January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im tired of having players that are not used, its got nothing to do with me not liking Nkoudou, or Njie when he was here, or Onomha, or Llorente. Im just tired of struggling in games and bemoaning lack of depth when the manager point blank refuses to bring people onto the pitch.
Surely then thats proof that most of these players are not Poch signings, but cheap punts forced upon him in the hope he can somehow get something out of them.
The only other explanation is that Poch is an extremely poor judge of talent, and I dont believe that to be the case.

Surely then thats proof that most of these players are not Poch signings, but cheap punts forced upon him in the hope he can somehow get something out of them.
The only other explanation is that Poch is an extremely poor judge of talent, and I dont believe that to be the case.

I don’t think it’s either

Possibly more like cheap punts in the hope we can find another Dele

But I agree with Sammy in that I like to see players getting used more especially when coming off the bench earlier when the games been won

Not really, Poch has a core group which he will rotate but outside of that group, players see little action.

"The truth is that Chelsea have been after me for a long time but at the end you know how this works. At the very last minute Pochettino called me and convinced me [to join Tottenham]. The Tottenham project is impressive."
Llorente

“I am happy with [Nkoudou] in the last few weeks,” said Pochettino. “He started to realised that he needed to improve in many things.
“He’s so young. I wanted to give him an opportunity before but maybe it was impossible. Maybe tomorrow he will have the possibility to play and to prove that he can help the team and start to grow up.
“When players are so young, always they need different timings and to realise how they need to work. I think he’s a great guy.
“There’s nothing to complain about with his behaviour and everything, because he’s a lovely kid. But in professional football… In the last few weeks he’s shown he should have the possibility to play and show his quality.”

Poch on Nkoudou, indicating that until recently he has simply shown an immaturity, not that he was signed above Pochs head

Janssen wasnt a cheap punt, he cost some 20M and was highly rated and Onomah was from the academy, so nothing to do with it.

People claimed Sissoko was a Levy signing, and the same was said about Son before he started firing.

Its like every "flop" is called a Levy signing, which is a tad silly if you ask me. Poch isnt a poor judge of player, but he's not God either, despite what some may believe.

I think number 10 is a redundant concept now it's a least vague , Lamela is certainly not in the team to do the same job as Eriksen.

Lamela is a creative passer like Eriksen, if Eriksen got injured Lamela would be expected to take his role. They are different as players but I see both as playmakers in our side where as Son I see more as a wide forward goal scorer.
Not really, Poch has a core group which he will rotate but outside of that group, players see little action.

"The truth is that Chelsea have been after me for a long time but at the end you know how this works. At the very last minute Pochettino called me and convinced me [to join Tottenham]. The Tottenham project is impressive."
Llorente

“I am happy with [Nkoudou] in the last few weeks,” said Pochettino. “He started to realised that he needed to improve in many things.
“He’s so young. I wanted to give him an opportunity before but maybe it was impossible. Maybe tomorrow he will have the possibility to play and to prove that he can help the team and start to grow up.
“When players are so young, always they need different timings and to realise how they need to work. I think he’s a great guy.
“There’s nothing to complain about with his behaviour and everything, because he’s a lovely kid. But in professional football… In the last few weeks he’s shown he should have the possibility to play and show his quality.”

Poch on Nkoudou, indicating that until recently he has simply shown an immaturity, not that he was signed above Pochs head

Janssen wasnt a cheap punt, he cost some 20M and was highly rated and Onomah was from the academy, so nothing to do with it.

People claimed Sissoko was a Levy signing, and the same was said about Son before he started firing.

Its like every "flop" is called a Levy signing, which is a tad silly if you ask me. Poch isnt a poor judge of player, but he's not God either, despite what some may believe.

I think the suspicion is that some our signings are quite far from first choice based on our budget and who is likely to come. I get Poch ain’t perfect but Sissoko looked a last second job, someone to fill a hole.

Lamela is a creative passer like Eriksen, if Eriksen got injured Lamela would be expected to take his role. They are different as players but I see both as playmakers in our side where as Son I see more as a wide forward goal scorer.

I think the suspicion is that some our signings are quite far from first choice based on our budget and who is likely to come. I get Poch ain’t perfect but Sissoko looked a last second job, someone to fill a hole.

I think it's worth noting the vast majority of Lamela Tottenham appearences were not at the expense of Eriksen.

I really like Lamela and want him to become a superstar like Kane for us so bad! When he signed, all my FIFA careers I chose him because in my eyes he was a superstar who we managed to get because we were lucky. There's the Argentinian nostalgia connection as well which gives him a soft spot and he's done some spectacular things for us like the Rabona.

But overall, if we rank our attacking players for the past 3 years, it's clear that Lamela comes after Dele, Eriksen and Sonny. And the obvious reason is that Lamela has not been consistent and has been injury prone pretty much throughout his stay.

So I have no idea why certain people look at him like the second coming because even at his best, I don't think he was better than Dele, Eriksen and Sonny at their best.

It is wishful thinking that he finally reaches his potential and if he does, it is absolutely fantastic. But if 4 years have shown us anything, it is that he will manage a few decent games, pull off a spectacular one game and then get injured and disappear for a while. So I think we seriously need to get a player to challenge Lamela's position in the squad. Obviously GKN is so much worse than Lamela. So if we still hold on to Lamela, it doesn't matter. We need someone to challenge Dele/Eriksen/Sonny and in my eyes, unless Lamela pulls a miracle, it will not be him.

Nail on the head firmly hit. The discussion around Lamela is split into two basic camps. Those he still believe in the notion of the player they thought we were signing - the heir to Messi, the kid who Barcelona wanted, the next big thing, and those who look beyond this and judge the player on his merits. He's got plus points. He a great character, a fighter, a strong mentality. If Chadli had his positive attributes he could have been a superstar, but he's weak mentally. And Lamela lacks Chadli's skill set.

There was an episode of Star Trek Voyager where Nelix and Tuvoc had a transporter accident and were merged into one character - Tuvix. What a player Chamela could have been if that could happen to them, but seperatley one ended up at West Brom and the other, I believe, will also make a downward move.

Well, that's bit stupid really because we didn't put in multiple bids in for Messi, have a public fall out with Barcelona's chairman and Messi didn't take to Twitter and say he'd never play for them again. Lamela was on his way to Marseille, that's a fact, but Poch pulled the plug because we didn't get Berahino. So he has never seen him as integral to his plans in the same way Kane, Dele and Eriksen are. The guy is absolutely available to buy this window if we can bring in a replacement, I absolutely assure you of this.

You cannot assure anybody that Lamela is available to buy, simply because you have a vendetta against him, you fat Woolwich loving piece of shit. You've been humiliated enough in this thread - it's time for you to find a new forum, bucko.

Piss off.

You cannot assure anybody that Lamela is available to buy, simply because you have a vendetta against him, you fat Woolwich loving piece of shit. You've been humiliated enough in this thread - it's time for you to find a new forum, bucko.

Piss off.

Perfect example of the irrationality surrounding Lamela. You wait sunshine, I'll be proven right. I'd make another bet but I think you're probably a welcher. Rude people generally are. Spursdem is polite and articulate so I know he's good for his word. He made his points, I made mine and you're just pointless.

Back
Top Bottom