Whats our best team/How do we go on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ive calmed down from the nasty stress that was furiously building up in me today, caused by our beloved Spurs. The 2-2 helped. But, we all know that was a shit result really, and the worst game of the season performance wise.

Whats up with the tinkering?

For me it should be, when fit:

.......................................Lloris

Walker.....................Fazio............Jan...................Rose

.......................Bentaleb................Mason

.....................................Dembele

............Chadli..................................Eriksen

...................................Kane

It worked very well, with Lamela in there, but Chadli is the better player.
Regarding Rose and Mason, we have Davies and Stambouli who should be breathing down their necks, and introduced the moment the other two start costing the team.
Mason has been poor for the last few games....yet because Stambouli has been exiled for no reason, we are not even in a position where he can slip straight in.

Why has Poch suddenly dismantled everything to give Townsend his place back out of the blue?
Lamela and Townsend together is a no go.

A Plan B, for me would be to use some wing play and two up top. A classic 442.

Lamela................Bentaleb........Mason.................Chadli

....................................Soldado
.................................................Kane

Im not sure whats going on at the minute, but now is really not the time for experimenting.

Of course there will be variations of all sorts, but IMO we need a fixed 11, and an actual game changing back up plan for mid game, that is not based on guess work and a mish mash of players doing whatever they want.

Thoughts???

P.S, any hysterics about this meaning I want Poch out you need'nt bother joining the thread.

Good god sam trust me I was at west brom home we looked like worldbeaters compared to that

Yes one of worst performances since all the cunts were ostracized though

Poch trains these guys all week and picks the team based on loads of information cunts like you and me aren't privy too

second guessing him when we don't have a fucking clue about whats going on behind the scenes is futile

we've all got our favourite 11s and set ups but it's far more complex than that these days

Poch trains these guys all week and picks the team based on loads of information cunts like you and me aren't privy too

second guessing him when we don't have a fucking clue about whats going on behind the scenes is futile

we've all got our favourite 11s and set ups but it's far more complex than that these days

But see I dont get this sentiment.

You've just talked yourself out of ever criticising a line up, formation or sub, because the manager knows best.

Of course he does. Of course Poch knows more than me.

Will I ever condone bringing on Paulinho to see out a game though when we need someone like Stambouli to come on? No....fuck no. Never.

Good god sam trust me I was at west brom home we looked like worldbeaters compared to that

Yes one of worst performances since all the cunts were ostracized though

Mate we were one mis hit with a keeper acting like a cat that just had its tail trodden on, and a missed penalty that happened to come straight back to Kane, away from an implosion here that would have made Hiroshima look like a firework.

Dont let the 2-2 fool you.

That was terrible. An awful, awful show.

Last edited:
Mate we were one mis hit with a keeper acting like a cat that just had its tail trodden on, and a missed penalty that happened to come straight back Kane, away from an implosion here that would have made Hiroshima look like a firework.

Dont let the 2-2 fool you.

That was terrible. An awful, awful show.

I know it was a terrible show against a team who have nothing left to play for but beat us, we have a load of fixtures coming up and I am pretty sure your first team is the same as what Poch thinking, he is right to play Dier against speed merchants though, dembele had bad game and it cracked from there really

But see I dont get this sentiment.

You've just talked yourself out of ever criticising a line up, formation or sub, because the manager knows best.

Of course he does. Of course Poch knows more than me.

Will I ever condone bringing on Paulinho to see out a game though when we need someone like Stambouli to come on? No....fuck no. Never.

yea pretty much, imo regular tossers who strongly and regularly criticise professional football managers selections are idiots

i wouldn't be surprised if poch was being pressured or urged to try and make a player of paulinho, levy does have previous for this sort of thing

yea pretty much, imo regular tossers who strongly and regularly criticise professional football managers selections are idiots

i wouldn't be surprised if poch was being pressured or urged to try and make a player of paulinho, levy does have previous for this sort of thing

So you have agreed with every sub, line up and formation of every Spurs manager in every game you have ever watched.

You didnt strike me as an uber happy clapper mate to be fair.

You cant blame the chairman when Poch picks a player you would rather not see on the pitch. Blame the manager....that doenst make you an idiot because Poch is professional.

Its what makes football what it is....when fans sing a benched players name, or vent their frustration and sing "you dont know what your doing" at their own managers. They are not idiots....they can simply see that some things are not working, and bringing on a shit player wont change that.

dembele had bad game and it cracked from there really

Its not really surprising that he looked shit when he had to form a unit with both Townsend and Lamela though.
Why, today, has Poch used that is beyond me.

Has Townsend offered more than Chadli of late? I must have missed something.

