Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Everyone loves a trier, but i am getting desperate to detect some real skill in his game. Just one part of the game where he excels but its not pace, nor is it first touch, goal scoring so far nope, dribbling forget about it, heading only so so, strenght in duels not really and long shots are a big no too.

In the end he's had quite a lot of game time, and every time i try to be positive and supporting but time and time again he just seems so lost out there. Is our style of play not fitting him, possibly yes but it's not like we are playing a type of game that is only going to work for the happy few. He needs to do more to get on the end of things, and we rely heavily on three or four different types of actions to get the ball in and around the box. So far, he's not there when and where it counts. And yes he works hard,but it all looks so unnatural.

I just want to see some skill from him, just one piece of football that holds the promise of the player he should become.

Everyone loves a trier, but i am getting desperate to detect some real skill in his game. Just one part of the game where he excels but its not pace, nor is it first touch, goal scoring so far nope, dribbling forget about it, heading only so so, strenght in duels not really and long shots are a big no too.

In the end he's had quite a lot of game time, and every time i try to be positive and supporting but time and time again he just seems so lost out there. Is our style of play not fitting him, possibly yes but it's not like we are playing a type of game that is only going to work for the happy few. He needs to do more to get on the end of things, and we rely heavily on three or four different types of actions to get the ball in and around the box. So far, he's not there when and where it counts. And yes he works hard,but it all looks so unnatural.

I just want to see some skill from him, just one piece of football that holds the promise of the player he should become.

What do you define as quite a lot of game time? He's had a whooping 16 appearances. He's started 10 matches. 5 league, 2 CL, 2 League Cup and 1 FA Cup match. How many 90 minute matches has he completed?

That's the sort of thing I like to hear. Doesn't sound like he's sulking & just wants to get his nut down, work hard & take his chance when he can.
If it's true (rather than some agent bullshit) then he gets 10/10 for attitude.
Completely different attitude to what we have been seeing of him on the pitch. Throwing his arms in the air with frustration is all we've seen of him the last few weeks along with not even making the subs bench. Hopefully he can turn it around. I really hope he does.

What do you define as quite a lot of game time? He's had a whooping 16 appearances. He's started 10 matches. 5 league, 2 CL, 2 League Cup and 1 FA Cup match. How many 90 minute matches has he completed?
10 starts is quite a lot of game time to be able to judge a player isnt it, if these stats are correct, he's nr 13 in our mins played for this season so yes he's had good gametime.
And i'm not even asking for goals or assits or MOTM performances.

Compared to the cameo's i've seen from GKN (in only 36 mins), at least he seems to try to enjoy his game and bring his qualities into the game. And, like Janssen at AZ, GKN was a big player in France, an essential player for his team last year and so for him this situation must be hard to swallow too.
Personalities differ, pressure also differs as the expectations and burden on Janssen are higher but as a striker that's part of the game, they are often paid better, more visible, can get higher rewards and so on but that also means that they need to be able to perform under pressure. Something i've not seen from Janssen so far.
It might yet come, he might be a superb PL striker soon but for the moment i really can't see it happening and i really really hope that i'm wrong. It takes time to adjust to the English game, it takes time to adjust to the Poch game but pure natural ability always shows and that's what i'm missing with him, the promise of a solid future.

Last edited:
It took Lamela two full seasons to come good. But let's write of Janssen now why don't we? :harrysmile:

Well, his first season saw him coached by AVB who only deemed him good enough for the Europa League and the coached by Sherwood who didn't deem him good enough.

His second season with Pochettino was just inconsistent. He'd do magical things like QPR assists, Chadli assist at Emirates, rabona etc but then disappear. This was a transition period for everyone when you consider our line up and style then to the following year where Lamela was a key player and we finished 3rd.

Well, his first season saw him coached by AVB who only deemed him good enough for the Europa League and the coached by Sherwood who didn't deem him good enough.

His second season with Pochettino was just inconsistent. He'd do magical things like QPR assists, Chadli assist at Emirates, rabona etc but then disappear. This was a transition period for everyone when you consider our line up and style then to the following year where Lamela was a key player and we finished 3rd.

So you're saying 6 months is a fair period of time judging a player? Okay. :adethumbup:

No

Only stating your Lamela theory was myth.

Nothing to do with a myth. Even after his second season everyone wanted to sell him. As for discussing the minutes Janssen has had, he wouldn't have had most of them if Kane hadn't gotten injured. I imagine Poch would have ideally liked to have played Janssen in much the same way he is playing GKN. Too many minutes for a player still getting settled will lead to sub par performances and a battering of his confidence. The fans getting on his back will further drain said confidence. It's fine though. We all know confidence has nothing to do with how well strikers typically tend to perform.

Nothing to do with a myth. Even after his second season everyone wanted to sell him. As for discussing the minutes Janssen has had, he wouldn't have had most of them if Kane hadn't gotten injured. I imagine Poch would have ideally liked to have played Janssen in much the same way he is playing GKN. Too many minutes for a player still getting settled will lead to sub par performances and a battering of his confidence. The fans getting on his back will further drain said confidence. It's fine though. We all know confidence has nothing to do with how well strikers typically tend to perform.

Lamela showed more promise in his Europa League games in his first season than Janssen has at all this season.

But Kane did get injured and Janssen didn't take his chances. Luckily we had the likes of Son and Alli scoring goals because fuck knows where we may have been.

I'm not writing Janssen off. I think Poch however has made up his mind, considering he probably never wanted him in the first place. That's the general consensus after he was hauled off against Aston Villa in the cup. I guess we will just see what happens when we have Wycombe and Gent coming up.

I'm not writing Janssen off. I think Poch however has made up his mind, considering he probably never wanted him in the first place. That's the general consensus after he was hauled off against Aston Villa in the cup. I guess we will just see what happens when we have Wycombe and Gent coming up.

Why do we think Poch never wanted him in the 1st place?

Should have just signed Leigh Griffiths from Celtic then.

31 goals in 34 games. Doubt he'd have been any more expensive.

Who is to say he would want to come that far south of the border....:ossie:
Any how I'm not certain now it works, but you would like to think Poch does have a fair amount of sway on who we sign, or is it a case that he only finds out when he sees a new gold plated Bentley at the training centre.... then it's like surprise.....
:adethumbup:
I'm back!!

Who is to say he would want to come that far south of the border....:ossie:
Any how I'm not certain now it works, but you would like to think Poch does have a fair amount of sway on who we sign, or is it a case that he only finds out when he sees a new gold plated Bentley at the training centre.... then it's like surprise.....
:adethumbup:
I'm back!!

Amazingly, only two players in our starting eleven were actually signed by Pochettino. It's fair to say he hasn't got the best track record.

Back
Top Bottom