West Bromich Albion versus Tottenham Hotspur - 31st January.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This LGBT thing has pissed me off. First up I can totally get why they may be offended. If there's too many people doing it for it to be a stewarding issue then surely the next step is to open a dialogue with the club and have them raise awareness and ask for it to stop first. If it doesn't then great, do what you feel you need to do.

One thing you don't do is CC kickitout straight off the bat. Not only is it putting the club in an awkward position but it is then potentially going to separate their supporters group from everyone else rather than bring us all together as fans of the same club. I don't recall upset Jewish fans going straight to kickitout or the police first over the use of the "Y word." Good luck trying to be part of a larger collective if your first port of call is to shop fellow fans rather than trying to make it stop with discussion.

There is nothing to discuss in the first place. People nowadays are offended by everything and anything. These so called groups are made to help yet the distance they create between "them" and "us" dont help the cause.

There is nothing to discuss in the first place. People nowadays are offended by everything and anything. These so called groups are made to help yet the distance they create between "them" and "us" dont help the cause.

Playing devil's advocate. Whole point is that if something offends ANY group and it's beyond a stewarding issue then it should be a dialogue with the club first rather than what they have chosen to do.

...surely the LGBT getting involved (and offended) is tantamount to them thinking (wrongly) that all rent-boys are GAY... surely an organisation that PRIDES itself (pun intended) on who is, who isn't, and it doesn't matter either way... should know full well that all <removed>s aren't gay, and as such, this 'issue' is of no concern to them.

EDIT: Ahem, I realise I come across as someone who knows quite a lot (some would say too much) about the sexual orientation of <removed>s... I really dont! Truth is, I once played one on 'The Bill' many moons ago, and did some research at the time... the whole idea was that he was completely straight, but that it was about circumstance and why he became one, not just that they're all screaming homosexuals!

Blimey... have we really gotta explain and justify every song to some 'Easily offended' organisation now?

Last edited:
Agreed but I can still see why they may get offended by it. My issue is with their approach in tackling it rather than their issue with the term.

Maybe but there is no right not to be offended, particularly if in this case they seem to have missed the context of it.

Your right if they have an issue they should raise it as a dialog not try and force shit and divide fans up.

...surely the LGBT getting involved (and offended) is tantamount to them thinking (wrongly) that all rent-boys are GAY... surely an organisation that PRIDES itself (pun intended) on who is, who isn't, and it doesn't matter either way... should know full well that all <removed>s aren't gay, and as such, this 'issue' is of no concern to them...

We live in an era of moral outrage, sociologist define this as moral panics and we just seem to go through them in a
daily basis.

I am glad spurs have a strong gay group just as a strong Jewish group but I do not support overreaction or offence taking for little or no reason.

So how did it work out yesterday?

As I was spending 2 nights and a day into the wild, I was not able to see the game.

Curious line-up, who played where and how did everyone do? Even Pauly got the whole game?

And yeah - it was fucking cold and snowing and all.

There is a right of any group to feel offended by any perceived insults that they deemed has been aimed at them, however this is subject to interpretation and these groups have to accept that misunderstandings do occur and this has to be acknowledged.

We're coming for you
We're coming for you
Chelsea <removed>s
We're coming for you

Not cause you're gay
Not cause you're gay
Chelsea <removed>s
Not cause you're gay

There is a right of any group to feel offended by any perceived insults that they deemed has been aimed at them, however this is subject to interpretation and these groups have to accept that misunderstandings do occur and this has to be acknowledged.
The follow up tweet this morning shows, they aren't backing down either:

Now they're acting ridiculous

Words that scan equivalently to "rent-boys" but are not homophobic and are Chelsea-centric:
  • Plastics
  • Poseurs
  • Nazis
  • Fascists
  • Sellouts
  • Racists
Even the defenders of the term on this thread and others grant that it has homophobic origins (since a hool got caught with a male prostitute). Ha ha, Chelsea, you are men who like to have sex with men (and/or pay for it), ha ha. Ha ha, Chelsea, you let gross skinhead hool fatties put their things in your things just to make some money, ha ha.

Oh, but now it's "ironic" because--lets rationalise away!--because you've "rented" your, um... Yeah loyalty! to Roman!

No they haven't. They're reaping the benefits of a lucky payday, not "renting" out their support. Are they paid for their tickets? Last I checked, they buy them. Rationalise, rationalise, and then claim you can't have any fun anymore. (Bollox. Plenty of fun songs manage not to be racist, homophobic, etc. Cf "Everywhere we go".)

Which is why I gave the list at the start of this post. Now I know a lot of TFC forum top boys would never consider a term like "fascist" or the like an insult, so I'm ok if those don't catch on. But the rest scan perfectly.

HANG ON A FUCKING MINUTE!
This is the second time Chelsea have somehow been offended or the 'victims' of our awful terrible songs... first Baddeil was offended 'on behalf of Jews' everywhere 'cos of the Y-Word-Gate... now this? Why the hell are the LGBT standing up for a club as odious as them?
When the hell are the campaign group for BRITISH GAS/EDF/E.ON gonna set up an online petition asking Chelsea fans to stop fucking hissing at us...? as it's giving a bad name to, and causing untold offence to rational, innocent gas-users everywhere!!

I do remember a story about Verona coming to Napoli, Verona fans had taunted them at their last game 'Welcome to Italy' because they considered the South to be a country all of it's own and their response was simple 'Juliet was a Whore', I wonder if anyone felt they needed to take offence on the part of a fictional character...

I think Proud Lillywhites do need to pick their battles way more effectively, there is homophobia in sport, calling Chelsea, a club that has effectively sold it's soul, <removed>s is not an unreasonable comparison. The back story about the Chelsea hooligan is probably true,anything super masculine like hooliganism is just a notch off homoerotic!

They could debate it on twitter but to report it to Kick It Out does not do well for a new organisation and maybe it's trying to make a name for itself. Looking to find ways of being offended is a very slippery slope.

I never had a problem with the flag and I have no problem with them tackling with genuine issues that make our LGBT fans feel uncomfortable about supporting the club, I don't think this was one of those times and the danger of this in the long run is looking like the boy who cried wolf when something truly objectionable or wrong is chanted.

Words that scan equivalently to "rent-boys" but are not homophobic and are Chelsea-centric:
  • Plastics
  • Poseurs
  • Nazis
  • Fascists
  • Sellouts
  • Racists
Even the defenders of the term on this thread and others grant that it has homophobic origins (since a hool got caught with a male prostitute). Ha ha, Chelsea, you are men who like to have sex with men (and/or pay for it), ha ha. Ha ha, Chelsea, you let gross skinhead hool fatties put their things in your things just to make some money, ha ha.

Oh, but now it's "ironic" because--lets rationalise away!--because you've "rented" your, um... Yeah loyalty! to Roman!

No they haven't. They're reaping the benefits of a lucky payday, not "renting" out their support. Are they paid for their tickets? Last I checked, they buy them. Rationalise, rationalise, and then claim you can't have any fun anymore. (Bollox. Plenty of fun songs manage not to be racist, homophobic, etc. Cf "Everywhere we go".)

Which is why I gave the list at the start of this post. Now I know a lot of TFC forum top boys would never consider a term like "fascist" or the like an insult, so I'm ok if those don't catch on. But the rest scan perfectly.
Great points but I think you're missing the main point.
Songs like this are meant to get a reaction. Provoke agro.
And let's be honest, football fans as a whole are hardly gentrified. And the "hools" targeted by this song even less. They would take less offense from all of those terms than from <removed>.
Fuck, they might even enjoy being called racists and fascists!

Back
Top Bottom