January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would I want to sell Eriksen if De Bruyne became available? No, I wouldn't. What is this idea you have in your head that if we were to buy a good player another one must leave and not someone like N'Koudou?

This idea that Malcom is being eyed to replace Lamela is nonsense as well considering Poch just last week said he's thinking of sending someone on loan to accommodate Lamela in the CL squad. Curiously ignored for some reason.

Son hadn't displaced him before his injury. Lamela has started 3 CL games before his injury. No one had displaced him.

How is Sessegnon, a guy who has started at left back for most of the season a danger to right inside forward, Erik Lamela? How is Ross Barkley, a central midfielder/attacking midfielder a danger to Erik Lamela?

Malcom is the only guy you mentioned who plays his position and until yesterday no one on this board had ever mentioned him? Now you know full well he's better than Lamela? Buying Malcom would deepen our squad, we don't need to then weaken it.

“Of course, we are thinking about that,” Pochettino confirmed when asked about this at his Thursday press conference. “I cannot lie. We are thinking about it. We will see what happens regarding ins or outs in January because we need to consider to provide one place to Erik.”

If N’Koudou, or another player, is removed from the European squad then he may also be loaned for the second half of the season. “We will see what happens because of course, when January arrives, different players have different ideas, different challenges,” Pochettino said.

“Yes, we are going to consider that [loaning a player out]. If we want to provide Erik a place in the Champions League squad, we need someone to go. But we will see what happens in the next few weeks because we have time until the end of January.”

Pochettino has confirmed Erik Lamela is going nowhere and it is N'Koudou who is looking to be replaced. Malcom is not being eyed to replace him. People need to start changing their narrative to reality. Poch rates Lamela.

Agree I don’t see it. Lamela is a creative number 10 like Eriksen, Malcolm is a winger or wide forward, they ain’t even the same type of player.

Only Nkouduo fits the bill in terms of type of player.

Amazing how people can read things into stuff:

“Of course, we are thinking about that,” Pochettino confirmed when asked about this at his Thursday press conference. “I cannot lie. We are thinking about it. We will see what happens regarding ins or outs in January because we need to consider to provide one place to Erik.” So he is only thinking or considering adding Lamela. And when Lamela is mentioned, his mind immediately goes to "ins and outs" in January.

If N’Koudou, or another player, is removed from the European squad then he may also be loaned for the second half of the season. “We will see what happens because of course, when January arrives, different players have different ideas, different challenges,” Pochettino said.

“Yes, we are going to consider that [loaning a player out]. If we want to provide Erik a place in the Champions League squad, we need someone to go. But we will see what happens in the next few weeks because we have time until the end of January.”

I read into that GKD will be replaced in the squad but not by Lamela. It will because a new signing.

And Son had definitely replaced Lamela in the league before his injury. There was heavy rotation in the CL games so that isn't a good guide
Before his injury Lamela had started 6 of 9 league games. As well as all the CL games.

Not Lamela?! He was answering a question about Lamela being included in the CL squad. Literally asked if Erik will be in it.

Here you are then, gentlemens bet. I bet you Erik Lamela will be included in the CL squad when it is resubmitted in January.

giphy.gif

Sessengon is a full back and if we sign him won't be used as an AM across the front line.
Poch stuck with Lamela through terrible form at first, and then a year long injury and he is back in the first team set up, featuring weekly.
He has surpassed Onomah, Nkoudou, Janssen and Llorente already in a few weeks of game time and you are dreaming g if you think Poch doesn't want him here.

The enfield zimmer frame relay team could surpass Jansen and llorente. Nothing to shout about.

Before his injury Lamela had started 6 of 9 league games. As well as all the CL games.

Not Lamela?! He was answering a question about Lamela being included in the CL squad. Literally asked if Erik will be in it.

Here you are then, gentlemens bet. I bet you Erik Lamela will be included in the CL squad when it is resubmitted in January.

giphy.gif

I'll take that bet. Let's make it a charity bet. £10 to a charity of your choosing. Mine will be the Cats Protection League. It's null and avoid if any major injuries to our attacking players happen, that aside, I say GKN will be replaced by a new signing, you say it will be Lamela, agreed?

If we'd have signed Berahino, Lamela would have gone to Marseille on loan with option to buy, and he's never given Lamela a contract personally, and he's also constantly bought potential replacements such as N'jie, Sissoko and GKN but none has really done the business, though Sissoko has started to become a useful player and he's in front of Lamela, and he won't take Llorente's place either. Saying he's ahead of Ononmah and GKN, who'll probably be shipped out as well, isn't saying much. We want competition for the likes of Dele, Son and Eriksen, which Lamela isn't able to provide.

