Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you're missing the point. If it goes back to Lloris, we still have possession and the chance to attack. If we don't have the ball, we have to win it back, which is not guaranteed.

How many times have we been pick-pocketed? The number is actually quite few. Lloris isn't great with distribution, but is noticeably worse when trying to play it long. Passing to a CB to play it out of the back again is much less risky than lumping it forward.

The 97% of our goals coming from inside the box matters because it's a reminder that the long shots are not going in. But we take a lot of them. 50% of our shots are coming from range. That's the highest % among the good teams. Yet they're not going in. Maybe, since this ranged shooting isn't getting goals, we should take the hint and pass into the box more, since all our goals are happening there?

I don't care if its the AMs instead of the strikers shooting from inside the box, I care where we shoot from. But, it is our AMs going the bulk of the long range shooting. So...

Or rather than passing backward to retain possession, why not try taking the player on, attempting difficult through balls, getting in the penalty area if we can. Some of the time we'll lose the ball doing that, but we're good enough to get it back and we defend well. I'd have thought the risk is worth taking for the benefit of making it past that last defender 1 in 4 times or whatever and then being in a true goal scoring opportunity.

I think you're missing the point. If it goes back to Lloris, we still have possession and the chance to attack. If we don't have the ball, we have to win it back, which is not guaranteed.

I can guarantee, 100%, without doubt, at some point over the next few minutes from that shot, probably seconds, we will regain the ball.

How many times have we been pick-pocketed? The number is actually quite few. Lloris isn't great with distribution, but is noticeably worse when trying to play it long. Passing to a CB to play it out of the back again is much less risky than lumping it forward.

Who has advocated long ball?
We get pickpocketed quite often....we lost at Old Trafford trying to keep possession on the halfway line for no good reason

The 97% of our goals coming from inside the box matters because it's a reminder that the long shots are not going in. But we take a lot of them. 50% of our shots are coming from range. That's the highest % among the good teams. Yet they're not going in. Maybe, since this ranged shooting isn't getting goals, we should take the hint and pass into the box more, since all our goals are happening there?

And again....how many shots that we dont take go in? You know, how many goals have we scored from passing back to Lloris. Attack over.
We can build again and score. Just like we can when we regain possession from a goal kick after a missed shot.

What if we miss from inside the box? Is it easier to regain the ball from the goal kick because we missed from the 6 yard box?

I don't care if its the AMs instead of the strikers shooting from inside the box, I care where we shoot from. But, it is our AMs going the bulk of the long range shooting. So...

And I dont care where we shoot from if there is a clear shot on.

Or rather than passing backward to retain possession, why not try taking the player on, attempting difficult through balls, getting in the penalty area if we can. Some of the time we'll lose the ball doing that, but we're good enough to get it back and we defend well.

Exactly...losing posession is losing possession....whether its from a shot inside the box, outside the box, playing a through ball or playing it back. Its far worse to lose the ball going back, but apparently that hardly ever happens.

No it isn't.

Its weird to not trust what you see isnt it......kind of like how sects can work. Read a few psalms enough and suddenly you think a man bowled over a lake and fed 5 thousand people with a fucking fish.

"So n so was poor today"
"No he wasnt, it says here he made 99% of his passes....distribution King that one"
"Yeah but it doesnt say he only made 3 passes, sideways, on the halfway line, to a player 1 meter away"
"Yeah but this site says 99%"

Its weird to not trust what you see isnt it......kind of like how sects can work. Read a few psalms enough and suddenly you think a man bowled over a lake and fed 5 thousand people with a fucking fish.

"So n so was poor today"
"No he wasnt, it says here he made 99% of his passes....distribution King that one"
"Yeah but it doesnt say he only made 3 passes, sideways, on the halfway line, to a player 1 meter away"
"Yeah but this site says 99%"

It's true that eyewitness accounts of the same crime do differ quite markedly, but this phenomenon shouldn't be confused with watching a sport you understand, and are fully focussed on.

Poor guy just isn't at the races at all. Bobby Soldier was way better as a supporting striker and gave more to the team. Vince is a headless chicken. Somewhere between a shite version of Theo Walcott and Paul Mahorn. He could do a job for us, but probably washing dishes or serving vegetables in the players' canteen.

I think he'll get two more decent chances in the Cups to prove SOME sort of worth...

If he can't do it against Wycombe or Gent, then he really can't expect to be given a chance against superior opposition in the Premier League!

He needs to prove he deserves to be at the club... he's not a Special needs Charity case... he's a Professional footballer being paid vast amounts to do ONE job!
Time he started doing it...

I think he'll get two more decent chances in the Cups to prove SOME sort of worth...

If he can't do it against Wycombe or Gent, then he really can't expect to be given a chance against superior opposition in the Premier League!

He needs to prove he deserves to be at the club... he's not a Special needs Charity case... he's a Professional footballer being paid vast amounts to do ONE job!
Time he started doing it...
No no no mate. It's the rest of the team not passing into the penalty area for him. Choosing always to shoot from distance instead. We need to build the team around him.

:pocheyes:

He needs to get excited for the next chance he gets rather than dread it.

At the moment, I could swear he's scared shitless of the next time he walks out onto the pitch for us. He needs to take a leaf out of N'Koudou's book and find some joy in it.

It's immensely well-paid football, after all!

At the moment, I could swear he's scared shitless of the next time he walks out onto the pitch for us. He needs to take a leaf out of N'Koudou's book and find some joy in it.

GKN was a breath of fresh air yesterday. Looked like he loved every minute of it & gave the crowd a huge lift. Hoping he gets plenty more game time in the coming weeks. Also hope Vince gets more time to settle into first team football. I'd really like a happy ending. :vdvhmm:

I don't know if he's scared, but it seems to me like he's trying to make an amazing play every time he gets the ball.

It's like he's worried he'll never get the ball again and he has to prove himself that second.

He should get the start against Wycombe and the following Cup game and if he does not score or look impressive, he really needs to be evaluated. Until then leave the lad alone.

I'm happy to wait until next season to see what we have in Janssen. Lamela and Son are perfect examples of players who needed time to adapt and I have confidence Janssen is committed enough that he will work on his game and contribute more next year.

We have only just started to perfect 3 at the back, but last night showed that Davies and Trippier dont suit it. Doesnt mean they are wrong signings.....they were perfect when we reverted to our usual set up.

Janssen has been here for HALF a season. Lamela took TWO seasons to even look like a footballer.

As we grow, we will learn new formations and find the best set ups between the players.
Janssen has a place in that somewhere, or least he deserves a shot at turning it around.

We all want a top striker to come and sit on our bench. Who though?

There is talk of Lallana again.....will he leave Liverpools first team to be a sub here? Forget it.
The good thing about Vinny, is that he´s back up, so he should get the time to imrpove. There actually isnt a desperate need to get rid of him yet, but there is a need for him to get game time.

Just on the 3 at the back thing...
We have 2 freaks at wing back fast strong and good defenders. Rose imo must be up there with the best in the WORLD right now, and Walker has really sured up the defensive side of his game. Anybody else in there except them two would look like there not suited tbh but thats just because of the incredible standards the pair of them are setting at the moment.

I'm happy to wait until next season to see what we have in Janssen. Lamela and Son are perfect examples of players who needed time to adapt and I have confidence Janssen is committed enough that he will work on his game and contribute more next year.

Agreed. Think too many are quick to buy in to the media narrative which says "no goals from open play = failure".
We always knew he wasn't going to be as good as Kane. But if we write him off as a failure, we ultimately lose out. Still young and he needs to feel fan support to get the lack of goals monkey off his back rather than fan pressure and jeering

Back
Top Bottom