Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Juice loves to reduce a fluid game to static charts and graphs. It's not American football.
Thank you for misrepresenting what I am saying Joe, I love you too. You can't reduce football to anything. But the blue fact is that the human eye is a poor witness, because it's connected to the human brain. And there's an entire library written about decision making errors like hindsight bias, recency bias, confirmation bias, the availability heuristic, sunk cost fallacy, etc.

Or, if you want to put that in football terms, relying solely on the human eye gets you Paulinho, Robbie Keane the second time, Roberto Soldado, a permanent contract for Adebayor, Fazio, Vlad Chiriches, Alan Pardew, Falcao at Man Utd, West Ham's entire season and the career of Andy Carroll.

Thank you for misrepresenting what I am saying Joe, I love you too. You can't reduce football to anything. But the blue fact is that the human eye is a poor witness, because it's connected to the human brain. And there's an entire library written about decision making errors like hindsight bias, recency bias, confirmation bias, the availability heuristic, sunk cost fallacy, etc.

Or, if you want to put that in football terms, relying solely on the human eye gets you Paulinho, Robbie Keane the second time, Roberto Soldado, a permanent contract for Adebayor, Fazio, Vlad Chiriches, Alan Pardew, Falcao at Man Utd, West Ham's entire season and the career of Andy Carroll.

The stats backed Paulinho - my eyes told me he was shit, and Fazio, Chiriches, Carroll and West Ham.

I've got nothing against stats, but when looking at a player I can only go on what I see. And to record stats you rely on the human eye don't you?

Agreed. Think too many are quick to buy in to the media narrative which says "no goals from open play = failure".
We always knew he wasn't going to be as good as Kane. But if we write him off as a failure, we ultimately lose out. Still young and he needs to feel fan support to get the lack of goals monkey off his back rather than fan pressure and jeering
It's divide and conquer tactics, if you ask me.

There's no point arguing amongst ourselves over Janssen's poor start to his Spurs career. I'm sure he'll end up seeing what the media says and dropping his head even further than he is already. Likewise, he'll feel the bad vibes from the crowd and there will be a feedback loop of low confidence.

Alas, while our fans are great and stuck with Soldado for a long time, that experience probably makes us all a bit quicker to give up on big Vince.

On the plus side, while the atmosphere towards Sissoko was unbelievably toxic in the Leverkusen match at Wembley (which he did partly deserve - awful performance) his subsequent improvement has been met well with fans. So it can be turned around pretty quickly as soon as the performances do.

The stats backed Paulinho - my eyes told me he was shit, and Fazio, Chiriches, Carroll and West Ham.

I've got nothing against stats, but when looking at a player I can only go on what I see. And to record stats you rely on the human eye don't you?
In the past, Opta did, as they had teams of people recording on-pitch actions. Then SportVu invented camera software to do all the data logging for you. Your point though, misses mine.

In the past, Opta did, as they had teams of people recording on-pitch actions. Then SportVu invented camera software to do all the data logging for you. Your point though, misses mine.
Ok, but it's all in the interpretation and quite obviously different people draw different conclusions so we're no further down the road.

Ok, but it's all in the interpretation and quite obviously different people draw different conclusions so we're no further down the road.
Quite right.
We can discuss what we see on the pitch (who played well, who was shit, who was MOTM etc) & I find that very entertaining & informative.
However I fail to get at all excited by reading what the stats say.
One is a visual feast & a recollection of special moments of brilliance or madness on the pitch

The other is a one dimensional analysis of numbers, graphs, pie charts etc which leaves me cold.

But each to their own.

I'll give him this season, he's young and we've seen big improvements from the likes of Lamela and Kane before.
That said he has been appalling.
In terms of forwards historically shitting all over the Lane - I'd have him in 1st place given the outlay. I think even Rasiak and Booth posed more of a threat. Soldado cost more but his link up play was class, he also managed a not bad return in his first season.
I appreciate he's young, but I've seen little potential from Janssen - a nice lay off for Son earlier in the season and that is about it. He couldn't hit a barn door against Gillingham (bar a penalty) and has barely looked like a footballer - his control of the ball and general passing is abysmal. I want him to do well, but I'm really pissed of at his inability to offer an effective back up.