Sessegnon does not pay full back for Fulham, he plays as a wide forward/midfielder. Seriously, if I gave you a straight choice of either Sessegnon or especially Malcom instead of Lamela, are you seriously saying you'd prefer Lamela? A player who's reached his ceiling and is injury prone, to two players with massive potential, with Malcom already outperforming him and Sessegnon with potential to in a short amount of time? And then there's the possibility of Barkley coming as well.

I dont get all this "if we had signed......"

If we signed Schniederlin we wouldnt have signed Wanyama, or if we had signed Llorente 4 years ago we'd have probably let Kane join Leyton Orient for 500,000 quid..........

Ive said hes ahead of those players to simply point out that in the three weeks he's been back, he's already proving to be more in Pochs plans than they have been in a far longer time.

Sessengon or Lamela? Lamela thanks, or preferably both. Sessengon or Nkoudou, Id take Sessengon purely on the basis that he wont be wasting a squad position and we will hopefully have someone we can use when needed.

Im tired of having players that are not used, its got nothing to do with me not liking Nkoudou, or Njie when he was here, or Onomha, or Llorente. Im just tired of struggling in games and bemoaning lack of depth when the manager point blank refuses to bring people onto the pitch.

So Lamela need not be shipped out anywhere, regardless of whether we sign Sessengon or Malcom whoever the fuck that is. The only reason I would want a signing, is to replace unused players.

That was my stance in the summer, and it hasnt changed. I rather recall Janssen and use him along with Llorente than sign someone else to not use.
Id rather keep Lamela, than replace him with Sessengon and then decide he's too young to risk away to Juve anyway.

Signings should compliment the squad, not water it down with one eye on next season, just like Barkley would be pointless seeing as he wont play until about mid March if at all. Just call back Onomah, and use him.

Too much fawning over pipe dreams, and then people have the nerve to talk about competition for places for players they have argued for 6 months cant be dropped!

I'll take that bet. Let's make it a charity bet. £10 to a charity of your choosing. Mine will be the Cats Protection League. It's null and avoid if any major injuries to our attacking players happen, that aside, I say GKN will be replaced by a new signing, you say it will be Lamela, agreed?
Cool. If both happen (Lamela and new signing in squad) we both donate?

Agree I don’t see it. Lamela is a creative number 10 like Eriksen, Malcolm is a winger or wide forward, they ain’t even the same type of player.

The vast majority of his games has been as a wide forward, Eriksen and Dele are our number 10s. People forget that because he spends so much time coming inside that he doesn't play the proper role of wide forward like Son does, i.e., sometimes cutting inside to shoot or pass, sometimes going outside to cross or draw contact and win a penalty. This goes to the very essence of why, I believe, Poch wants to replace him, he wants someone on the right to do what Son does on the left. As a number 10 there's too many players ahead of him. He'll never displace Eriksen or Dele and Dembele and Winks could also play that role as back up. What we lack is a pacey option on the right - we could have done with against City.

I think number 10 is a redundant concept now it's a least vague , Lamela is certainly not in the team to do the same job as Eriksen.

Lamela will be added to the CL squad.........

I think you've lost a tenner mate , we rarely sign anyone decent in Jan and Lamela is getting in purely because Nkoudont is shite rather than the ringing endorsement of Pochettino's faith in Lamela , is the CL squad submitted before the end of the window or after ?

Last edited:
After splashing cash on Davinson Sanchez (young with high potential who had big clubs after him), I'd be delighted if we go after Malcom and sign him for a high fee, as long as the club has identified him to make a similar impact like Sanchez.

Like sammy said before, there is no point signing someone like N'Koudou/N'Jie if they waste a squad space and we already know that bringing them on when we are chasing goals is pointless. We need someone who can make an impact and challenge the starting 11 from day 1. We are already a good squad, so if signing established superstars is not possible, the next best thing is signing really good youngsters for a lot of money if required.

I really like Lamela and want him to become a superstar like Kane for us so bad! When he signed, all my FIFA careers I chose him because in my eyes he was a superstar who we managed to get because we were lucky. There's the Argentinian nostalgia connection as well which gives him a soft spot and he's done some spectacular things for us like the Rabona.

But overall, if we rank our attacking players for the past 3 years, it's clear that Lamela comes after Dele, Eriksen and Sonny. And the obvious reason is that Lamela has not been consistent and has been injury prone pretty much throughout his stay.

So I have no idea why certain people look at him like the second coming because even at his best, I don't think he was better than Dele, Eriksen and Sonny at their best.

It is wishful thinking that he finally reaches his potential and if he does, it is absolutely fantastic. But if 4 years have shown us anything, it is that he will manage a few decent games, pull off a spectacular one game and then get injured and disappear for a while. So I think we seriously need to get a player to challenge Lamela's position in the squad. Obviously GKN is so much worse than Lamela. So if we still hold on to Lamela, it doesn't matter. We need someone to challenge Dele/Eriksen/Sonny and in my eyes, unless Lamela pulls a miracle, it will not be him.

Back
Top Bottom