Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They clearly do or there would be any discussion on the matter.

They do but only in a negative way. I am Anglo Irish (plastic paddy,) and have always been struck by the toxicity of England coverage and "Support.". Even watching England down the pub used to have a wierd vibe that you just don't get in other countries. Sure England are a big football country but it is more than just performing below expectations. The fear of abuse and ridicule has infected the team. It seems many "Supports," will trade success for a chance to deride and mock players from teams they don't like rather than encourage the nation's team. I thibk it is such a shame as Englamd have some very players but have no where the depth in selection as many other countries. Germany, France and Spain have a great more players playing top flight football than England. France especially has benefited from theirr players playing in Europe's top leagues.

We do though have an exciting competitive domestic league perhaps this is the price.

They do but only in a negative way. I am Anglo Irish (plastic paddy,) and have always been struck by the toxicity of England coverage and "Support.". Even watching England down the pub used to have a wierd vibe that you just don't get in other countries. Sure England are a big football country but it is more than just performing below expectations. The fear of abuse and ridicule has infected the team. It seems many "Supports," will trade success for a chance to deride and mock players from teams they don't like rather than encourage the nation's team. I thibk it is such a shame as Englamd have some very players but have no where the depth in selection as many other countries. Germany, France and Spain have a great more players playing top flight football than England. France especially has benefited from theirr players playing in Europe's top leagues.

We do though have an exciting competitive domestic league perhaps this is the price.
I agree but the scrutiny is no more intense than say Italy, France. I don't know about Germany that much after competitive games but I do know that for friendlies though the press and supporters literally don't give a flying fuck about the performance and never call out their team after a loss, and they loose a lot of friendlies as they tryout stuff in preparation for the tournaments. Then you have the Argentine's, Brazilian and other South American countries that will send you death threats and may be even kidnap you or your family if you play shit.

I agree but the scrutiny is no more intense than say Italy, France. I don't know about Germany that much after competitive games but I do know that for friendlies though the press and supporters literally don't give a flying fuck about the performance and never call out their team after a loss, and they loose a lot of friendlies as they tryout stuff in preparation for the tournaments. Then you have the Argentine's, Brazilian and other South American countries that will send you death threats and may be even kidnap you or your family if you play shit.

Fair point, the media is the same everywhere and we all have plenty of idiots. Those counties also have a vastly superior pool of players playing in top leagues across the world or the ability to select a national team from one or two domestically dominant teams.

I just think that playing for England is by and large a thankless, joyless task that experienced professionals often become disillusioned with. There is an unreasonable expectation that England is due a messiah type player or mamager who transform a decent national side into serial tournament winners. The build 'em to knock 'em down nonesense is particularly galling.

I think of all the abuse Beckham got but he stuck at it whilst Scholes just quit, same with Shearer. I just think that these lads that do turn up do so knowing they are single mistake away from ridicule and derision.

It's like the opposite of the Shallow Hal thing.

I think people also misunderstand the concept of value versus asking price. You don't go up to someone and demand to buy something for what it is worth - they set the price, and you decide what to do from there. It's as logical as judging player value based on their spanish release clauses.

I think the Sky 4 are going to develop complexes because they can't bully clubs any more

There are already murmurings of the top 6 (us included) wanting a higher proportion of the TV money from the PL.

That imo isn't about having extra money, none of them make a profit anyway, it's about the other clubs having less money making it easier to monopolise good players.

Fair point, the media is the same everywhere and we all have plenty of idiots. Those counties also have a vastly superior pool of players playing in top leagues across the world or the ability to select a national team from one or two domestically dominant teams.

I just think that playing for England is by and large a thankless, joyless task that experienced professionals often become disillusioned with. There is an unreasonable expectation that England is due a messiah type player or mamager who transform a decent national side into serial tournament winners. The build 'em to knock 'em down nonesense is particularly galling.

