Would you change anything about how the forum is run?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry Admin Admin but have you got it right by locking the Israel thread? Sure, there was robust debate taking place, substantially by individuals from two polar opposite viewpoints, but I've seen far, far worse - and there has been a great deal of informed contribution too. It's a massively important, serious topic which imho should be allowed to run.
Is there any chance you could reconsider? Kind of like a TFCVAR review? Go and have another look at the screen? Give it one last chance?

I agree, it is an important topic that we should be able to discuss. However, over the past few days, there have been over 30 foul votes from the off topic section. There are a few people that should probably be sin binned, at the very least, if we go by the number of votes. The problem is that I know next to nothing about these topics. Should I be binning/banning people if I'm not really sure what they're getting banned for? Or do we just let the majority decide? I can usually look at votes and can confidentially decide if they're valid. With this, I'm looking at some votes and I have not got a clue.

On top of my limited knowledge around these subjects, I also have zero interest in moderating them. It's enough work having to deal with the issues between users over Spurs. Imagine me having to trawl through multiple foul votes for political issues. I am not the person to be chairing these debates and therefore, I don't feel, this is the site to be having them.

I may open them up again, but for now, I'm just tired of it.

I agree, it is an important topic that we should be able to discuss. However, over the past few days, there have been over 30 foul votes from the off topic section. There are a few people that should probably be sin binned, at the very least, if we go by the number of votes. The problem is that I know next to nothing about these topics. Should I be binning/banning people if I'm not really sure what they're getting banned for? Or do we just let the majority decide? I can usually look at votes and can confidentially decide if they've valid. With this, I'm looking at some votes and I have not got a clue.

On top of my limited knowledge around these subjects, I also have zero interest in moderating them. It's enough work having to deal with the issues between users over Spurs. Imagine me having to trawl through multiple foul votes for political issues. I am not the person to be chairing these debates and therefore, I don't feel, this is the site to be having them.

Shame, found the Ukraine one quite useful as a good collated source of info, I don't really follow what's going on with that anywhere else. Was that one really getting a lot of foul votes? Seemed to be sensible.

Israel one was just angry people that should just find somewhere else to burn their keyboard buttons.

I agree, it is an important topic that we should be able to discuss. However, over the past few days, there have been over 30 foul votes from the off topic section. There are a few people that should probably be sin binned, at the very least, if we go by the number of votes. The problem is that I know next to nothing about these topics. Should I be binning/banning people if I'm not really sure what they're getting banned for? Or do we just let the majority decide? I can usually look at votes and can confidentially decide if they've valid. With this, I'm looking at some votes and I have not got a clue.

Thanks for the reply. I hope we're all aware of the workload this kind of thread ('Israel') places upon you.
Make life easy for yourself by just giving yellows to anyone who gets 'x' number of foul votes? I can suggest this with a clear conscience because, as far as I remember, I've not foul voted anyone recently - and definitely not in the Israel thread. Might be placing myself in the firing line here!

I get the impression you're not keen on the idea of 'Mods', but if you chose the right two/three it might lighten your load a bit? Not easy to choose suitable people here though. This ain't no car forum.
In the short term it would mean the hassle of agreeing Rules for Mods, but it the medium /long term it might help? If you made good appointments you'd only have 2 or 3 people to police?

Someone like Bill Madrid Bill Madrid would be an idealMod (sorry Bill, I don't know if you'd even be interested - take it as a compliment).

Time for me to shut up :)

Thanks for the reply. I hope we're all aware of the workload this kind of thread ('Israel') places upon you.
Make life easy for yourself by just giving yellows to anyone who gets 'x' number of foul votes? I can suggest this with a clear conscience because, as far as I remember, I've not foul voted anyone recently - and definitely not in the Israel thread. Might be placing myself in the firing line here!

I get the impression you're not keen on the idea of 'Mods', but if you chose the right two/three it might lighten your load a bit? Not easy to choose suitable people here though. This ain't no car forum.
In the short term it would mean the hassle of agreeing Rules for Mods, but it the medium /long term it might help? If you made good appointments you'd only have 2 or 3 people to police?

Someone like Bill Madrid Bill Madrid would be an idealMod (sorry Bill, I don't know if you'd even be interested - take it as a compliment).

Ha!

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I think I'd be terrible. I'd either let everything go willy nilly or hand out yellow and red cards like Mike Dean on meth.

God knows how those concerned find a happy medium, especially with something as contentious as Israel-Palestine.

Excellent idea! Just Troll voted you too. Fingers crossed it wasn't in vain.

giphy.gif
Look Whos Talking Now Omg GIF

I totally agree the Israel thread getting locked down and possibly the ‘Finance, Politics and War’ one but providing the Ukrainian one stays on the topic of Ukrainian affairs then maybe reopen that one?

Some posters were going way OTT in my opion and too many seemed to be getting genuinely upset and angry and we attracted a Bot who stoked the flames

I did post my concerns yesterday and a few including Admin Admin agreed with me

Wellsey Wellsey mentioned that this was the reason that SC also banned the subject

You obviously want it to continue and yes I also remember threads like the Forum Toilet that were worse and I was a contributor to my shame but I think that the Forum has moved on from those times thankfully

The Ukrainian/Russian thread has been re opened and, hopefully, we can all stay on topic

Last edited:

I didn't know the Israel thread had been closed, it was also a banned topic on SC. Mods are a really bad idea, they will become targets whoever it is. I can see this place slowly creeping away from his original format, where any offtopic controversial thread is going to be closed and there will be more concentration on the football side of the forum.

I didn't know the Israel thread had been closed, it was also a banned topic on SC. Mods are a really bad idea, they will become targets whoever it is. I can see this place slowly creeping away from his original format, where any offtopic controversial thread is going to be closed and there will be more concentration on the football side of the forum.

Respectfully, Is that such a bad idea as its primarily an English football forum?

Respectfully, Is that such a bad idea as its primarily an English football forum?
I mean for me yes it is, the whole thing about this forum is that it is different from other football forums and it's kind of a refuge for those of us who have been kicked out else where. Furthermore posters are given lots of chances when they fuck up.

There has had to be some change because people were really taking advantage and going too far with the abuse but I just think it would be shame if we turned into SC lite.

I mean for me yes it is, the whole thing about this forum is that it is different from other football forums and it's kind of a refuge for those of us who have been kicked out else where. Furthermore posters are given lots of chances when they fuck up.

There has had to be some change because people were really taking advantage and going too far with the abuse but I just think it would be shame if we turned into SC lite.

Yes I agree with that as they’re a boring bunch of fuckers!

Bringing in Moderators would be a very bad move IMO.

We'd become a COYS/SC/Spurs Odyssey type place where wankers have total control without a care in the world.

Quite happy for things to continue as they are, think Admin Admin does a good job given some of the shite he has to deal with.

Shame to see the Israel and the 'war/politics' threads locked though as they were a good read, however, it was getting a little OTT in places, so understand the decision.

Last edited:
The Israel thread wasn’t getting any more out of hand in any other thread ever does.

Closing the Israel thread on SC was beginning of the end for that place. It was great thread with some really frank but absolutely fascinating exchanges, including a Palestinian fella whose name escapes me now.

Hi Admin Admin
Any chance we could have the Israel thread back open. It's a major world event/catastrophe that affects many of us, directly or indirectly. It was a good place to discuss and for people of all perspectives to vent. I don't think we shouldn't stifle debate around this, this is what Israeli lobbyists have done successfully for a long time now, wherever possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom