January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Aurier seems the social sort so I don't think he would be lonely. And getting Lucas in as you said would soften the blow.

He's had long enough to gel with the team. They seems to all be close and not off in little gangs, just some friendships are stronger than others. As a professional he must be used to moving and making new friends – part of the job.

Is this lazy journalism again? Or is it part of the strategy of getting him game time? His value plummets all the time he doesn't play.

Personally would like to see him gone and another player come in but that's just me.

No offence Sissoko, you work hard and keep your nose out of social media and look to try your best.

Why is everyone trying to get rid of Sissoko? He provides solid depth, his athleticism and power are useful in some matches and even if we add another MF - it's nice to have actual players on the bench.

He's not a superstar, but he's a useful piece and there's no reason to throw useful pieces away.

Why is everyone trying to get rid of Sissoko? He provides solid depth, his athleticism and power are useful in some matches and even if we add another MF - it's nice to have actual players on the bench.

He's not a superstar, but he's a useful piece and there's no reason to throw useful pieces away.
I'm with you. I like Sissoko. I always appreciate workrate and he seems the good sort. Personally my discussions was just in the hypothetical scenario where he is sold rather than a wish to actually see him sold

I back the guy, and think he's been ok this season, however I think there are more useful pieces around and he'd free up a lot of wage/cash.
I

I'm with you. I like Sissoko. I always appreciate workrate and he seems the good sort. Personally my discussions was just in the hypothetical scenario where he is sold rather than a wish to actually see him sold
Are you saying that workrate > control, decent first touch, ability to play a simple pass, ability to play a long pass, ability to play a vital scoring pass, ability to shoot, ability to score?

I've been patient with Sissoko but I pretty much groan every time I see him on the team sheet. He's not dreadful but we can do better.

Are you saying that workrate > control, decent first touch, ability to play a simple pass, ability to play a long pass, ability to play a vital scoring pass, ability to shoot, ability to score?

I've been patient with Sissoko but I pretty much groan every time I see him on the team sheet. He's not dreadful but we can do better.
All those qualities you mentioned are important. But for me workrate and trying is always going to win me over. I'd rather take a player that tries his hardest every game and works his ass off then some über talented wunderkid with zero workrate. I never expect a perfect game from any player. But I expect them to give it their all to try.

Sissoko does that. Every single time he plays he tries. He grinds and grinds and grinds and tries until he gets it right. That is commendable and admirable. It is what made Harry Kane into the player he is today, as was it with Eriksen.

Are there better footballer players than Moussa Sissoko? Yes. Would I say no to getting one in? No. But I'm not going to sit around and bitch and moan and actively wish illwill on a player that gives his all for the club I love (which sadly, some do. Just look at twitter).

No player (aside from wheelchair) deserves to be a laughing stock. To become a pro athlete in any sport takes a mixture of raw talent, skill and hard work that most mortals don't have.

Workrate is by far the biggest factor in someone becoming a pro football player on a high level. Look at how many young starlets that have been hyped up over the years that end up going nowhere because they don't have the commitment and workrate

All those qualities you mentioned are important. But for me workrate and trying is always going to win me over. I'd rather take a player that tries his hardest every game and works his ass off then some über talented wunderkid with zero workrate. I never expect a perfect game from any player. But I expect them to give it their all to try.

Sissoko does that. Every single time he plays he tries. He grinds and grinds and grinds and tries until he gets it right. That is commendable and admirable. It is what made Harry Kane into the player he is today, as was it with Eriksen.

Are there better footballer players than Moussa Sissoko? Yes. Would I say no to getting one in? No. But I'm not going to sit around and bitch and moan and actively wish illwill on a player that gives his all for the club I love.

No player (aside from wheelchair) deserves to be a laughing stock. To become a pro athlete in any sport takes a mixture of raw talent, skill and hard work that most mortals don't have.

Workrate is by far the biggest factor in someone becoming a pro football player on a high level. Look at how many young starlets that have been hyped up over the years that end up going nowhere because they don't have the commitment and workrate

I hear what you're saying about workrate and I agree it's dead important but without a development of skill surely you get left behind eg Kane clearly has a good workrate and this is evidenced on pitch and in the training he has done to improve over the years BUT if his skill levels had not improved he wouldn't be in the team.
I also think there's examples of low workrate but high skill eg berbatov. This ratio looks awful when things don't go well but results in many good results when it does.

I just think Sissoko is losing people's patience...I know myself and others joke about his ten minutes against Everton but it was pretty poor against a battered team and he doesn't have great skill or a game mind.

I hear what you're saying about workrate and I agree it's dead important but without a development of skill surely you get left behind eg Kane clearly has a good workrate and this is evidenced on pitch and in the training he has done to improve over the years BUT if his skill levels had not improved he wouldn't be in the team.
I also think there's examples of low workrate but high skill eg berbatov. This ratio looks awful when things don't go well but results in many good results when it does.

I just think Sissoko is losing people's patience...I know myself and others joke about his ten minutes against Everton but it was pretty poor against a battered team and he doesn't have great skill or a game mind.
TBF I think his game mind might be his biggest asset. You always see him directing traffic when he is on the pitch. Pointing out passes and giving directions to others (Serge mainly, but also Winks and the defenders).

That might be one of his bigger sins, good understanding of the game but unable to consistently put it in practice. Consistency is his key issue for me. When he is good he is real good, but he doesn't consistently hit that level which is why he is a sub mainly for us. This season he has had a lot of game time because Eric has been forced to play defender, Wanyama has been out long term and Moussa and Winks have injuries that refuse to go away fully.

We could definitely upgrade on him if we wanted to. But he does a commendable job slotting in where needed

Ah, I didn't realize he was starting that much for them. For some reason I thought he was back up for them.

Would you rather see us splash cash on a winger/forward or a midfielder?
Personally would rather a central midfielder, but wouldn't mind if we wait til summer to sign one as I feel we need a real long term replacement for Moussa and that may be harder to find in the Jan window.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has confirmed that the club has placed a freeze on all transfer activity in the January window due to concerns that the collapse of Carillion plc (British multinational facilities management and construction services company headquartered in Wolverhampton, United Kingdom) could have a knock on effect that could impact or delay the construction of the new £750m state-of-the-art Northumberland Development stadium project. More to follow.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has confirmed that the club has placed a freeze on all transfer activity in the January window due to concerns that the collapse of Carillion plc (British multinational facilities management and construction services company headquartered in Wolverhampton, United Kingdom) could have a knock on effect that could impact or delay the construction of the new £750m state-of-the-art Northumberland Development stadium project. More to follow.
Actually wasted 5 minutes looking to verify this :levystare:

Back
Top Bottom