I think of all the abuse Beckham got but he stuck at it whilst Scholes just quit, same with Shearer. I just think that these lads that do turn up do so knowing they are single mistake away from ridicule and derision.
Agree it's joyless. Think these lads, all of them to be fair, want to change this, there is a less defensive position after games with this group. Kane, Dier & Dele all critical of their collective performance in Euro's and Kane and Dier the same post match France. In years gone by it's met with a petulant Rooney swearing into a camera or refusing to talk post match, or there have been plenty of post match comments like "there were lots of positives" blah, blah etc...

I just feel a lot different about this group of players, there is a bit of honesty surrounding them. I have no lofty expectations for them other than I want to see them graft. I will not even expect to see them play in an attractive manner, like I expect/demand Spurs to play, because it's international footy, it is dull by that definition. But it would appear that most supporters expect to see them play a high tempo game in a universe where international footy is not high tempo. Our fundamental problem is how to play against a low block defence, that's it. That should be our sole focus, if we can unlock this then we make Quarter Finals, what happens beyond that we aren't really good enough.

Last edited:
There are already murmurings of the top 6 (us included) wanting a higher proportion of the TV money from the PL.

That imo isn't about having extra money, none of them make a profit anyway, it's about the other clubs having less money making it easier to monopolise good players.

That's the method in la Liga isn't it? I'm sure I've read that Barca/Real share the vast majority

Of course it's not about having more money, just last season the tv money fucking doubled or something insane.

Pretty sure they get approx 20x what the bottom clubs get.

In the PL the winner gets approx 1.5x what the bottom clubs get.

That's not so bad, if you generalise that more people are interested in seeing matches at the top versus shit teams like Sunderland

That's not so bad, if you generalise that more people are interested in seeing matches at the top versus shit teams like Sunderland

Surely the fairest way is to distribute a % of the total pot according to finishing position.

Got no love for Leicester, but despite their lowly profile, 'The Fairytale' was ratings (meanwhile Chavs scoop up a 'plum' share despite finishing mid table???)....

...Otherwise we're just strengthening the status quo = Supa-League here we come.

Surely the fairest way is to distribute a % of the total pot according to finishing position.

Got no love for Leicester, but despite their lowly profile, 'The Fairytale' was ratings (meanwhile Chavs scoop up a 'plum' share despite finishing mid table???)....

...Otherwise we're just strengthening the status quo = Supa-League here we come.

Distribution by position is only going to help the top stay top and the bottom, bottom, though. Sounds like it's reasonably even as-is

clubs always used to argue that being on tv affected attendances, so when live they should be compensated.
of course, most boast about constant sell outs, so it shouldnt make a difference

Distribution by position is only going to help the top stay top and the bottom, bottom, though. Sounds like it's reasonably even as-is

...Yet you advocate giving the big teams an even bigger slice based on stature?

If it's currently an even(-ish) spread then fine (I'd rather it stayed as is), but at least the alternative i suggest is performance related.

If it's currently an even(-ish) spread then fine (I'd rather it stayed as is), but at least the alternative i suggest is performance related.

Did I?

I'm starting to think that I've got a clone of me on ignore
:avbcringe:

nah. split each seasons money evenly amongst the teams in the league each season.lose the appearance money(or, due to akward timing of many live games, appearance money goes towards free fan travel). still have prize money, and money for grass roots (I would increase that. no parachute payments. take 50% of the current parachute payment money and split it evenly by division and team. leave the rest for grassroots. (for me, grass roots should mean kids football. if necessary, buy the playing fields councils are selling, free referres and such like. Buy up the Goals five aside stuff and rebrand as premier league. free coaching, with coaches employed by the prem. that kind of shit.

nah. split each seasons money evenly amongst the teams in the league each season.lose the appearance money(or, due to akward timing of many live games, appearance money goes towards free fan travel). still have prize money, and money for grass roots (I would increase that. no parachute payments. take 50% of the current parachute payment money and split it evenly by division and team. leave the rest for grassroots. (for me, grass roots should mean kids football. if necessary, buy the playing fields councils are selling, free referres and such like. Buy up the Goals five aside stuff and rebrand as premier league. free coaching, with coaches employed by the prem. that kind of shit.
Alternative Plan:

Give all the money to me.

Back
Top Bottom