Vincent Janssen has bounced back from failure before – but Spurs don't know how to use him best yet

Vincent Janssen has bounced back from failure before – but Spurs don't know how to use him best yet

janssen_5.jpg

The £17m summer signing has already been likened to Spurs struggler Roberto Soldado – but Seb Stafford-Bloor explains why the 22-year-old is still desperately trying to find his feet in north London

The first suggestion that Vincent Janssen was going to struggle in English football came during Tottenham's first home game of the season. Leading the line after a vibrant debut the week before, he started against Crystal Palace and was largely effective.

Janssen may have been short on finesse, but he was largely as packaged: eager and physical, with a handy habit of bringing other players into the game. But late in the second half, an ugly asterisk: after racing through on goal, he screwed the best chance of the game horribly wide and all of his positive momentum spilled out of the hole in the corner of White Hart Lane.

janssen_6.jpg

Janssen is trying far too hard: shots have spewed wide off his shins and, as his first touch has grown more unreliable, he's looked like a man drowning

In the months since, it's been much the same. Nobody has tried harder than Janssen, but his search for a first goal from open play continues. His periodic contributions, mainly from the substitutes' bench, have yielded the occasional neat flick and sometimes even a telling pass; nevertheless, the more furious his pursuit of that elusive goal has become, the less capable of actually scoring he has looked.

Janssen is trying far too hard: shots have spewed wide off his shins and, as his first touch has grown more unreliable, he's looked like a man drowning.

Yes, he's suffering. But while that's inarguably true and while he is perilously short on self-belief, it would be reductive to package his difficulties as purely emotional.

altidore_1.jpg

Other strikers (including Jozy Altidore) have struggled after joining from the Eredivisie, but Janssen's case has its own factors

Janssen isn't the first new signing to endure a difficult first season and certainly not the only Eredivisie alumnus to flounder in England, but beware the clichés which this type of situation attracts. Those platitudes may have some merit – and the simple passing of time can remedy poor form – but they don't collectively explain why the striker has laboured under Premier League lights.

Can’t match Kane

He's not someone who seems capable of creating goals out of nothing – Janssen is the exclamation point on a sentence rather than the actual prose

The defensive standards in the Netherlands are different, but Janssen's goalscoring record and the highlights from his time at AZ show him to be a forward of good habits and a player of no little penalty-box technique.

In all likelihood, one of the traits that attracted Tottenham to him in the first place was the breadth of his scoring range. The volume of goals (32 from 27 league starts) was eye-catching, but it was the variation of finishing which made Janssen notable; he scored with his left foot, his right, was good in the air and clever on the floor.

If there was a common theme, though, it was his reliance on opportunism: a lot of his goals were smartly taken and impressive, but the majority seemed to be the product of either defensive mistakes or well-constructed moves. He's not someone, for instance, who seems capable of creating goals out of nothing – Janssen is the exclamation point on a sentence rather than the actual prose.

There's nothing wrong with that, other than it being a relatively old-fashioned trait. The most pertinent comparison to make would naturally involve Harry Kane; the difference between the two is quite substantial. Kane has similarly predatory instincts inside the box, but is a more rounded forward. He's comfortable playing 30 yards from goal and often in the wide channels, and doesn't necessarily need to be presented with high-percentage opportunities to score.

In fact, some of his most famous Spurs goals have been from improbable situations: the goal from an angle in the last north London derby at White Hart Lane, his double in the New Year's Day win over Chelsea in 2015, his bending finish against Stoke in April 2016. The greater percentage of his return may come from closer range, but he is not solely reliant on those kind of chances.

For the moment, Janssen is – and that acts as a multiplier on his difficulties. More troubling – and, again, unlike Kane – he doesn't enjoy natural chemistry with the surrounding players. That's excusable, of course, but the consequence is still an absence of the anticipation that was so crucial to his Eredivisie form; he always seems a yard out of place when a cross arrows the six-yard-box, or a step too slow when a pass is knifed through a defensive line.

In 2015/16, he averaged 4.96 shots per 90 minutes for AZ; in the present day, that has shrunk to an anaemic 2.85. That statistic may be partly influence by his sporadic involvement, but it's also indicative of both his reticence in front of goal and his failure to arrive in shooting positions.

While it would be disingenuous to pretend that Janssen hasn't spurned opportunities to score, the greater concern is over how few chances he has actually had. He must take the bulk of the responsibility for that: as the pressure to score has intensified, he's dropped noticeably deeper – away from the box and away from responsibility. It's the striker's equivalent of a goalkeeper not coming for crosses, or a winger passing inside instead of attacking a full-back: it's how a player hides on a football pitch.

janssen_az.jpg

Don’t panic

As a person, he's often been described as hard-working and diligent, and as a model professional with a voracious appetite for study

The good news is that it's not actually a significant problem. With Kane now fit, available and in good form, Janssen's lack of contribution is a minor issue. Nevertheless, it's an ailment that requires a remedy – not least because he remains a capable goalscorer and, ultimately, a player whom Spurs recruited at great expense.

