Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dier is still learning.
He's good at sitting in front of the defence, clearing up, playing decent passes, A threat at set pieces both ways.
Yet he isn't a playmaker box to box. If that's what everyone is expecting, forget it.
Last night he was exposed as Chamberlain wasn't doing his job. Didn't know where to go.
He, Ox, wasn't going forward enough and wasn't defending properly either. Bad positioning, distribution and pressing.
I don't know why he singles out Dier becuase players like Ox, Stones, Rashford etc have also been talked up.
How he knows that Dier actually believes the hype I do not know. Did he ask him?
Cunt

Ps I don't care if Dier is not performing well at international level, or what Shaun 'the Sun hack' Custis thinks about him, as long as he's doing it for us.
Unlike Giroud, and maybe Sissoko, who do it the other way around.

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand is why they don't just PLAY to his strengths.

His best games at Spurs are either when he's part of a back three with wing backs or when he simply sits in front of the back four, drops back into a three when the opposition have the ball and moves into midfield when we have possession. It's like when they played Alli and Kane at the Euro's and played them too far apart.

Considering the lack of central midfielders in the England set up, I imagine the best option if playing Dier would be in front of the back four. He should NEVER venture forward unless it's for a set piece. Which means, you play two midfielders in front of him. Lallana and Alli preferably, who have ridiculous work rate and creativity in abundance.

England don't have a Wanyama and they don't have a Dembele so trying to have him replicate the role he plays for Spurs alongside them two, for England is NEVER going to work.

England's best hope is that Winks and Dier get game time together next season and turn out to be an excellent partnership.

There's a reason why many of these players we have either don't get in their national teams or play as well for their national teams.

Lloris: Captain and most capped GK ever for France.
Verts & Alder: Plays for Belgium.
Rose and Walker: First choice full backs for England.
Trippier: Backup for Walker for England, as he is for us.
Davies: Plays for Wales.
Dier: Plays for England.
Wanyama: Star player for Kenya.
Dembele: The only one you're right about. Underestimated player by every clueless Belgian coach, it seems.
Son: Star player for South Korea.
Alli: Plays for England.
Eriksen: Star player for Denmark.
Kane: Captain of England at the age of 23.

Dier is still learning.
He's good at sitting in front of the defence, clearing up, playing decent passes, A threat at set pieces both ways.
Yet he isn't a playmaker box to box. If that's what everyone is expecting, forget it.
Last night he was exposed as Chamberlain wasn't doing his job. Didn't know where to go.
He, Ox, wasn't going forward enough and wasn't defending properly either. Bad positioning, distribution and pressing.
I don't know why he singles out Dier becuase players like Ox, Stones, Rashford etc have also been talked up.
How he knows that Dier actually believes the hype I do not know. Did he ask him?
Cunt

Ps I don't care if Dier is not performing well at international level, or what Shaun 'the Sun hack' Custis thinks about him, as long as he's doing it for us.
Unlike Giroud, and maybe Sissoko, who do it the other way around.

Dier exposed due to not having Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele and Wanyama around him. Instead it's Ox, Stones and Cahill.

Lloris: Captain and most capped GK ever for France.
Verts & Alder: Plays for Belgium.
Rose and Walker: First choice full backs for England.
Trippier: Backup for Walker for England, as he is for us.
Davies: Plays for Wales.
Dier: Plays for England.
Wanyama: Star player for Kenya.
Dembele: The only one you're right about. Underestimated player by every clueless Belgian coach, it seems.
Son: Star player for South Korea.
Alli: Plays for England.
Eriksen: Star player for Denmark.
Kane: Captain of England at the age of 23.

Lloris was here long before Pochettino though and pretty established in the France set up, so not sure why he's being brought up.

Vertonghen the same as Lloris, in fact even though he has a strong partnership at club level with Alderweireld, they STILL rarely play with each other in a back two. Usually in a back three with Kompany or one of them is put out as a full back (Mostly Vertonghen)

Before Pochettino, Walker was shit. He could barely get in the England squad and Clyne and/or Johnson were picked over him CONSTANTLY - it's only since England started picking Walker as a flying wing back, same with Rose has he won people over. It took the Euro performance from him for people to start taking him seriously, even though he was good the season before. Trippier literally has ONE cap, once again, thanks to Pochettino and his system.

Dier, once again in the England team as a DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER, due to Pochettino and his system. Doesn't play anywhere near as good for England as he does for Tottenham.

Wanyama was a Kenyan international before Pochettino or himself even came to England, again, not sure why he's being brought up in the discussion.

Son, once again, was a star player for Korea before Pochettino even came to England.

Alli's performance for England are regularly lacklustre though. Very quiet most of the time and rarely impacts the game. France game aside (though besides the assists, was pretty quiet), very much suits the system at Spurs of high pressing and creating space. Something he's obviously told not to do for his country.

Eriksen, in the same boat for Son, Wanyama, Vertonghen, Lloris. Always been a star for Denmark before Pochettino came here, so wasn't picked specifically because of his time at Spurs. He could be on the bench for 38 games in a season and he'd still start and captain Denmark.

Kane, up until Scotland, was getting all sorts of abuse. "Not good enough on the international stage", "flopped at the Euros" etc. in fact it was the one thing haters could bring up since he proved he wasn't a one season wonder, a tap in merchant or just a stat padder. Once again, the system in England doesn't ALLOW him to flourish as much as it should, the attack should be BUILT around him and players should be picked with the aim to get the BEST out of Kane. It isn't.

Lloris was here long before Pochettino though and pretty established in the France set up, so not sure why he's being brought up.

