Whats our best team/How do we go on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris
Walker - Fazio - Vertonghen - Rose
Bentaleb - Mason
Lamela - Eriksen - Chadli
Kane

We both say the exact same team. I get 1 agree, 1 like and 1 disagree.

You get 4 agrees. The forum summed up in a nutshell. It's who says what that matters, not what they say, disappointing really.

"I think idea A! Well, you're a cunt so it's a stupid idea. Well, i think idea A too! Well, that's a brilliant idea, why did no one mention it" :nawty:

I think everyone more or less agrees what 90% of our best team is, including Poch, and that we're just struggling with fixture congestion/squad rotation. Regardless of how well or how poorly this week goes, I think things will settle down once starting both Kane and Eriksen in the same game is no longer a luxury.

I think my main gripe is that there are at least 3 line ups Id like to see ahead of what he put out today, and that also counts for rotation. In fact, it would mean even more rotation than whats being used.

We are defending him over fixture congestion etc, but ignoring the fact he seems to have sacked a third of the old matchday squad/starting line up from coming anywhere near the bench and the pitch.
Where are our players? Seriously.

We both say the exact same team. I get 1 agree, 1 like and 1 disagree.

You get 4 agrees. The forum summed up in a nutshell. It's who says what that matters, not what they say, disappointing really.

"I think idea A! Well, you're a cunt so it's a stupid idea. Well, i think idea A too! Well, that's a brilliant idea, why did no one mention it" :nawty:
What it means is that 75% of people prefer Totti Totti 's team to yours. Seeing that it was the same team, that must tell you something.

Jayc1 Jayc1 Why did you stop ignoring me? you promised that you would. Just interested (expects disagree and no proper reply) :pochbye:
Get a girlfriend and chill out - although lord knows what sea monster you'd end up bagging - she'd have to be deaf mate, or blind. You've got to face up to it if you want little jayc1's. Thank fuck that's not going to happen.

I like Totti's team, as when those players are on form and 'click', then the world better watch out!! There are a few that can be interchanged (I'm thinking Rose/Mason/Fazio/Lamela) which wouldn't mess up the formation too much. We need to take into account the relative youthfulness of much of the team and the fact that they have only had this season to get used to a new coach, a new system and each other. If we can keep the core of the team together for another season (ie tell Madrid, Man C and all those other super-rich clubs to keep their mucky paws of our key players), then maybe, just maybe, we can put together a genuine bid for a top three finish next year. Here's hoping!

Can you two just fuck off, seriously

Between the manchester and Swedish Spurs contingent, I reckon I can get through the next week safely. I don't give a fuck about that Jayc1 Jayc1 twat, but you're full on mate - I know you are too - being the spokesman for Spurs and all that. Apologies for fucking with your agenda. It won't happen again :pochbye:

I like Totti's team, as when those players are on form and 'click', then the world better watch out!! There are a few that can be interchanged (I'm thinking Rose/Mason/Fazio/Lamela) which wouldn't mess up the formation too much. We need to take into account the relative youthfulness of much of the team and the fact that they have only had this season to get used to a new coach, a new system and each other. If we can keep the core of the team together for another season (ie tell Madrid, Man C and all those other super-rich clubs to keep their mucky paws of our key players), then maybe, just maybe, we can put together a genuine bid for a top three finish next year. Here's hoping!

My main issue with Totti's line up, is that when we were playing it, things did seem to tick, but there were always longs spells of the matches where we really looked void of ideas and a bit toothless going forward.

For me, Lamela should be sacrificed and we should play a version of the games we played v Sheff Utd, WBA and Woolwich, with Chadli coming into the set up.

An in form Dembele is a much, much better player than Lamela, and really offered us some muscle going forward, and more balance in central midfield.

I honestly think he suffered today due to the two headless chickens either side of him, and I dont think he should have been taken off. Especially not for Eriksen, who also had to suffer the other two and looked a loss.

Chadli for Townsend should have been the half time sub IMO, and possibly Mason off for Stambouli a little later, leaving the option for Eriksen or Soldado to come in later.

Its a concern when the manager's changes are rarely improving the situation.

My main issue with Totti's line up, is that when we were playing it, things did seem to tick, but there were always longs spells of the matches where we really looked void of ideas and a bit toothless going forward.

For me, Lamela should be sacrificed and we should play a version of the games we played v Sheff Utd, WBA and Woolwich, with Chadli coming into the set up.

An in form Dembele is a much, much better player than Lamela, and really offered us some muscle going forward, and more balance in central midfield.

I honestly think he suffered today due to the two headless chickens either side of him, and I dont think he should have been taken off. Especially not for Eriksen, who also had to suffer the other two and looked a loss.

