January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's always been the case with Lamela. He's like a little a bird with a broken wing that some people feel protective of. They'll abuse Eriksen, Dele, Sissoko etc when they don't have a great game, but they won't have a word said against him. Poch isn't so sentimental.
It's called supporting a Spurs player. You wouldn't have any idea about that. You spend your life criticising like all the melters. Horrible way to live.

You'll get disagrees for this but if a player like Malcolm is a priority then it obviously spells bad news for Lamela , I dont mind Lamela but he hasn't set the world alight in 4 and a half years and just doesn't influence games in the same way the 3 behind Kane do , I don't get why it's such a crime on here if you don't see Lamela as irreplaceable?
The common anti-Lamela claim isn't that he's replaceable but that he's shite, which to I and many others disagree.

I like Lamela a lot as a player (and I think that raw talent wise he's probably our second most gifted player), but if he'll like to move on this summer I think we should allow him.

But if a strange one, the Malcolm link.

He could be the next best thing, or he could be another flop. Would people be against getting Zaha instead? Knows the league and is capable of tearing a defence apart.

Can we not save the £31m and give it to the squad?? :levylol:

Some extra firepower wouldn´t hurt us, always nice to have a gamechanger or 2 on the bench. I´m hoping we get a speedy dribbler and hopefully someone who can fill in Dembélé´s shoes. Preferrably youngsters who wouldn´t mind the understudy role. Some Sessegnon or Malcom sounds great, Barkley at a bargain could wrap it up for me if he´s willing to play further from the goal.

He could be the next best thing, or he could be another flop. Would people be against getting Zaha instead? Knows the league and is capable of tearing a defence apart.

Zaha knows the league but hardly set it ablaze. Malcolm is young, he might be a flop but if he's mustard he'll be much better than Zaha. Now Considering transfer fee will be similar for both I think Malcolm edges it for me

Any player deemed a threat that spurs target will be snapped up by the Mancs, Chelsea or Liverpool! Zaha was a threat remember ? The Mancs stopped that by getting him for their bench. CP no threat can have him back!! Forget it ! Priority should be keeping what we have - especially Toby !

It's called supporting a Spurs player. You wouldn't have any idea about that. You spend your life criticising like all the melters. Horrible way to live.

So you support every Spurs player, don't think they should ever be criticised and don't think they should be sold? And if I search your posts I won't find any evidence of you doing just that about particular players, past and present? Or, like I'm doing, saying if a better option is available we should replace a particular player?

So you support every Spurs player, don't think they should ever be criticised and don't think they should be sold? And if I search your posts I won't find any evidence of you doing just that about particular players, past and present? Or, like I'm doing, saying if a better option is available we should replace a particular player?
That's one hell of a straw man.

There is sensible criticism and then there is what you do. You have a vendetta. So much so that you said Lamela would not be seen again for us, then that got blown out the water so it was then he won't be in the CL squad, which Poch has now said he wants Erik in. Now it's he'll be sold. When he doesn't it'll be some next bollocks. It's boring.

That's one hell of a straw man.

There is sensible criticism and then there is what you do. You have a vendetta. So much so that you said Lamela would not be seen again for us, then that got blown out the water so it was then he won't be in the CL squad, which Poch has now said he wants Erik in. Now it's he'll be sold. When he doesn't it'll be some next bollocks. It's boring.

I don't know everything what NW1 has said but it does seem fairly mild critism of Lamela draws a strong reaction and a sea of disagrees for some reason , Sissoko on the other hand is open season as was Son despite Son outperforming Lamela from early on.

I don't know everything what NW1 has said but it does seem fairly mild critism of Lamela draws a strong reaction and a sea of disagrees for some reason , Sissoko on the other hand is open season as was Son despite Son outperforming Lamela from early on.
Because he's been injured for 13 months. Hard to perform and impress the doubters when injured? Before that he was one of our better performers and without doubt one of our hardest workers. Son I don't get the criticism either, he's excellent. Sissoko is a tryer too, just probably not CL quality.

Because he's been injured for 13 months. Hard to perform and impress the doubters when injured? Before that he was one of our better performers and without doubt one of our hardest workers. Son I don't get the criticism either, he's excellent. Sissoko is a tryer too, just probably not CL quality.

I don't rate Lamela as CL quality at all , I've nothing against him at all and think he's decent and is a player i like , I just think his ability is overstated and his end product should be a lot better , has days when he shows what he could be but it's never substained, ultimately he is a level below the 3 he's competing with for me and lacks the magic ingredient that makes each of those players so good , he's also not a great impact player or a game changer and doesn't really look like he will fulfill any significant role this season , for me he had one good season out of 4 that i appreciate isn't totally his fault he's been unlucky with injury but still hasn't done enough to convince me he isn't easily upgradeable , in my opinion he lacks the pace strength and acceleration to be a top player in the PL and his football brain isn't good enough to compensate, someone like that Malcom who looks to be athletic strong quick direct and can beat a man would give me more hope off of the bench than Lamela. This will get disagrees by the bucket load.

