What would an FA Cup win mean for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok well done
Perhaps players who join us now buy into Poch which was what I meant
Clearly

A factor but one well below the contract on offer.

The point is that players have left clubs with consistent CL football for one that did not. And they did this because PL clubs offer the highest wages in the games which is ultimately what matters the most.

A factor but one well below the contract on offer.

The point is that players have left clubs with consistent CL football for one that did not. And they did this because PL clubs offer the highest wages in the games which is ultimately what matters the most.

West Ham pay higher wages than us. Dele joined us over Liverpool. Vertonghen joined us over Woolwich. Lloris, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Son, and Lucas Moura could easily have got higher wages elsewhere.

Money isn’t everything. Bit of a different situation, but Modric was wanted by Chelsea, who were offering much higher wages than we were. He was advised to join us over them because we were seen as a great ‘stepping stone’ at the time. In other words, he’d get more playing time and experience in a top league, and once proving himself he’d be able to move on to a giant. He could have just taken the big bucks from Chelsea and most likely sit on their bench for most of their season, but his people saw the bigger picture.

Top players are constantly trying to improve themselves, and that happens by working with people who can improve them. I wouldn’t underestimate the pull of a manager’s philosophy. It worked for Wenger in the past, but that time has passed. If you were a player looking to improve your game, would you go for the big bucks under that narcissistic wanker Mourinho, or opt for Pochettino with his proven record of developing players?

What would it mean to win the FA cup?

Forget what it means to us for a second, think what it means to the rest of the big teams around us. Think of the message it sends out. This Spurs team aren't so near and yet so far, no more bottling, no more "Spursy". We put the pressure on Arsehole FC and they are crumbling, lets put the pressure on the Chavs, Citee and Man Ure and see how they like a Spurs team that along with their great play are winners. I think an FA Cup win would just be the start.

I agree but I hope people don't think we'll be the talk of the town or have players knocking at our doors,if we do win it.
...and by the SAME token, we shouldn't expect there to be an exodus of players in we don't win it, simply because the media have 'decided' that we HAVE to win something to keep hold of our best players.

Players will still come if we don't win the Cup, same as players will leave even if we do.
The point is, it would be LOVELY to win it again, as it's been WAY too fucking long!
:gazza::ossie:

I would absolutely love to win it. I think we’ll give it everything. I think we deserve to win it. And I really feel like we will win it. And it’ll be a great achievement, the club will finally have a trophy again, and we’ll all get the excitement and joy of it for a while.

But what will it mean? Not much, honestly. Woolwich have won 3 of 4 and the wheels have been coming off more and more each season during that run. They’ve regressed substantially as a club in the last 4 years, to anyone’s eye. The whole “building a winning mentality” didn’t work very well for them did it? They still couldn’t hold on to their top players’ could they? Hasn’t led to them mounting a challenge on the league, has it?

It’ll be a big moment for the supporters and a well deserved reward for players and management. But win or lose it, won’t impact the club or it’s profile.

It would mean the media and shithoue pundits would have to find something else to chat shit about.

"Spurs need to win trophies to keep their players" would be a thing of the past just like the Wembley Hoodoo bollocks,

Oh - it would also be brilliant for us fans.
Sadly you know that old line will always be just like a certain poster here on a certain Argentine midfielder. We win the FA Cup and it’ll just be about how we haven’t won the league. Kick in and win the league and it’ll be about how we’ve a thin squad unable to compete on multiple fronts in a season. Do the double the following year and it’ll just be about how we can’t get to the deepest rounds of the CL. Come back and win the quadruple and it’ll be about how it’s nice that we’ve won trophies and all, but we’re going to lose every piece of the squad if we don’t start paying City/Madrid wages.

The press will hound us regardless. If we lose the cup this year we’ll be in danger of losing players because they want to win trophies. If we win it’ll just be about how our players earned attention from the “elite” clubs through their Cup win. Leicester (cunts) won the league, and the champagne hadn’t dried before every paper in London had broken up their entire playing squad.

I would absolutely love to win it. I think we’ll give it everything. I think we deserve to win it. And I really feel like we will win it. And it’ll be a great achievement, the club will finally have a trophy again, and we’ll all get the excitement and joy of it for a while.

But what will it mean? Not much, honestly. Woolwich have won 3 of 4 and the wheels have been coming off more and more each season during that run. They’ve regressed substantially as a club in the last 4 years, to anyone’s eye. The whole “building a winning mentality” didn’t work very well for them did it? They still couldn’t hold on to their top players’ could they? Hasn’t led to them mounting a challenge on the league, has it?

It’ll be a big moment for the supporters and a well deserved reward for players and management. But win or lose it, won’t impact the club or it’s profile.
Somewhat disagree. Woolwich are on their way down. We are currently (and hopefully this will continue) on our way up, winning a trophy would help that. Woolwich's demise is such that even an FA Cup or two could not stop it. Really it would have taken a new manager to change the course of that club, and only then if they are lucky in choosing the right person and with time.

Somewhat disagree. Woolwich are on their way down. We are currently (and hopefully this will continue) on our way up, winning a trophy would help that. Woolwich's demise is such that even an FA Cup or two could not stop it. Really it would have taken a new manager to change the course of that club, and only then if they are lucky in choosing the right person and with time.
I can't work some people out...
ArseAnal winning the FA Cup 3 times in what feels like the last 2 years merely papers over the cracks (of their demise) after over 2 decades of superiority over us...

Whereas us WINNING it would only start the ball rolling on decades of dominance over the rest of football.

Their last twitches of life merely signal the end of their cycle... we are only at the beginning!
There IS a difference!

I can't work some people out...
ArseAnal winning the FA Cup 3 times in what feels like the last 2 years merely papers over the cracks (of their demise) after over 2 decades of superiority over us...

Whereas us WINNING it would only start the ball rolling on decades of dominance over the rest of football.

Their last twitches of life merely signal the end of their cycle... we are only at the beginning!
There IS a difference!
Guess it sounds weird when you put it like that. And of course we don't know what will happen to us. It might all go to shit. But I'm pretty sure that unless Wenger is replaced or has a brain transplant, they won't be much cop.

I feel the FA Cup win would mean more to us than it did (recently) for them. And that it may help us go on to better things.

Also, if we do win the cup* let's not try and hold back on enjoying it purely to stop gooners having a go at us and calling us small-time...
One game at a time my friend...

*but yes, I agree, there are almost 27 years of pent up FA Cup celebrations just waiting to burst out of most of us (who are 28 or older!!!)

I think it would mean everything to be honest. It's a strange one because it would mean half as much without top 4, but it would be a massive leap.

It would matter a lot for us because of our dearth of pots in recent years, but no one else would give a fuck. It would be a family affair. Fun, but not important to anyone else.

Ive still got a bloody faded, yellowed '91 poster on a wall (I was there aged 11) that needs updating desperately. So it would mean everything to me to win it Lets get to the final for starters for Christs sake Spurs

This year winning the FA Cup would mean beating United and Chelsea (most likely) to claim it means little or nothing after beating those two would be really harsh, a major trophy after beating them two would be immense.

For a moment pause and consider how it might feel losing to Chelsea in a final after yesterday. And how good it would feel after yesterday. Often football throws up such drama. 28 years, finally win but could not beat them at Wembley, or finally beat them at Wembley.....I hate the football gods

Back
Top Bottom