This is perhaps where patience is necessary. Supporters may not enjoy being told to defer their judgement, but in this case it's right for them to do so; Janssen not only needs to cure his confidence problem, he must also essentially re-learn parts of his position. Encouragingly, that's something he's more than capable of doing. As a person, he's often been described as hard-working and diligent, and as a model professional with a voracious appetite for study.

Quoted by FFT contributor Priya Ramesh in July 2016, Gaston Taument, Janssen’s former youth coach at Feyenoord, recalled that: "Vincent has always lived exemplarily for the sport. There has not been a day that he has not trained optimally. That shows his character: he is a fighter, a hardy spirit."

janssen_7.jpg

There's also something to be said for a player who, after leaving De Kuip, recovered admirably from that relative failure. It speaks to Janssen's character that he wasn't broken by the disappointment and that within three years he had risen to become the Eredivisie top scorer and a full Netherlands international (having thumped a hat-trick past Feyenoord last season for good measure). That takes resilience and a positive attitude in the face of adversity; he'll need both again if he’s to reverse the current negative trend.

The old cliché about goalscoring dictates that the time to worry is when the chances dry up. In this case that's not necessarily true, though: if Janssen's ability to literally put the ball in the net hadn't survived the journey from Holland, then Daniel Levy and Mauricio Pochettino would be staring down the barrel of an expensive mistake.

That point hasn't yet been reached. This is a ‘break down and rebuild’ scenario: Janssen has excellent goalscoring instincts, but Tottenham just don't quite know how to access them yet.

‘Janssen turned down Galatasaray to stay at Spurs’

Date published: Friday 20th January 2017 10:10

GettyImages.621415488.jpg

Vincent Janssen has turned down the chance of a move to Turkish side Galatasaray to stay and fight for his place at Tottenham, according to his agent.

He scored 27 goals in 34 league appearances last season with AZ Alkmaar which saw him move to White Hart Lane in a deal worth almost £20million.

However, things haven’t quite gone to plan for the major summer acquisition with him failing to hit the back of the net from open play this campaign.

His three goals have come from the penalty spot and he has not played for two months owing, in part, to an injury sustained in December.

And his agent has revealed that the Dutchman rejected a transfer to the Turkish Super Lig as he wants to be part of Mauricio Pochettino’s plans in north London.

“He decided to turn down all interest,” Patrick van Diermen told Omroep Brabant. “Galatasaray came with an offer but Vincent will stay with Tottenham Hotspur. He decided to turn down Galatasaray.

“Vincent chose Tottenham Hotspur in the summer fully aware of what his chances would be to play.

“He signed a long-term contract with a good club with fantastic facilities and a good coach.

“Before he got injured he got playing time every week. He is enjoying his time and wants to fight for his chance.”

‘Janssen turned down Galatasaray to stay at Spurs’

Date published: Friday 20th January 2017 10:10

GettyImages.621415488.jpg

Vincent Janssen has turned down the chance of a move to Turkish side Galatasaray to stay and fight for his place at Tottenham, according to his agent.

He scored 27 goals in 34 league appearances last season with AZ Alkmaar which saw him move to White Hart Lane in a deal worth almost £20million.

However, things haven’t quite gone to plan for the major summer acquisition with him failing to hit the back of the net from open play this campaign.

His three goals have come from the penalty spot and he has not played for two months owing, in part, to an injury sustained in December.

And his agent has revealed that the Dutchman rejected a transfer to the Turkish Super Lig as he wants to be part of Mauricio Pochettino’s plans in north London.

“He decided to turn down all interest,” Patrick van Diermen told Omroep Brabant. “Galatasaray came with an offer but Vincent will stay with Tottenham Hotspur. He decided to turn down Galatasaray.

“Vincent chose Tottenham Hotspur in the summer fully aware of what his chances would be to play.

“He signed a long-term contract with a good club with fantastic facilities and a good coach.

“Before he got injured he got playing time every week. He is enjoying his time and wants to fight for his chance.”
That's the sort of thing I like to hear. Doesn't sound like he's sulking & just wants to get his nut down, work hard & take his chance when he can.
If it's true (rather than some agent bullshit) then he gets 10/10 for attitude.

Back
Top Bottom