Last edited:

Injuries are something you factor in when evaluating a player. You can't, for example, discuss Sturridge without referencing his injury history. Lamela has had two long term injuries, neither of which happened on the pitch or training ground. The fact is he had one pretty good season (he was the 4th out of 4 best attacking players in 15/16 and imo Son had already displaced him in 16/17 by the time of his injury) and rest of this time has either been injured or not been very good at all. And do you not want to get back to challenging for the league title next season? Make sure of a top 4 finish this season and have good run in the CL? And there are better players than Lamela to help us achieve this, Malcom especially and also Sessegnon, and depending on Poch's thinking tactically, Barkley also. If De Bruyne suddenly declared a life long love of Spurs would you not want us to go for him and sell Eriksen?

We'll get whoever is cheapest. Likely to be Malcom (who has a higher ceiling)

Injuries are something you factor in when evaluating a player. You can't, for example, discuss Sturridge without referencing his injury history. Lamela has had two long term injuries, neither of which happened on the pitch or training ground. The fact is he had one pretty good season (he was the 4th out of 4 best attacking players in 15/16 and imo Son had already displaced him in 16/17 by the time of his injury) and rest of this time has either been injured or not been very good at all. And do you not want to get back to challenging for the league title next season? Make sure of a top 4 finish this season and have good run in the CL? And there are better players than Lamela to help us achieve this, Malcom especially and also Sessegnon, and depending on Poch's thinking tactically, Barkley also. If De Bruyne suddenly declared a life long love of Spurs would you not want us to go for him and sell Eriksen?
Would I want to sell Eriksen if De Bruyne became available? No, I wouldn't. What is this idea you have in your head that if we were to buy a good player another one must leave and not someone like N'Koudou?

This idea that Malcom is being eyed to replace Lamela is nonsense as well considering Poch just last week said he's thinking of sending someone on loan to accommodate Lamela in the CL squad. Curiously ignored for some reason.

Son hadn't displaced him before his injury. Lamela has started 3 CL games before his injury. No one had displaced him.

How is Sessegnon, a guy who has started at left back for most of the season a danger to right inside forward, Erik Lamela? How is Ross Barkley, a central midfielder/attacking midfielder a danger to Erik Lamela?

Malcom is the only guy you mentioned who plays his position and until yesterday no one on this board had ever mentioned him? Now you know full well he's better than Lamela? Buying Malcom would deepen our squad, we don't need to then weaken it.

“Of course, we are thinking about that,” Pochettino confirmed when asked about this at his Thursday press conference. “I cannot lie. We are thinking about it. We will see what happens regarding ins or outs in January because we need to consider to provide one place to Erik.”

If N’Koudou, or another player, is removed from the European squad then he may also be loaned for the second half of the season. “We will see what happens because of course, when January arrives, different players have different ideas, different challenges,” Pochettino said.

“Yes, we are going to consider that [loaning a player out]. If we want to provide Erik a place in the Champions League squad, we need someone to go. But we will see what happens in the next few weeks because we have time until the end of January.”

Pochettino has confirmed Erik Lamela is going nowhere and it is N'Koudou who is looking to be replaced. Malcom is not being eyed to replace him. People need to start changing their narrative to reality. Poch rates Lamela.

Would I want to sell Eriksen if De Bruyne became available? No, I wouldn't. What is this idea you have in your head that if we were to buy a good player another one must leave and not someone like N'Koudou?

This idea that Malcom is being eyed to replace Lamela is nonsense as well considering Poch just last week said he's thinking of sending someone on loan to accommodate Lamela in the CL squad. Curiously ignored for some reason.

Son hadn't displaced him before his injury. Lamela has started 3 CL games before his injury. No one had displaced him.

How is Sessegnon, a guy who has started at left back for most of the season a danger to right inside forward, Erik Lamela? How is Ross Barkley, a central midfielder/attacking midfielder a danger to Erik Lamela?

Malcom is the only guy you mentioned who plays his position and until yesterday no one on this board had ever mentioned him? Now you know full well he's better than Lamela? Buying Malcom would deepen our squad, we don't need to then weaken it.

“Of course, we are thinking about that,” Pochettino confirmed when asked about this at his Thursday press conference. “I cannot lie. We are thinking about it. We will see what happens regarding ins or outs in January because we need to consider to provide one place to Erik.”

If N’Koudou, or another player, is removed from the European squad then he may also be loaned for the second half of the season. “We will see what happens because of course, when January arrives, different players have different ideas, different challenges,” Pochettino said.

“Yes, we are going to consider that [loaning a player out]. If we want to provide Erik a place in the Champions League squad, we need someone to go. But we will see what happens in the next few weeks because we have time until the end of January.”

Pochettino has confirmed Erik Lamela is going nowhere and it is N'Koudou who is looking to be replaced. Malcom is not being eyed to replace him. People need to start changing their narrative to reality. Poch rates Lamela.

Amazing how people can read things into stuff:

“Of course, we are thinking about that,” Pochettino confirmed when asked about this at his Thursday press conference. “I cannot lie. We are thinking about it. We will see what happens regarding ins or outs in January because we need to consider to provide one place to Erik.” So he is only thinking or considering adding Lamela. And when Lamela is mentioned, his mind immediately goes to "ins and outs" in January.

I read into that GKD will be replaced in the squad but not by Lamela. It will because a new signing.

And Son had definitely replaced Lamela in the league before his injury. There was heavy rotation in the CL games so that isn't a good guide

Back
Top Bottom