primarily about the wages on offer largely because this is a proffesion to them. I’m stunned how people cannot see this.

It’s always been about the money, the whole ‘players want to play for a champions league’ is media bullocks.
That only really applies to those peak players who already earn the billions.

Any player on 30k a week elsewhere will not give a shit if he signs for a non-CL club if they pay him 150k a week.

Someone is awake.

You’re missing my point

I want to finish in the top four so we can compete with Europe’s finest

You won’t do that winning the FA cup as nice as that would be

And you are missing the whole point of the CL. We are not there to compete with Europe’s best, we are there to make up the numbers. All they care about is placating the elite clubs and the whole tournament is geared for this via its seeding system to ensure that. The fact that they were even talking about wild card entry for teams of historic value (i.e Manchester United when they failed to qualify) tells you all you need to know about what this.

And you are missing the whole point of the CL. We are not there to compete with Europe’s best, we are there to make up the numbers.
For the love of Spurs - what would it take for this shameless maggot to finally be squashed once and for all?

I've never been a big fan of the trophy vs top four debate. At the end of the day it's apples and oranges with the only commonality perhaps being what a person might define as a successful season.

The fact is that if you take the emotion out of it, the cold hard facts are that top four is far more important. It's important financially. It is more important for club profile. It is more important for recruitment. For all these reasons it is more important for long term progression, especially if top four qualification is a regular thing - plus statistics show that the majority of domestic trophies in the Premier League era have been won by sides who were also competing for top four at the time, so number of trophies is clearly linked to quality of squad, and your place in the league, more than some realise. Plus the "prize" of CL is the right to play the game's elite.

But the thing is that the game isn't just about these things. As others have said winning is a feeling superior to all others. I've only see us win two trophies but both were very special days for me. Hell I remember 2008 vividly. I don't think the Mrs ever got a rodgering like she did that night! That elation is simply irreplaceable. It also means that for that one year, you've beaten out all the rest and remained undefeated throughout the competition.

If I had to choose I'd take top four over the FA Cup at a push, and only because the more top four finishes we have the more likely we are to pick up an FA Cup sooner or later. But here's the thing, it's a pointless conundrum! We don't have to choose. Every year we compete for both! If we finish the season with a trophy it is a good season. If we finish with top four it is a good season (especially considering the days when we'd not even be in Europe). If we do both, which is more than possible, even better! I therefore never understood why fans debate and argue this as if it's one or the other.

What would it mean to win the FA Cup? It means joy and elation. It means memories. That means it would be a good season and a great triumph for us.

And you are missing the whole point of the CL. We are not there to compete with Europe’s best, we are there to make up the numbers. All they care about is placating the elite clubs and the whole tournament is geared for this via its seeding system to ensure that. The fact that they were even talking about wild card entry for teams of historic value (i.e Manchester United when they failed to qualify) tells you all you need to know about what this.
What do you mean "placating the elite clubs"?

At the end of the day there might be some truth in the idea that clubs who don't finish first are "making up the numbers" in the sense of needing to bulk out the competition and create the mini league/cup hybrid that is the CL. But we still get the same money. Clubs still have to play some of the best football in their respective leagues to stand a chance to play in the competition and, in principle, every club going into the competition has a chance to win it. Results like Chelsea and Liverpool's wins while sitting in 5th in the PL, Porto's win and clubs like Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen, Woolwich and Monaco competing in finals shows that it is possible for "lesser" teams to do well in the competition.

We are given a chance to compete. I don't buy the idea that we can't.

Back
Top Bottom