Chadli for Townsend should have been the half time sub IMO, and possibly Mason off for Stambouli a little later, leaving the option for Eriksen or Soldado to come in later.

Its a concern when the manager's changes are rarely improving the situation.

Why do you think Chadli can play as a right winger, when I don't remember him having any games there this season, or at best a hand ful? What benefit do you think that will bring? I just can't understand why you would move him from his best position and why you think that's a good idea.

Why do you think Chadli can play as a right winger, when I don't remember him having any games there this season, or at best a hand ful? What benefit do you think that will bring? I just can't understand why you would move him from his best position and why you think that's a good idea.

I dont think he would be playing right wing at all....it would a 4-3-3, or if you like, a 4-3-2-1

....................Bentaleb...........................Mason
........................................Dembele
...............Chadli...........................................Eriksen

...........................................Kane

Dembele is deeper than Eriksen was in the earlier set up of:

..............Lamela.............Eriksen................Chadli

.........................................Kane

People get a bit caught up in the left, right and center thing, but all of our AMs drift all over the place.
I dont see that as Chadli playing wide right or wide left at all. He never has under Poch.

I dont think he would be playing right wing at all....it would a 4-3-3, or if you like, a 4-3-2-1

Dembele is deeper than Eriksen was in the earlier set up of:

..............Lamela.............Eriksen................Chadli

.........................................Kane

People get a bit caught up in the left, right and center thing, but all of our AMs drift all over the place.
I dont see that as Chadli playing wide right or wide left at all. He never has under Poch.

Coming in from the right (Even if it's the inside channel) still makes it more difficult to score with your right foot though, he's naturally going to be forced out wide by any intelligent defender or he's going to have to use his left foot when dribbling. If his run starts central then it might make us incredibly narrow, his dribbling isn't the best and Walker's delivery isn't good enough to compensate.

I understand the idea behind it, just not entirely convinced by it, especially when we know he's actually good on the left. The issue is always going to be finding a spot for Dembele; he didn't do too bad at CM against Chelsea.

Coming in from the right (Even if it's the inside channel) still makes it more difficult to score with your right foot though, he's naturally going to be forced out wide by any intelligent defender or he's going to have to use his left foot when dribbling. If his run starts central then it might make us incredibly narrow, his dribbling isn't the best and Walker's delivery isn't good enough to compensate.

I understand the idea behind it, just not entirely convinced by it, especially when we know he's actually good on the left. The issue is always going to be finding a spot for Dembele; he didn't do too bad at CM against Chelsea.

But thats what I mean...you are getting too caught up where his name is "on paper".

He can still come in from the left and shoot in this midfield:

All three AMs are drifting around. Eriksen is not on the left in that set up. All three are central in many respects. Its our full backs who provide width.

I don't think the performance was disgusting. We started ok. I just thought we looked a a bit lacklustre. Not sharp enough. Remember they had 8 days rest and prep for this game.
The default way to play us at home, on a narrow pitch , is what they did and what many have done this season. Defend deep and hit us on the break.
We have obviously got to go for it. They put 3 in the midfield and 3 up front, 2 to stop our fullbacks getting down the flanks. We then have to go down the middle and they play a nice tight line with not much space in behind.
Unfortunately, MP has inherited a squad with midfielders that do not have many goals in them. Only two of them this, and two last.
We just struggled to cut out any clear cut chances. Not for the want of trying though.
Chadli is obviously not mentally or physically 100%. Lamela did ok if you ask me. I watch Lamela and he gets into good positions and does not get the ball when he should. He is getting there imo
When we have a starting midfield consisting of AT, Lamela, Dembele, Mason and Bentaleb where are the goals coming from?
None of them have exactly good goalscoring records.

If some of them would be comfortable finishing some of those chances would have gone in. That's the main problem with this squad and has been for a while.
I hope Poch is looking at midfielders who are comfortable in front of goal.

We also gave away possession for the first goal.

I would not have started with AT. I would have liked to have seen Eriksen on the left, Dembele in the middle and Lamela on the right. At least Eriksen and Lamela compliment each other with their movement to either side.
Change would have been bring Soldado on for Mason put him in place of Moussa and put Dembele alongside Bentaleb.
Maybe with Sodlado and Kane to worry about more space would have opened up. I also think Soldado, Eriksen, Kane and Lamela work well together.

I just think we suffer a lot because of EL. I would say that if we were not playing on Thursday nights and Sunday mornings and playing Tues and Sat our league form would be better.
Of course it doesn't help having players in the squad who are no help. We are not utilising 5 players named in the squad. We also have lost a right midfielder and not replaced him.
Obviously MP doesn't think they are up to scratch but no doubt we could do with a reliable midfielder, defender and an experienced, goalscoring forward.

Back
Top Bottom