What would an FA Cup win mean for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would like for us to win it but not at the expense of top four

The FA Cup, to me , isn’t the same nowadays and was totally devalued when ManUre preferred to compete in a meaningless competition in South America, sadly

Devalued for them.

I want us to win the Cup and get into the top 4 because that is likely to make us the number 2 club in the Premier this season.

But mostly I want the trophy so that we can move on as winners, move on as no longer losers and then not have to worry about this either or nonsense going forward.

That job got harder after yesterday's draw but if we maintain our form we will go into that game in just over a month's time ready to do battle.

And you are missing the whole point of the CL. We are not there to compete with Europe’s best, we are there to make up the numbers. All they care about is placating the elite clubs and the whole tournament is geared for this via its seeding system to ensure that. The fact that they were even talking about wild card entry for teams of historic value (i.e Manchester United when they failed to qualify) tells you all you need to know about what this.

“Not there to compete with Europe’s best”?

Follow another sport or at the least another club or at least go on another forum

:pochshock2:

Yes because it is all about the contract on offer.

We have had the likes of Lloris, Eriksen , Vertonghen and Holtby to name a few leave clubs in the CL (ones that had consistently qualified in the case of Lyon and Ajax) to join one that had not. Why is that? How where United able to sign the likes of Falcao, Di Maria and Pogba from CL clubs without CL football? It is primarily about the wages on offer largely because this is a proffesion to them. I’m stunned how people cannot see this.

Perhaps the aforementioned players bought into Poch

Devalued for them.

I want us to win the Cup and get into the top 4 because that is likely to make us the number 2 club in the Premier this season.

But mostly I want the trophy so that we can move on as winners, move on as no longer losers and then not have to worry about this either or nonsense going forward.

That job got harder after yesterday's draw but if we maintain our form we will go into that game in just over a month's time ready to do battle.

It devalued the whole competition

They should never have been allowed to compete in it again

It's about European status. If you want the FA Cup at the expense of a top four finish then you can also say goodbye to the best players in our squad.
If we finish top four but fail in the cup, then we keep most of our players and probably improve the squad.

You know this, of course.

Ideally we win the cup and finish top four, but let's not pretend the FA Cup is important.
My head says
I take you point about the top 4.In modern football it's the be all and end all it seems.
But..Maybe winning the FA Cup would show this team what its like to win something and give them a hunger for more.
Heart says
I still love this tournament and would love to win this.We need a trophy and this is the only one we have a chance of winning this season

“Not there to compete with Europe’s best”?

Follow another sport or at the least another club or at least go on another forum

:pochshock2:

Clearly I am talking about UEFA.

They couldn’t care less about Tottenham Hotspur, they are only interested in the elite clubs whose supporter bases generate the advertising revenue and television deals. UEFA are terrified of a breakaway European Super League and are doing their level best to create that with the CL, hence the move to 4 teams as opposed to 1, hence the removal of 4 place qualifier for the major leagues and is why we will have CL wild cards in the near future. This format is entirely there to benefit the elite clubs, that is why the seeding system exists. Part of the CL revenue is determined by results and therefore the seeding system will always enable the wealthiest to generate more than the rest. It’s funny how so many supporters see a tournament designed to generate addtional revenue for the elite as the solution to their problem of being unable to compete with them.

Last edited:
And you are missing the whole point of the CL. We are not there to compete with Europe’s best, we are there to make up the numbers. All they care about is placating the elite clubs and the whole tournament is geared for this via its seeding system to ensure that. The fact that they were even talking about wild card entry for teams of historic value (i.e Manchester United when they failed to qualify) tells you all you need to know about what this.
From the beginning CL was set up to create a Euro elite league which I believe will happen. Football moves on, we need to be in it and competing with the best, not just making up the numbers. Money is key, whichever way you look at it. We as a club are going in the right direction to compete in the new era of football, we are THFC .

From the beginning CL was set up to create a Euro elite league which I believe will happen. Football moves on, we need to be in it and competing with the best, not just making up the numbers. Money is key, whichever way you look at it. We as a club are going in the right direction to compete in the new era of football, we are THFC .

I think it will happen but it will come about due to the PL and it won’t include any English sides. The European sides can’t allow this level of growth to continue and do nothing and the English clubs would be insane to leave a brand as dominant as the PL for a start up league. We will have two leagues in time.

Losing isn't the end of the world, but we're in the semis, let's win the fucking thing.

Not to mention "not winning" it would mean losing to united or (most likely) the chavs. Screw that.

Of course in the long scheme of things top 4 is probably more important than winning the FA Cup. We can recruit more players, etc...
I’ll be honest with you though, my reaction to clinching top 4 will be joy and happiness but if and when we win the FA Cup, I’m probably gonna start crying like a little girl.

Winning the cup is an end in itself, not just a means to an end. If you're a supporter you feel it in your bones why it's important, it can't really be put into words. The game is about winning things therefore it matters. We've had lots of seasons when we've improved and done really well, but a cup is something to show for all the efforts we (both players, coaches and Poch, and us the fans) have put in.

We all know that good spells in football don't last forever, and at one point Poch will leave, probably most of the current players will leave too. It would be a terrible shame if this era of our club ended without us winning a trophy.

Top four is more about the future. It's about building or consolidating. A cup is something to celebrate for now. Imagine if Poch left in 2021. Would you rather say "well at least we had that fourth qualification for the Champions League which we enjoyed but didn't go on to win in the 2018/19 season" or would you rather say "well at least we had that day at Wembley when we won the cup, and that day when it was paraded down Tottenham High Road". I know which one I'd prefer.

Call me old fashioned (and I am) but for me, and a GOOD many number of CORE TOTTENHAM SUPPORTERS ... The FA Cup STILL means everything!
(Yeah, you heard me right kids... it... means... EVER-RY-THING!!)
Imagine that?

Ask Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor ... he'll back me up!

I believe Chas'n'Dave put it best in 1987:

"THE CUP THAT EVERY CLUB PLAYS FOOTBALL FOR..."

Call me old fashioned (and I am) but for me, and a GOOD many number of CORE TOTTENHAM SUPPORTERS ... The FA Cup STILL means everything!
Imagine that?

I would absolutely love to win it mate. And we will.

Imagine that?

thats just nice and honest fan sentiment...fair play

Fcuk sake.

We are a big club on the cusp of being bigger.

Win or lose our semi-final and subsequent final if we make it we are getting closer but it will be made easier if we build in terms i
of trophies this season.

We don't and should not be talking as though we would have to sacrifice a top 4 slot (which we could all but secure in a week Saturday) to win the FA Cup.

If Pochettino stays (not guaranteed) as well as our key players then an FA Cup victory would give him even more than he could imagine and make us even more attractive to players who don't just see pound signs as the incentive to sign.

We have once again secured a big chance to win the great trophy. It won't be easy but this season we have gone up a level in terms of game management and would or should have learned even more from the Juventus defeat.

It would mean everything and more. Like mustard and onions on a nicely grilled burger or whatever your particular fancy.

Back
Top Bottom