Younès Kaboul

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AEL Limassol keeper Karim Fergouche suffered a horrible fractured nose in his side’s Europa League qualifier with Spurs, which the Londoners won 5-1 on aggregate.
To show there are no hard feelings and that it was a complete accident, good guy Younes Kaboul visited Fergouche in hospital and presented him with a signed Tottenham shirt.
thumb

Let us remember the good times:
- the goal against Villa
- the cross for Crouch's goal against City in 2010
- his goal against the scum

Weirdly I'm going to miss him, hopefully he goes on to good things.

Not wanting to disrupt the Jan - Daws combo, but if we progress with the Europa it would be could to have for rotation, also can do a job at right back.

Anyone know?
Hi FR, you know my views on this. I think a lot of the uninformed/Dawson dissers/ haters (mainly on other forums thankfully) will be getting a shock when OUR CAPTAIN Daws, the one so many have as a back up, leads the team out at Selhurst.

I predict now that Daws will play more more games for us than Kab this season.

Naturally I wish Kab well in his recovery, but putting a player in your 'first XI' who hasn't a competitive game for nearly a year - how does that work? For me, it doesn't.

Andre explained why Younes Kaboul was handed the captain's armband in Tbilisi.
"We made that decision because it was almost one year since he last started, Newcastle away," he said. "Younes has been through a difficult year and I spoke to Michael (Dawson) and I think it was a good reward for what he has been through to lead the team out."

(not sure why he kept on sprinting up the right wing when he didn't have the gas to get back though?)

Ahh that kind of action brings back memories of one of Ledder's optimistic counter attack runs :ledley:

He might have just been interval training, only newcastle - no need to take it seriously
:kaboullol:

Re watched the match, still don't think he was that bad. Nowhere near match sharp, needs ten or so games under his belt after not really playing for two years, training and matches are a completely different thing. Think the fact that we had to defend so many crosses was the main issue, but that's down to being one man short and Lamela having defensive responsibilities on the left after the red. He's obviously near full fitness but that match sharpness is still missing, it will come.

Sad to see so little support for Kab.

This. Finally getting a run of games together but everyone banging on about his injuries (past tense) when Vertonghen has been out more often in recent times and he has failed to nail down a defensive partner. Dier and Chiriches not showing more than him.

Defo MOTM for me today as well. The guy was immense. Threw himself at everything, was vocal, and showed some guts. So glad that he and Verts were at the back today, was having proper palpatations (and would have seriously questioned Poc's sanity) about possibility of Chiriches starting

His performance against Liverpool was honestly one of the worst I've ever seen in my life. He couldn't even play the ball. How the guy we saw today is the same one from the Liverpool game is astounding. Funny old game. Definitely MOTM today, long may it continue.

Younes Kaboul was just a teenager when he first remembers Mauricio Pochettino, his new manager at Tottenham.

The defender was a fresh-faced 15-year-old at Auxerre’s academy, working as a ball-boy as part of his duties in a league match against Paris Saint-Germain.

The game was at Auxerre’s Stade l’Abbe-Deschamps stadium on the banks of the Yonne River, in August 2001.

1412637659708_wps_36_12th_April_2002_French_Li.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino in his PSG days with Mikel Arteta (left), who now plies his trade with Spurs rivals Woolwich

1412637884454_wps_38_GERMANY_V_ARGENTINA_GERMA.jpg

Pochettino (centre) parts Argentina's Kily Gonzales (right) and German Jens Jeremies (left) in a 2002 friendly

There was a buzz in the air with Ronaldinho – this exotic star from Brazil who had just made a €5million move from Gremio – set to make his debut.

He did make an appearance from the bench for the final 30 minutes, but it was defender Pochettino’s rasping right-footed volley which remains most vivid in Kaboul’s memory.

‘I remember it like it was yesterday and now he is my manager,’ Kaboul explained.

Kaboul reminded his new boss of that moment he witnessed, stood just behind the goal, when he joined the club from Southampton this summer.

‘He remembered this goal,’ he said. ‘It was not long ago when you think about it and now he is my manager. I am very, very proud.’

1412637055811_wps_32_LONDON_ENGLAND_OCTOBER_05.jpg

Tottenham captain Younes Kaboul celebrates Christian Eriksen's goal at White Hart lane on Sunday

1412635995106_wps_27_Tottenham_Hotspur_s_Frenc.jpg

The defender made 52 appearances for Auxerre between 2004 and 2007 before his first move to Spurs

That conversation must have taken Pochettino back. But most of his recollections rarely involve goals.

Pochettino forged his career as a defender – playing in the centre and at right-back – at clubs in his native Argentina, Spain and France.

Internationally the pinnacle was playing in the 2002 World Cup, where he famously tripped Michael Owen to conceded a penalty which helped England progress, at their expense.

Although, like that occasion, his experiences were not all good, he has a great wealth of them to pass on to his Spurs defenders.

1412637257579_wps_34_SAPPORO_JUNE_7_Michael_Ow.jpg

Pochettino's trip on Michael Owen led to the penalty which helped England progress in the 2002 World Cup

1412637808379_wps_37_Football_International_Fr.jpg

The defender held no prisoners, as England's David Beckham finds out in this international against Argentina

1412637230515_wps_33_27_09_2014_London_England.jpg

After some strong defensive displays Tottenham now sit sixth in the Premier League table

Defensively the season started well, the side keeping three clean sheets in their opening four games, against West Ham, QPR and AEL Limassol in the Europa League.

That early form had started to wane, but a 1-1 draw away to rivals Woolwich and 1-0 win against Pochettino’s former club Southampton on Sunday were accompanied by solid defensive displays.

‘Mauricio was a top defender first of all,’ Kaboul, who Pochettino has picked as his club captain, added. ‘A very classy defender.

‘We learn a lot from him because he has got experience at this level and we try to put in the game everything he has taught us.

‘He is helping us to read the game, to read the game properly and to anticipate stuff. I think we have applied this already during the games.’

Hopefully he'll have the Ledley King "I've spent so much time watching from the stands I almost understand the game better" syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom