Would you change anything about how the forum is run?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree, it is an important topic that we should be able to discuss. However, over the past few days, there have been over 30 foul votes from the off topic section. There are a few people that should probably be sin binned, at the very least, if we go by the number of votes. The problem is that I know next to nothing about these topics. Should I be binning/banning people if I'm not really sure what they're getting banned for? Or do we just let the majority decide? I can usually look at votes and can confidentially decide if they're valid. With this, I'm looking at some votes and I have not got a clue.

On top of my limited knowledge around these subjects, I also have zero interest in moderating them. It's enough work having to deal with the issues between users over Spurs. Imagine me having to trawl through multiple foul votes for political issues. I am not the person to be chairing these debates and therefore, I don't feel, this is the site to be having them.

I may open them up again, but for now, I'm just tired of it.
You could make those foul votes public so that others could see if mobbing or brigading is going on. Just like in polls you can see who votes for what.

Also, threadmarks...

Hi Admin Admin
Any chance we could have the Israel thread back open. It's a major world event/catastrophe that affects many of us, directly or indirectly. It was a good place to discuss and for people of all perspectives to vent. I don't think we shouldn't stifle debate around this, this is what Israeli lobbyists have done successfully for a long time now, wherever possible.
There is no debate, it's just two sides of the same coin, with each side blaming the other.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

"Israel are the bad guys"

"No, Palestine are the bad guys"

"You're Islamaphobic"

"You're an anti-Semite "

Rinse and repeat

Its the most toxic thread on here.
Admin Admin has had to lock it twice and still everybody goes round in circles repeating the same poison at each other.

There is no debate, it's just two sides of the same coin, with each side blaming the other.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

"Israel are the bad guys"

"No, Palestine are the bad guys"

"You're Islamaphobic"

"You're an anti-Semite "

Rinse and repeat

Its the most toxic thread on here.
Admin Admin has had to lock it twice and still everybody goes round in circles repeating the same poison at each other.

Unlike other threads...

Unlike other threads...
The good old whataboutery defence.

The difference is that most people can accept differing opinions on other threads, or at least not get too emotional about it.
In the Israel thread, the emotions run too high, and as Admin Admin has stated previously, there's a disproportionate number of foul votes in there compared to other threads.

Your post on here highlights the heightened emotions on the matter;

You could have left it at this;
Hi Admin Admin
Any chance we could have the Israel thread back open. It's a major world event/catastrophe that affects many of us, directly or indirectly. It was a good place to discuss and for people of all perspectives to vent. I don't think we shouldn't stifle debate around this

Which would have been fine.

But you felt the need to add;
, this is what Israeli lobbyists have done successfully for a long time now, wherever possible.
A totally unnecessary remark, and something that could be construed by some as an inflammatory.
Tbf, there are others, from the other side of the fence, involved in the thread (I won't call it a debate) that post equally or worse inflammatory remarks.

Each side antagonise the other, and then blames the other for antagonising them.

Anyway, it's not my decision to make, and I've no intention of having a back and forth on the subject here.
You've stated your view, and I've stated mine.
It's all good and Admin Admin will do what he wants to do and doesn't need us badgering him to come down on one side or the other.

The difference is that most people can accept differing opinions on other threads, or at least not get too emotional about it.
In the Israel thread, the emotions run too high, and as Admin Admin has stated previously, there's a disproportionate number of foul votes in there compared to other threads.

A totally unnecessary remark, and something that could be construed by some as an inflammatory.
Tbf, there are others, from the other side of the fence, involved in the thread (I won't call it a debate) that post equally or worse inflammatory remarks.

Each side antagonise the other, and then blames the other for antagonising them.

Anyway, it's not my decision to make, and I've no intention of having a back and forth on the subject here.
It's all good and Admin Admin will do what he wants to do and doesn't need us badgering him to come down on one side or the other.

He just can’t help himself and isn’t alone especially on this subject

I think Admin Admin is quite right to lock it for good like the Toilet thread

No, it’s context. Debate is the whole reason for the existence of a forum. The Israel/Palestine debate is no different to any other major topical debates - U.K. politics, Brexit, etc etc strong differing opinions, less strong differing opinions, those that understand it’s not black white etc etc why is this any different?

I just don’t fear debate, on anything. I think it’s healthy. Why are you worried about discussing it?
And I do believe that Israel and its lobby work incredibly hard to stifle debate and label dissenting voices in an effort to shut down criticism. And it’s pretty well documented. There’s a whole section on it here

No, it’s context. Debate is the whole reason for the existence of a forum. The Israel/Palestine debate is no different to any other major topical debates - U.K. politics, Brexit, etc etc strong differing opinions, less strong differing opinions, those that understand it’s not black white etc etc why is this any different?
Because it's not debate , it's insults flying everywhere, and people, from both sides posting bollocks.
I just don’t fear debate, on anything. I think it’s healthy. Why are you worried about discussing it?
If that's what you take from my post, I can't help you.
I may as well ask you why do you have a desperate need to force your view on others.
You're not going to change anyone's mind, no more than they will change yours.
And I do believe that Israel and its lobby work incredibly hard to stifle debate and label dissenting voices in an effort to shut down criticism. And it’s pretty well documented. There’s a whole section on it here
And there's whole sections of both sides putting out propaganda to further their own ends
And once again your only interested in proving yourself right and only putting forward one point of view, and completely dismissing/disagreeing with the other side.

Monty Python got it right.

View: https://youtu.be/ohDB5gbtaEQ?si=5KqTFn6nYoMj0_07

I'm done with this now.

Open the thread up, but only do so by specifying that every single foul vote is counted for any post made in it. No matter the reason for the vote. Give posters a choice if they want to risk posting in it or not. Assuming people will if they are so passionate about the subject.

Open the thread up, but only do so by specifying that every single foul vote is counted for any post made in it. No matter the reason for the vote. Give posters a choice if they want to risk posting in it or not. Assuming people will if they are so passionate about the subject.
That's a fair enough idea.

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think Admin Admin wants that as it’s polarising the Forum

I’ve fallen out with a few posters that I normally get on with over this particular thread

So those posters who are determined to post in a thread like this should perhaps use another forum (SC have already banned it some time ago) or start up another Forum to suit themselves and they can then say whatever they like?

stevee stevee

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think Admin Admin wants that as it’s polarising the Forum

I’ve fallen out with a few posters that I normally get on with over this particular thread

So those posters who are determined to post in a thread like this should perhaps use another forum (SC have already banned it some time ago) or start up another Forum to suit themselves and they can then say whatever they like?

stevee stevee
Is there a single thread on this entire forum that isn’t polarizing?

I believe if we have an Off Topic section, it should have anything in it that’s legally allowed.

Posters don’t have to get involved if they don’t want to. But they should have the choice. And they should know the jeopardy of doing so.

That's a fair enough idea.
It's an idea, however this was posted by Admin Admin on Friday...

So fucking depressing man.

It's part of why I dislike this thread. I read the news when I want to. With this thread I get content continually shoved in my face with notifications going off about votes etc.

It's all just awful.

He's probably getting loads of notifications and doesn't want to have to read the post/thread, etc. It's a tricky one and if Admin wants to keep it locked, then so be it.

Is there a single thread on this entire forum that isn’t polarizing?

I believe if we have an Off Topic section, it should have anything in it that’s legally allowed.

Posters don’t have to get involved if they don’t want to. But they should have the choice. And they should know the jeopardy of doing so.

I can’t remember another thread other than the Toilet thread that’s been so polarising and I’m including the Harry Winks one (kidding)

And I do believe that Israel and its lobby work incredibly hard to stifle debate and label dissenting voices in an effort to shut down criticism
There’s absolutely no suggestion that anyone posting here is being paid by lobbyists.
The debate here isn’t being stifled by agents.

Admins shouldn’t have to put up with BS and I wouldn’t trust anyone here to moderate fairly.

It's an idea, however this was posted by Admin Admin on Friday...

So fucking depressing man.

It's part of why I dislike this thread. I read the news when I want to. With this thread I get content continually shoved in my face with notifications going off about votes etc.

It's all just awful.

He's probably getting loads of notifications and doesn't want to have to read the post/thread, etc. It's a tricky one and if Admin wants to keep it locked, then so be it.
So just don’t read it. A foul vote comes through, count it.

But yes, constant foul vote notifications would be a pain in the arse to start with until the bannings started.

As you said though, he is our master and I for one shall bow to him. Just a shame we have to have stuff like this for grown ups that can’t behave.

Because it's not debate , it's insults flying everywhere, and people, from both sides posting bollocks.

It is a debate. Same as any other topic that divides opinion.

If that's what you take from my post, I can't help you.
I may as well ask you why do you have a desperate need to force your view on others.
You're not going to change anyone's mind, no more than they will change yours.

And there's whole sections of both sides putting out propaganda to further their own ends

And once again your only interested in proving yourself right and only putting forward one point of view, and completely dismissing/disagreeing with the other side.

Monty Python got it right.

View: https://youtu.be/ohDB5gbtaEQ?si=5KqTFn6nYoMj0_07

I'm done with this now.

Best thing to do, if the thread gets reopened, is just stay out of it then and leave it to people who want to discuss the topic.

Back
Top Bottom