Vertonghen the same as Lloris, in fact even though he has a strong partnership at club level with Alderweireld, they STILL rarely play with each other in a back two. Usually in a back three with Kompany or one of them is put out as a full back (Mostly Vertonghen)

Before Pochettino, Walker was shit. He could barely get in the England squad and Clyne and/or Johnson were picked over him CONSTANTLY - it's only since England started picking Walker as a flying wing back, same with Rose has he won people over. It took the Euro performance from him for people to start taking him seriously, even though he was good the season before. Trippier literally has ONE cap, once again, thanks to Pochettino and his system.

Dier, once again in the England team as a DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER, due to Pochettino and his system. Doesn't play anywhere near as good for England as he does for Tottenham.

Wanyama was a Kenyan international before Pochettino or himself even came to England, again, not sure why he's being brought up in the discussion.

Son, once again, was a star player for Korea before Pochettino even came to England.

Alli's performance for England are regularly lacklustre though. Very quiet most of the time and rarely impacts the game. France game aside (though besides the assists, was pretty quiet), very much suits the system at Spurs of high pressing and creating space. Something he's obviously told not to do for his country.

Eriksen, in the same boat for Son, Wanyama, Vertonghen, Lloris. Always been a star for Denmark before Pochettino came here, so wasn't picked specifically because of his time at Spurs. He could be on the bench for 38 games in a season and he'd still start and captain Denmark.

Kane, up until Scotland, was getting all sorts of abuse. "Not good enough on the international stage", "flopped at the Euros" etc. in fact it was the one thing haters could bring up since he proved he wasn't a one season wonder, a tap in merchant or just a stat padder. Once again, the system in England doesn't ALLOW him to flourish as much as it should, the attack should be BUILT around him and players should be picked with the aim to get the BEST out of Kane. It isn't.

I'm just answering the claim that many of our players are not selected for their national team, which is bullshit.

It's not uncommon for good players to suck for their nt. It doesn't necessarily mean they just look better than they really are in their clubs, but that the system or players surrounding them in the nt might not suit them.

England has struggled with composing a decent midfield for a long time, despite having Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick and Scholes all being great players.

I'm just answering the claim that many of our players are not selected for their national team, which is bullshit.

It's not uncommon for good players to suck for their nt. It doesn't necessarily mean they just look better than they really are in their clubs, but that the system or players surrounding them in the nt might not suit them.

England has struggled with composing a decent midfield for a long time, despite having Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick and Scholes all being great players.

It's common that players look better for their club teams because they're within a system that allows them to flourish. The GREAT players can flourish in any system. Dier cannot play in a back two, but he's okay when in a back three or in midfield alongside Wanyama/Dembele because his weaknesses are hidden by better footballers.

For England? Nah. Stones and Cahill aren't good enough to hide his glaring weaknesses and being partnered by Livermore and Chamberlain highlight them even more. He was so slow on the ball it's ridiculous. I think I saw a comment that said he looked like Robert Huth in central midfield and that was spot on.

He's NEVER like that for Spurs? I wonder why.

It's common that players look better for their club teams because they're within a system that allows them to flourish. The GREAT players can flourish in any system. Dier cannot play in a back two, but he's okay when in a back three or in midfield alongside Wanyama/Dembele because his weaknesses are hidden by better footballers.

For England? Nah. Stones and Cahill aren't good enough to hide his glaring weaknesses and being partnered by Livermore and Chamberlain highlight them even more. He was so slow on the ball it's ridiculous. I think I saw a comment that said he looked like Robert Huth in central midfield and that was spot on.

He's NEVER like that for Spurs? I wonder why.

The likes of Ronaldo, Messi and Aguero have looked bad for their national teams for much of their careers. Modric was absolutely shit for Croatia when they lost to Norway. GREAT players doesn't always shine, and don't flurish in any system. Unless there are no and never were any GREAT players.

You're right that it clearly is important who they play alongside and what kind of football their teams play, but saying that Dier is bad because he struggles for the national team rather than as great as he looks for us is bullshit in my opinion.

The likes of Ronaldo, Messi and Aguero have looked bad for their national teams for much of their careers. Modric was absolutely shit for Croatia when they lost to Norway. GREAT players doesn't always shine, and don't flurish in any system. Unless there are no and never were any GREAT players.

You're right that it clearly is important who they play alongside and what kind of football their teams play, but saying that Dier is bad because he struggles for the national team rather than as great as he looks for us is bullshit in my opinion.

Ronaldo and Messi are also their countries top goalscorers. So you mention one game Modric has been poor in despite him being very good in most other games. World Cup where he bossed Spains World class midfield. Euro 2008 when we signed him and he was one of the best midfielders in the competition. Euro 2016 where he ran the show.

When did I say Dier is bad? Stop seeing what you don't want to see.

I'm happy for these cunts to talk down our players. Means they're less likely to be linked with moves elsewhere and they can carry on doing the business for us.

So because Dier thinks he's better than he is , he gets call ups from the England manager!?! Or is Eric just turning to to England camps because he just presumes that he's in the squad.

Majority of these hacks are stealing a living.

I'm happy for these cunts to talk down our players. Means they're less likely to be linked with moves elsewhere and they can carry on doing the business for us.

Having listened to Shaun Custis speak quite regularly I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't actually watch much football, and certainly doesn't watch many Spurs games.

These journo's are so obsessed with the England team, I'm not sure why. The France game was nothing more than an exhibition match, perfect for show pony's like Pogba, but of zero importance.

Having listened to Shaun Custis speak quite regularly I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't actually watch much football, and certainly doesn't watch many Spurs games.

These journo's are so obsessed with the England team, I'm not sure why. The France game was nothing more than an exhibition match, perfect for show pony's like Pogba, but of zero importance.

Can't stand either of the Custis brothers.

Back
Top Bottom