January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because teenagers are well known to make sound decisions about their future rather than giving outsized importance to short-term financial gain....

Unfortunately the chavs will continue wasting talented youths for many years to come.

That’s the issue, the parents become greedy and think about the money. What is an 20 year old going to do with £20k a week? I’d rather see my son/daughter play weekly and given a chance to improve. It’s not just the managers fault though, the board don’t help with the pressure for results so high.
I mean, that's why I'm referring to the parents - by all accounts the support structure around Kane has helped keep him grounded and maintained his desire to improve.

Likewise, Dele almost certainly wouldn't be where he is now if his best friends' parents hadn't taken him in and raised him as their kid. Real shame when you think about the talent that might be slipping through the cracks.

I get the point about De Bruyne, Lukaku, etc being 'successes' of Chelsea but they were farmed by the loan system - and clearly Chelsea screwed the pooch in terms of placing a value on their potential (or, more damningly, they wanted to leave and gave Chelsea no choice but to sell. Perhaps Loftus-Cheek will follow suit.).

I get the point about De Bruyne, Lukaku, etc being 'successes' of Chelsea but they were farmed by the loan system
And in the mean time they got top wages while being nothing more than a prospect - they have loads of average players on loan earning more than they would otherwise and playing for comparable levels than they would at that age. I am guessing this is what they sell - I don't agree with it as the club / manager you are loaned to have less incentive to ensure your progress but it must be an appealing dream - on the up side you play for Chelsea on the downside you are no worse off but a couple of £M better off.

yup undoubtedly but there are still players under Poch which aren't reaching the dizzy heights we would like. He's a top coach but not a miracle worker.
Nobody mentioned miracles. I’m just sure that if Berahino played for us rather than Stoke, he’d be a better player than he is.

I suppose there’s always a GKN tomprove me wrong....

If offered a choice of both then Bale wins everytime for me. He’s capable of winning a match on his own, he has a winning mentality and has won everything in Spain. He’d come back as a hero.

Zaha is a good player, but I think he suits a Palace team where he is the main man. Son is a better Zaha in my eyes.

I agree that son is better but in more of an impact sub role or starts then gets subbed. I would see Zaha and Son as interchangeable and arguably we don't have a like for like for Son at the moment.

Just my two cents on Bale:

Some may still romanticise him returning, but it's something that lingers far more fondly in the mind if it never actually happens. We'd not be getting God-mode 12/13 Bale, he'd be injured constantly, and the wages he'd require could either be spent on our existing players or on far more promising young talent.

Oh, and no resale value. Never gonna happen.

I mean, that's why I'm referring to the parents - by all accounts the support structure around Kane has helped keep him grounded and maintained his desire to improve.

Likewise, Dele almost certainly wouldn't be where he is now if his best friends' parents hadn't taken him in and raised him as their kid. Real shame when you think about the talent that might be slipping through the cracks.

I get the point about De Bruyne, Lukaku, etc being 'successes' of Chelsea but they were farmed by the loan system - and clearly Chelsea screwed the pooch in terms of placing a value on their potential (or, more damningly, they wanted to leave and gave Chelsea no choice but to sell. Perhaps Loftus-Cheek will follow suit.).
True, suppose I just skimmed your post so apologies for that. Really is a shame, as I'm sure it leads to some lost talent as you say. The saddest thing to me is that, most likely, those who take the short term decision for less money are probably less likely to take care of that money as well. So it's a double whammy of a career possibly squandered before it begins and a windfall with it.

Realistically even at academy wages the money these kids make, if they're smart with it, should be able to put them on a path to comfort for life. Most certainly don't make a sum they can retire on, but it's almost certainly enough to pay for university, a home, and a nest egg if looked after properly - far better setup than your average 19 year old.

Some may still romanticise him returning, but it's something that lingers far more fondly in the mind if it never actually happens. We'd not be getting God-mode 12/13 Bale, he'd be injured constantly, and the wages he'd require could either be spent on our existing players or on far more promising young talent.

Ain't happening is it? If we can get Goretzka and Barkley on frees, keep tabs on a new CB in case Jan fizzles or Toby does one and look for a Kane backup as Llorente only offers so much in his older age I'd be delighted with our next two windows.

Ps yes I know, I mentioned Barkley again :s

Also, would love Breel Embolo. Much rather him than Zaha but fancy we'll get Wilfried

His frame can’t handle the amount of muscle he’s put on. He’s not a naturally big bloke and he needs to look hard at his personal training.
It's that explosiveness in his game that'll make him all the more susceptible to picking up injuries, too. I liken Bale's physique to that of Raphael Nadal. They almost seem to be 'straining' at times. Props to Ronaldo for keeping himself so fit with such a similar amount of bulk.

gareth-bale-jacked-legs.jpg

:lamelashock:

From a Spurs fandom standpoint, it makes me very happy to compare him with Harry Kane, whose playing style will (touch wood) lend itself to a long career that is not dependent on pace and with minimal injuries.

Sadly, agree.

It's that explosiveness in his game that'll make him all the more susceptible to picking up injuries, too. I liken Bale's physique to that of Raphael Nadal. They almost seem to be 'straining' at times. Props to Ronaldo for keeping himself so fit with such a similar amount of bulk.

gareth-bale-jacked-legs.jpg

:lamelashock:

From a Spurs fandom standpoint, it makes me very happy to compare him with Harry Kane, whose playing style will (touch wood) lend itself to a long career that is not dependent on pace and with minimal injuries.

The same happened in golf with Woods and then McIliroy. When they bulked up they became more injury prone.

Back
Top Bottom