January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's that explosiveness in his game that'll make him all the more susceptible to picking up injuries, too. I liken Bale's physique to that of Raphael Nadal. They almost seem to be 'straining' at times. Props to Ronaldo for keeping himself so fit with such a similar amount of bulk.

gareth-bale-jacked-legs.jpg

:lamelashock:

From a Spurs fandom standpoint, it makes me very happy to compare him with Harry Kane, whose playing style will (touch wood) lend itself to a long career that is not dependent on pace and with minimal injuries.

Let's hope Kane stays exactly how he is. No bulking up required he's perfect how he is for us

Not saying I am necessarily Pro Bale coming back, but would it be out of the question for Real to subsidize part of his wages for us? We couldn't afford Ade's wages, yet we got City to pay for it. I know City is a totally different animal than Real, but Real wants to get back on our good side with Dele, Kane, Eriksen, etc.

Not saying I am necessarily Pro Bale coming back, but would it be out of the question for Real to subsidize part of his wages for us? We couldn't afford Ade's wages, yet we got City to pay for it. I know City is a totally different animal than Real, but Real wants to get back on our good side with Dele, Kane, Eriksen, etc.
Hopefully Levy would see right through that and tell them to fuck off.

I think we only really need a young striker who can actually fill in for Kane rather than do a make do job. Then a CAM to provide competition for Eriksen and Dele.

The rest of our squad is superb.

I'm not sure if re-signing Bale sends the right signal. Seems to be the polar opposite of how we're operating now.

Serious question. How do you feel about the Sanchez signing?

Personally I feel proud they identified him, amazed how he is fitting in and blown away by his performances and potential.

Not Sissoko's fault but how do you feel about this signing? If he had been signed for £12m for an unknown league would we would be acting a different towards him and giving him more time.

I loved seeing Bale, still enjoy those old clips but not sure how fussed I am to see him back

If we feel the need to shop in the January window we should probably have a look at players from smaller countries who just secured world cup qualification. Countries like Denmark, Sweden, etc. They will have players looking to make a move in January to get eyes on themselves for the world cup.

For example I'd give Swedish winger/midfielder Ken Sema a look. Has a lot of attributes we are looking for. Speedy, technically sound, physically strong and with a good defensive mindset so he can do the job in defense as well. And he works on the European level since he has done very well with Östersund in the Europa League so far. He's also not too big a name, he'd accept earning his spot in the team (and him ending up on our pay roll would probably cement him in the national team no matter the play time. Just look at Lindelöf at United). He'd also probably be fairly cheap.

Just as an example.

If we feel the need to shop in the January window we should probably have a look at players from smaller countries who just secured world cup qualification. Countries like Denmark, Sweden, etc. They will have players looking to make a move in January to get eyes on themselves for the world cup.

For example I'd give Swedish winger/midfielder Ken Sema a look. Has a lot of attributes we are looking for. Speedy, technically sound, physically strong and with a good defensive mindset so he can do the job in defense as well. And he works on the European level since he has done very well with Östersund in the Europa League so far. He's also not too big a name, he'd accept earning his spot in the team (and him ending up on our pay roll would probably cement him in the national team no matter the play time. Just look at Lindelöf at United). He'd also probably be fairly cheap.

Just as an example.

Wouldn't mind Pione Sisto to be our Mane/Zaha type.

Are folk seriously discussing January transfers?
We know that we never bring in first-teamers in January.

If it's for summer - carry-on.

Barkley - wont improve squad - can fuck off.
Bale - broken - can fuck off
Zaha - wont improve team - may improve squad but can still fuck off.

Last edited:
Just because a player is injured alot at one club doesn't necessarily mean he will be injured alot at another. Pochettino mentions this in his book and would be in the back of his mind if a deal was ever to happen.

Bale has been injured a lot at 3 clubs though.

He was with us for 6 years. He only missed 24 games through injury within that time according to Google. Bare in mind Kane has missed 25 games for us through injury since he broke into the team..

Can't find anything on him being injured and missing games through injury whilst at Southampton.

Somethings gone wrong in Madrid. I don't know what their training methods are like or if he's putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on himself to try and be the absolute best and it's causing problems. He always had problems with his ankles with us, these are muscle injuries.

I see the re-signing Bale thing as similar to when we signed Davids.

The whole world knew his best days where past him but it was worth it for the bragging rights alone.

I can still remember the look on my gooner mates face when i told him we'd signed "Edgar Fucking Davids", especially since they'd just sold Vieira to Juve a few weeks before.

He was with us for 6 years. He only missed 24 games through injury within that time according to Google. Bare in mind Kane has missed 25 games for us through injury since he broke into the team..

Can't find anything on him being injured and missing games through injury whilst at Southampton.

Somethings gone wrong in Madrid. I don't know what their training methods are like or if he's putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on himself to try and be the absolute best and it's causing problems. He always had problems with his ankles with us, these are muscle injuries.

Whilst at Spurs he had knee problems, back problems, torn ankle ligaments, a hamstring injury and a foot injury. As well as many other niggles.

He had postural problems growing up at Southampton which caused him all sorts of trouble and produced knock on effects which were still evident at Spurs.

Obviously now it's only got worse at Real Madrid. He's a sicknote. You don't sign sicknotes for 80mil and 150k a week.

We need to move on from Gareth Bale. This coming from a guy who argued vehemently he's a Spurs legend and one of my all time favourite players. His injuries are only getting worse and there is nothing to indicate it'll get better, ever.

Whilst at Spurs he had knee problems, back problems, torn ankle ligaments, a hamstring injury and a foot injury. As well as many other niggles.

He had postural problems growing up at Southampton which caused him all sorts of trouble and produced knock on effects which were still evident at Spurs.

Obviously now it's only got worse at Real Madrid. He's a sicknote. You don't sign sicknotes for 80mil and 150k a week.

We need to move on from Gareth Bale. This coming from a guy who argued vehemently he's a Spurs legend and one of my all time favourite players. His injuries are only getting worse and there is nothing to indicate it'll get better, ever.

I'm not against Bale signing because it means Levy and Pochettino would have gone down every avenue to make sure it's possible, benefits us and they're confident that Pochs training and mindset would be beneficial to Bale himself.

Id rather spend the money quoted elsewhere but I'll support the decision of the club, which in all honesty is likely to be against signing Bale.

They say 'never go back' and I cant think of any any players that have ever done well when going back to a club, especially the club where they really made their name?
Ian Rush, did alright when he came back to scouse from Juventus, but was not the player he was before. Neither was Fowler.
Sheringham for us was old by the time he returned and whilst decent was nowhere near the player we sold to Utd.
Robbie Keane no, Defoe, maybe
Drogba for the cunts.

However it looks like Lamela will never return or be the same player and Bale is as good or better than him - there is obviously a significant financial difference in wages/fee but if they were more in line I might be open to Bale returning.

Back
Top Bottom