January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fact that we had 30m to spend on Lamela.... Maybe.

Eriksen... Nah. We were linked for some time and at that price he was affordable and always worth a punt.

Either way, i don't buy that as Bale's legacy..... Our finances are fluid, whilst players come and go all the time.

Was Modric's legacy Jan & Lloris?

Meh... Not for me.
More than that.
Dembele, Lloris and Vertonghen cost more or less what we got for Modric. Would we have signed the 3 of them without the fee we got for Luka? I doubt it.

More than that.
Dembele, Lloris and Vertonghen cost more or less what we got for Modric. Would we have signed the 3 of them without the fee we got for Luka? I doubt it.

Not for me to catagorically say you're wrong, but you seem to have missed my point about finances.

(...And the fact that we didn't get £40m+ for Modric. Nor did we get him for free. )

[edit]Also around that time a £30/£40m summer spend was rather typical, so such purchases were not out of our reach.

Not for me to catagorically say you're wrong, but you seem to have missed my point about finances.

(...And the fact that we didn't get £40m+ for Modric. Nor did we get him for free. )

[edit]Also around that time a £30/£40m summer spend was rather typical, so such purchases were not out of our reach.
Maybe it was €40 m at a time when the £ was worth more than the rouble. Leaving aside exactly what we got, I guess we agree that in both cases (Modric and Bale) we could only buy because we sold?
I would say both those players did things the right way ... compared to Berbatov for example, or even Keano to Liverpool.

Maybe it was €40 m at a time when the £ was worth more than the rouble. Leaving aside exactly what we got, I guess we agree that in both cases (Modric and Bale) we could only buy because we sold?

Nope... We dont agree.

Already explained why.

We made £19m profit on Modrich.... Please explain to me how that funds MD, JV & HL???

I would say both those players did things the right way ... compared to Berbatov for example, or even Keano to Liverpool.

As far as i was aware both Modric and Bale refused to play at one point, so i dont share this sentiment either

Nope... We dont agree.

Already explained why.

We made £19m profit on Modrich.... Please explain to me how that funds MD, JV & HL???

As far as i was aware both Modric and Bale refused to play at one point, so i dont share this sentiment either
I can't get very worked up about it to be honest, but I think the timing of the income would be a better way to measure than the profit off the deal. You can't trace it exactly though, I agree on that.
Once there was agreement he could go the next summer Modric worked his little socks off the season before he left.
The Bale deal was done in the summer, and he left in September. The most he could have played in theory was a couple of games, and they were hardly going to play him with the transfer agreed.
The season before he left he scored 21 league goals and had a clean sweep of the awards ... PFA player of the year and young player of the year, and Football Writers player of the year. He is the only UK player who has ever done that. He was definitely putting in a shift for us.

I don't think this is true.

Modric was reported to have refused to play when he initially tried to leave for Chavski the year before his actual exit.... He did eventually buckle down for his final season, but still.

Bale.... Bogus injury.... snapped poncing about in Spain... Promises made to other signings that he was staying....All the while he shoulda just kept a low profile and left Levy to do his thing. The whole thing stank and coulda cost us a big slice of his transfer fee...

I am aware theres a degree of trust in rumour/media here but seemingly none us are legit ITK and thus are all operating from a similar domain.

Last edited:
I can't get very worked up about it to be honest,...

Indeed, though not suggested you should. lol

You expressed your sentiment on a matter and ive questioned it.... Debate ensued.

...but I think the timing of the income would be a better way to measure than the profit off the deal. You can't trace it exactly though, I agree on that.

So the notion of 'legacy' you initially suggest in relation to CE & EL is merely based upon the timing of the deal?

So we made a loss on Paulinho but his legacy at Spurs regardless is the arrival of Toby and whoever else was signed that summer???

Meanwhile, transfer budgets, fluidity of funds (maturity and depreciation) and player costs (in & out) play no part in the equation?

No offence, but as a notion thats full of 'holes'.

Once there was agreement he could go the next summer Modric worked his little socks off the season before he left.
The Bale deal was done in the summer, and he left in September. The most he could have played in theory was a couple of games, and they were hardly going to play him with the transfer agreed.
The season before he left he scored 21 league goals and had a clean sweep of the awards ... PFA player of the year and young player of the year, and Football Writers player of the year. He is the only UK player who has ever done that. He was definitely putting in a shift for us.

Not once have i disputed their on pitch efforts.

I think we will sign nobody in January.
Not even Ross Barkley.
It could happen if all 3 of these are met
1) he is fit enough to play
2) we get him for £20m or less.
3) he still wants to leave.

I think we will sign nobody in January.
Not even Ross Barkley.
It could happen if all 3 of these are met
1) he is fit enough to play
2) we get him for £20m or less.
3) he still wants to leave.

I’m confused, we won’t sign anyone? However if there is deal to be done, we’ll sign someone, eg Barkley.

Barkley arriving adds another dimension from the midfield - it should be pursued for the minimal fee Everton can now command.

He’s got everything to be Dembele’s natural successor, proving he’s willing to give up on being a #10, and accept that his ceiling is a lot higher as a deeper player.

What everyone is forgetting is that Gibbon Head currently earns around £250,000 AFTER tax (Spanish player salaries are always expressed as net sums). People are, in all seriousness, expecting him to take around an 80% pay cut to return to a club he doesn't even support and hasn't expressed any great love for in his four years in Madrid.

Please, please stop.

I know we were linked when he was at Coventry, but we should be still looking at James Maddison. He’s having a top season for Norwich. Something like we did with Dele could work well, with loaning him back. May need to build his frame a little, but a very talented player.

I know we were linked when he was at Coventry, but we should be still looking at James Maddison. He’s having a top season for Norwich. Something like we did with Dele could work well, with loaning him back. May need to build his frame a little, but a very talented player.
Maddison should be playing in the Premier league. Surprised that he has never represented England at youth level. Despite his slight frame he can make space for himself when he's boxed in.

What everyone is forgetting is that Gibbon Head currently earns around £250,000 AFTER tax (Spanish player salaries are always expressed as net sums). People are, in all seriousness, expecting him to take around an 80% pay cut to return to a club he doesn't even support and hasn't expressed any great love for in his four years in Madrid.

Please, please stop.
I’m not on the Bale camp but he did several times rooted for us or commented positively on us. Not a supporter though that’s true.

Back
Top Bottom