What next for us?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can anyone tell me what we achieved by changing manager mid season?.....

Complete joke of a season.

Whatever we do we have to back the next manager fully. We have to sign the players they actually want - like AVB and moutinho....otherwise we can never really be surprised when they don't achieve what we expect of them.

Yep. If we'd signed Moutinho when we had the chance we'd be in a very different situation right now.

£5-10m better off after selling him for a profit.

:levyeyes:

Everyone speaks about getting Champions League football, but surely tonight has proven that even if we were in it this year, we are evidently 1000 miles away from the standard required and would probably get smashed. Benfica (a Champions League drop out) looked 10 times better on and off the ball than us. Yes you can argue that "better" players would come to the club, more money etc etc, but the squad this season even having spent £100 million, wouldnt have been able to cope.

Look back at our team in the Champions League under Redknapp, the likes of Bale, Modric, Van der Vaart. The team now just doesnt compare. On top of that, the football we were playing then was far more exciting and attacking than the boring shit we get week in week out now.

So glad I booked up Benfica away.. (Will still be a class away day, but will most likely get hammered on the pitch)

Makes you wonder if Levy would ever think about ringing Harry up again. Not into the idea, but I often wonder...

There is no getting away from the fact that ENIC/LEVY have turned the club around in respects of expectations and taken us from being relegation/mid-table mediocrity to top half/top six regulars. I just think that the one thing that lets them down is this recurring situation of hiring yes men and then undermining them when things don't quite go to plan. The knee jerking has got to stop. The appointment of Timmy is one that I find hard to understand. He is on a hiding too nothing. According to everyone in the know, he was being groomed for the job anyway. Now, after only three months in the hot seat it seems he is not taking too well too the pressure. Yes he is a no nonsense type of guy, but surely everyone at the club would have known this already. His press conferance displays and after match interviews are actually one of the things that I like about him, it remains too be seen how Levy reacts to them, we all know he does not take kindly to Managers courting/speaking out to the press, that's basically the excuse they gave when firing the man in the grey coat and Harry.
This should of been the season that Spurs took advantage of the aligning of the stars moment, ie, change in management of 3 out of 4 of the Champions league regulars. This has been a massive error in judgement in a number of areas, from not backing/sacking AVB. Wasting a shit load of cash on players that apparently nobody except Baldini wanted, and basically returning to a two tiered management structure that failed fantastically, last time it was employed.
We need a good old fashioned no nonsense man manager back at the helm, hopefully we already have that in Timmy, only time will tell. But whatever happens between now and the end of the World Cup, ENIC need to make a decision and actually have the conviction to give it time and stick with it.

But what do I know.

There is no getting away from the fact that ENIC/LEVY have turned the club around in respects of expectations and taken us from being relegation/mid-table mediocrity to top half/top six regulars. I just think that the one thing that lets them down is this recurring situation of hiring yes men and then undermining them when things don't quite go to plan. The knee jerking has got to stop. The appointment of Timmy is one that I find hard to understand. He is on a hiding too nothing. According to everyone in the know, he was being groomed for the job anyway. Now, after only three months in the hot seat it seems he is not taking too well too the pressure. Yes he is a no nonsense type of guy, but surely everyone at the club would have known this already. His press conferance displays and after match interviews are actually one of the things that I like about him, it remains too be seen how Levy reacts to them, we all know he does not take kindly to Managers courting/speaking out to the press, that's basically the excuse they gave when firing the man in the grey coat and Harry.
This should of been the season that Spurs took advantage of the aligning of the stars moment, ie, change in management of 3 out of 4 of the Champions league regulars. This has been a massive error in judgement in a number of areas, from not backing/sacking AVB. Wasting a shit load of cash on players that apparently nobody except Baldini wanted, and basically returning to a two tiered management structure that failed fantastically, last time it was employed.
We need a good old fashioned no nonsense man manager back at the helm, hopefully we already have that in Timmy, only time will tell. But whatever happens between now and the end of the World Cup, ENIC need to make a decision and actually have the conviction to give it time and stick with it.

But what do I know.

Well said. In regards to the hiring of Tim I think it's pretty clear he was the fallback option. It's pretty common knowledge that Levy was in Holland during the Southampton game and watched it with Van Gaal. LVG declined to coach us while he was coaching Holland and we ended up with Sherwood.

Hopefully Van Gaal is our guy in the summer and hopefully Levy allows him the autonomy to do what he wants.

Complete revamp. All gone to shit.
Its not that we aren't getting into the champions league. its things like... How the fuck did Paulinho stay on the pitch for 90 fucking minutes. When Townsend Chadli Soldado Bentaleb... were all on the bench. when at one point we're 2-0 down, with 40 minutes left to play. Or why did Harry Kane start NOW? Of all games... Why did we start with a right back at left back when we had two left backs on the bench... ya know? shit like that.

I mean.. i know why. We employed an absolute novice to manage Tottenham Hotspur football club.
But tbh, that does leave more questions than answers....

I am fucking dreading Sunday. We looked a beaten team at 0 - 1 with no ideas going forward. That was from the stands tho, maybe it was different on telly.

Just accept that we are the nearly men , it pisses me off to think this but after several decades of supporting my beloved team , it's factual. It always goes wrong , be it lasagne , finishing 4th & STILL not getting CL.. Mendes goal at OT & countless other surreal things . We are freaks, but I still love you u battered old cockerel x

Ahem.
windows-blue-screen-of-death-pfn_list_corrupt.jpg

Yep. If we'd signed Moutinho when we had the chance we'd be in a very different situation right now.

£5-10m better off after selling him for a profit.

:levyeyes:

Jerry, I'm going to take a complete stab in the dark and bet you've not read the Robert Enke book?

I don't think we are too far away. Get in a new manager - Van Gaal or de Boar. From day one say unless something absolutely ridiculous happens that he will have 2 full seasons.
In 2 years I can see us losing Lloris and Vertonghen to bigger clubs. The rest I think will stay. We will need a new keeper, CBs and Striker in/before two years.

Possible 2 years from now team and years:

Keeper
Walker (23-25) - CB - Chiriches (24-26) - Rose (23-25)
------Sandro (24-26) - Dembele (26-28)
Lamela (22-24) - Eriksen (22-24) - Holtby/Chadli (23-25/24-26)
Striker

Basically the whole team will have time to adapt to a manager and the league. Oldest player is Dembele at 28 in two years.

Jerry, I'm going to take a complete stab in the dark and bet you've not read the Robert Enke book?

Knee deep in bloody philosophy books for the last five years, so, no, I haven't. If you mean that life is too short to worry about what could have been, I'm more than aware of that. My reply wasn't entirely serious.

Here's a simple objective:

Damage limitation at the NLD this weekend.

Try to get a draw. Otherwise a loss of no more than two goals.

Sounds realistic and achievable? COYS!

I am fucking dreading Sunday. We looked a beaten team at 0 - 1 with no ideas going forward. That was from the stands tho, maybe it was different on telly.

No different on tv. We can take it as a given that if we conceded first its game over and probably 3 or 4 more to come.....other teams, like Woolwich know this too. Sunday will be hell.

sunday is about the fans.... fuck everything else... sing your hearts out gents...
I wont be in the ground but somewhere roundabout.
remember who you are... loud & proud... show those cunts squatting down the road
what true support is all about.. even if the product before you is shite.

your spurs. let them know you are.

Is it too much to lower expectations?

If we do that, I bet the fans will start being less like divs and just enjoy some wins, some draws and accept some losses a little more. I know I enjoyed the whole day a lot more back then.

Back
Top Bottom