I'd go back to the team we had a few weeks ago, during our winning run. Can understand why it's been chopped lately (Mason minor injury, Chadli family issues) but I think it's time to go back to it.

----------Lloris---------
Walker---Fazio---Jan---Rose
----Mason---Bentaleb---
Lamela---Eriksen---Chadl
-----------Kane---------

I think Dembele should be used behind Kane in the big games, as he keeps the ball and can defend pretty well, but otherwise I generally like the 3 behind Kane.

I think Chadli on the right wing is a terrible idea, his best attribute is coming inside on his right foot and scoring goals. Putting him on the right sacrifices that.

I think Fazio was getting better and better, I always appreciate his experience and leadership. People forget he's won the biggest title in our entire squad. I think he communicates a lot more than Dier, who is one of the youngest players in our squad with no experience at all.

Its not really surprising that he looked shit when he had to form a unit with both Townsend and Lamela though.
Why, today, has Poch used that is beyond me.

Has Townsend offered more than Chadli of late? I must have missed something.

I agree but Chadli not been quite the same guy since his dad passed, on form it's no contest especially when a goal down Chadli a clear goal threat, lamela and Townsend together yes is a little too much one or another

Although respect yet again for Lamelas work rate and effort today head doesn't seem to go down like it used to

Ive calmed down from the nasty stress that was furiously building up in me today, caused by our beloved Spurs. The 2-2 helped. But, we all know that was a shit result really, and the worst game of the season performance wise.

Whats up with the tinkering?

For me it should be, when fit:

.......................Bentaleb................Mason

............Chadli..................................Eriksen

...................................Kane

It worked very well, with Lamela in there, but Chadli is the better player.
Regarding Rose and Mason, we have Davies and Stambouli who should be breathing down their necks, and introduced the moment the other two start costing the team.
Mason has been poor for the last few games....yet because Stambouli has been exiled for no reason, we are not even in a position where he can slip straight in.

Why has Poch suddenly dismantled everything to give Townsend his place back out of the blue?
Lamela and Townsend together is a no go.

A Plan B, for me would be to use some wing play and two up top. A classic 442.

Lamela................Bentaleb........Mason.................Chadli

....................................Soldado
.................................................Kane

Im not sure whats going on at the minute, but now is really not the time for experimenting.

Of course there will be variations of all sorts, but IMO we need a fixed 11, and an actual game changing back up plan for mid game, that is not based on guess work and a mish mash of players doing whatever they want.

Thoughts???

P.S, any hysterics about this meaning I want Poch out you need'nt bother joining the thread.
This is our best lineup by far,play this at Wembley and I think we can do Chavs COYS

Even with the bad performance we still had almost twice as many shots/possesion as the hammers, as Mensa Mensa said nowhere near the west brom game.

I think everyone more or less agrees what 90% of our best team is, including Poch, and that we're just struggling with fixture congestion/squad rotation. Regardless of how well or how poorly this week goes, I think things will settle down once starting both Kane and Eriksen in the same game is no longer a luxury.

Not true. We scored in the last minute. That means we were fucking awesome and there's nothing to worry about.

We can't be awesome in every game. We're getting a lot of points from losing positions - 16 now I think - the most of any team in the Prem. We might not be the finished article (which would be a joke after 7 months) but at least we've got some bollocks.

The team just needs to be rotated to try to keep the performance at a high enough level all season, today might not have seemed like the ideal time to do it - but when is.........all of our games are important now

Yeah, I suppose its necessary, but he seems to do it in extremes.

Fo me, the obvious shoe ins are, Stambouli for Mason, and if Dembele is to be used in his "new" or recent role, more attacking, then Chadli straight in for Lamela.

Eriksen is not immune to benching and probably does need a rest, BUT you simply cannot have a like for like set up and try to play Lamela and Townsend instead of Chadli and Eriksen. Its like minus 80% brain power and execution in the final third.
If we are not going to start with our key players, it makes sense to me to mix it up completely and play a different way, with a different formation.

Why not start today in a 442. Surely Soldado should be starting ahead of Townsend after his last game.
Why not play Kane ahead of him so we utilise our biggest goal threat?

If he didnt want 442, but felt the need to rotate, how about:

Dier.....................Fazio............Jan...................Davies

...............Bentaleb...........................Stambouli

.............Lamela.......................Soldado

.....................................Kane

Just try something else....its no good struggling with rotation issues when we have players like Ade, Vlad, Capoue and Kaboul nowhere to be seen.

Where the fuck are they? They could actually help the team, but its the likes of Paulinho and Townsend getting game time.

Back
Top Bottom