January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FN6laN.jpg

tumblr_inline_nmkhhbS7XQ1t8n6hr_500.gif

If we feel the need to shop in the January window we should probably have a look at players from smaller countries who just secured world cup qualification. Countries like Denmark, Sweden, etc. They will have players looking to make a move in January to get eyes on themselves for the world cup.

For example I'd give Swedish winger/midfielder Ken Sema a look. Has a lot of attributes we are looking for. Speedy, technically sound, physically strong and with a good defensive mindset so he can do the job in defense as well. And he works on the European level since he has done very well with Östersund in the Europa League so far. He's also not too big a name, he'd accept earning his spot in the team (and him ending up on our pay roll would probably cement him in the national team no matter the play time. Just look at Lindelöf at United). He'd also probably be fairly cheap.

Just as an example.
Please, just must be having a laugh. From Ostersund to Spurs?

Let him first make it in Belgium or Holland.

The bloke is 24. Whats next? Kiesse Thelin, lol.

Please, just must be having a laugh. From Ostersund to Spurs?

Let him first make it in Belgium or Holland.

The bloke is 24. Whats next? Kiesse Thelin, lol.
Dude. I used him as an example. I by no means indicated that we should actually go for him. Nothing wrong with using a player to try and kickstart a discussion on the subject of player transfers.

Dude. I used him as an example. I by no means indicated that we should actually go for him. Nothing wrong with using a player to try and kickstart a discussion on the subject of player transfers.
ok, bad example imo. ;)

Maybe focus a bit more on proper talents. Tbh... Cant really think of too many in Sweden. Isak is in Dortmund and I cannot think of any others. Maybe Denmark has some more. Like Dolberg.

This is the level we should focus on.

They say 'never go back' and I cant think of any any players that have ever done well when going back to a club, especially the club where they really made their name?
Ian Rush, did alright when he came back to scouse from Juventus, but was not the player he was before. Neither was Fowler.
Sheringham for us was old by the time he returned and whilst decent was nowhere near the player we sold to Utd.
Robbie Keane no, Defoe, maybe
Drogba for the cunts.

However it looks like Lamela will never return or be the same player and Bale is as good or better than him - there is obviously a significant financial difference in wages/fee but if they were more in line I might be open to Bale returning.
Bale looked to bulk up fairly rapidly during his first 12 months or so at Madrid. Just wondering if they had a regime of steroid use to accelerate this muscle building process. That might explain the injuries if he has stopped taking the gear, just throwing this out there!

Bale isn't that big guys. He does have some good muscle (practical amount) but it's his leanness that makes him look bigger.

He's still a slim guy and not much bigger than when he left.

Who gives a fuck? He has calves made of straw these days.
After he came to the fore, he spent a considerable time injured for us too. And we missed him because we weren’t a particularly strong team without him.
These days we can lose Kane for 8 games, still put in the match winning shifts, & he still ends up top scorer at the end of the season. We are in a much better position now than we were then.

He’s not coming back to Spurs & I couldn’t care less. Let him keep United’s physio staff occupied. Or keep on fleecing Madrid for £350k a week

A great player, but very injury prone. We are doing things exactly the right way. Bale does not fit the model & couldn’t be relied upon to remain fit for more than a couple of months at a time.

His injury record & the way he left us for that lot says all you need to know about him.

I’d rather tie our own galacticos down to better, longer contracts than spunk the family silver on Gareth Bale.

After he came to the fore, he spent a considerable time injured for us too. And we missed him because we weren’t a particularly strong team without him.
These days we can lose Kane for 8 games, still put in the match winning shifts, & he still ends up top scorer at the end of the season. We are in a much better position now than we were then.

He’s not coming back to Spurs & I couldn’t care less. Let him keep United’s physio staff occupied. Or keep on fleecing Madrid for £350k a week

A great player, but very injury prone. We are doing things exactly the right way. Bale does not fit the model & couldn’t be relied upon to remain fit for more than a couple of months at a time.

His injury record & the way he left us for that lot says all you need to know about him.

I’d rather tie our own galacticos down to better, longer contracts than spunk the family silver on Gareth Bale.
What was wrong with the way he left us? He played straight with us, he said and did nothing until Levy had squeezed the biggest fee he could from Madrid. It's not his fault we flushed half of his fee on poor players. Apart from what he did for us on the pitch, Eriksen and Lamela are part of his legacy.

What was wrong with the way he left us? He played straight with us, he said and did nothing until Levy had squeezed the biggest fee he could from Madrid. It's not his fault we flushed half of his fee on poor players. Apart from what he did for us on the pitch, Eriksen and Lamela are part of his legacy.
We certainly came out of it stronger eventually.
But if you’re happy with how he left us, then you’re more compassionate than I am. His sore arse that was preventing him from training or fulfilling his pre season responsibilities cleared up quickly enough when he signed for them.

Am just glad the lead swinging cunt is their problem now.

We certainly came out of it stronger eventually.
But if you’re happy with how he left us, then you’re more compassionate than I am. His sore arse that was preventing him from training or fulfilling his pre season responsibilities cleared up quickly enough when he signed for them.

Am just glad the lead swinging cunt is their problem now.

I don't think anyone was happy about it.
That transfer window was torturous as we all knew he was going.

He still played it straight with the club though.

The fact that we had 30m to spend on Lamela.... Maybe.

Eriksen... Nah. We were linked for some time and at that price he was affordable and always worth a punt.

Either way, i don't buy that as Bale's legacy..... Our finances are fluid, whilst players come and go all the time.

Was Modric's legacy Jan & Lloris?

Meh... Not for me.

I am never one for taking players back,it never seems to works out as good as the first time.

Back
Top Bottom