Whats our best team/How do we go on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you consider to be our best team though?

For me, Id like to see Chadli and Fazio brought back in, and Stambouli and Mason to share the work load. Im not sure they need months of rest.

Bentaleb can also take the odd break, as Stam and Mason formed a fine pairing when he was away.

Other than Eriksen, for one hour yesterday, our key players havent really been rested anyway.

Jan and Walker are playing every game despite decent cover for them.
For me it's the pretty standard back 5 with Fazio over Dier. Any 2 out of Stambouli, Mason & Bentaleb as the 2 deeper midfielders. Any 2 out of Dembele, Chadli and Lamela as part of a front 4 with Kane & Eriksen. For me yesterday's starting XI was missing 1 must start player in Eriksen and on Thursday it was with Kane, throw in some players who are not up to being a starter getting a start like Paulinho, Soldado & to a lesser extent Townsend and I'm not at all surprised we've been a bit lacklustre

Probably get slammed for suggesting Mason be on the bench, but kinda dig playing with 1 CDM vs certain teams in that diamond. Looked very strong towards tail end when Chadli came on for Mason. Obviously that's partially due to tactics from West Ham, but still looked fluid.

.......................Lloris
Walker.....Dier.......Vertongen.....Rose
.......................Bentaleb
........Lamela......................Chadli
........................Eriksen
................Bobby..........Kane

Probably get slammed for suggesting Mason be on the bench, but kinda dig playing with 1 CDM vs certain teams in that diamond. Looked very strong towards tail end when Chadli came on for Mason. Obviously that's partially due to tactics from West Ham, but still looked fluid.

no no no, clearly our best performances have been with Kane as our lone striker and a creative 3 behind him with Eriksen in the center. When Kane plays with Bobby he naturally tucks further back and doesn't get the ball in dangerous positions.

no no no, clearly our best performances have been with Kane as our lone striker and a creative 3 behind him with Eriksen in the center. When Kane plays with Bobby he naturally tucks further back and doesn't get the ball in dangerous positions.

Agreed, but keeping Eriksen in the CAM role behind the Kane and Bobby seemed to pay dividends in that regard. Kane was definitely staying forward.

Generally you're right though, with 2 CMs, he played further back, taking on more of that #10 role; not as effective.

Against any team trying to go forward we'd be slaughtered through the midfield. Bentaleb can't do it on his own.

We don't have a best team, that to me is the long and short of it.

Certain players seem to complement others better than some. I don't think we're too far off having a very good side but it's obviously important that any changes we make are the right ones. We've not always been the best at utilising our strengths and taking advantage of what we have.

I can't help but think back to when we had Berbatov and Keane scoring for fun but a midfield who couldn't really attack or defend.

As for our best team I think we still have some work to sort out some of the positions. Nailed on for best team I would say the following
GK Lloris
RB Walker
CB Vertonghen
CM Bentaleb
CM Mason
AM Eriksen
AM Chadli
ST Kane

Added to that I think at LB Rose/Davies are capable and CB Dier/Fazio
So that leaves that third attacking position which imo nobody has really nailed down. Lamela, Townsend, Dembele all have their moments but I still wouldn't consider any of them nailed on starters they just haven't done enough. It may be the one spot in the summer we look to upgrade with the other possibly being Mason in CM. At least we need some competition for his place because we sorely miss his tempo he provides when he is out.

All of which only make someone a good centre back if they are used in the right way.

It's one of those positions where the majority of the work is done in your head.
Yes : Still not sure about Fazio:
However he is a former skipper and can lead and the EPL is more physical which I think he probably likes, given his much published run ins with Costa. He is our defensive wild card for Wembley I reckon it wont faze him the big game the atmosphere he has been there before and won trophies!

Dier is class but he would get absolutely eaten by costa if he was to start on sunday. I dont understand the arguement of " you dont see what happens behind closed doors" because to be frank i dont need to. I dont give a shit if lamela can turn on the ball 30 times in a row and paulinho scores from midfield, because anyone with half a decent football brain can tell if its coming off in a game or not. sammyspurs sammyspurs has made some brilliant points in this thread regarding the squad rotation however i do believe people like adebayor and kaboul must be poison on the players attitude. Yes they can still do a job footballing wise but what kind of example would that set to our youngsters ? I think poch is taking his time and making them work their way back in to anywhere near the first team, the same way he did with dembele at the start of the season. Thats one thing that has created this fight till the end attitude because hes cut down on the characters and made us a team from a pile of mercenary shit to be brutally honest . Its hard to imagine that with the players on our books our squad is so thin, but i think poch knows who is down for the cause and if your not then you can watch from the sidelines, it just worries me as our squad is so young if they can mentally bounce back if we do hit a bit of a patch. Fiorentina and the final are crucial this week and this will turn some of these youngsters from boys to men and some into legends. Whoever plays on thursday and sunday will need our full support no matter what because this is our season this week !
:parker:

Back
Top Bottom