TOTTENHAM VS SUNDERLAND (JERMAIN DEFOE DERBY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This has got me thinking: are we lacking an alternative to Dembele when he's out/we're rotating the team?

Obviously, a striker is our priority signing right now - but would we also benefit from getting in a young player whose playing style/contribution is similar to Mousa's?
Am trying to think if there are any youth players in his mould that could be promoted, but I can't think of any that would fit...

If Mason and Bentaleb were fit and in form, they could provide the depth you're thinking of although they're not the same mould of player as Mousa. I think the problem now is that it's Carroll who seems the only other option, and he doesn't seem to have been sufficiently convincing despite his tidy passing.

But we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if we sign Moussa Dembele from Fulham :pritchardeyes:

Great game. I felt that if we had won 2-1 then there'd still be doubts or worries, but this shows our mentality that we ain't taking none. 4-1 was just what we needed. Eriksen with loads of confidence (you could glimpse a LOT of his good passes today). Alderweireld and Vertonghen work together really well. Good stuff, off day for Alli and I hope it gets better

Moose and Eriksen I reckon have opportunities and space to try and bend them bottom or top corner, much like how Kane attempted his shot early on.

When I mean from outside the box I didn't mean from 30 yards out. Literally mean edge of the box. I wouldn't consider it desperation, just slightly more objective.
Well you certainly got that right. This is the way to defeat these tactics and we have not done it enough in the past

If Mason and Bentaleb were fit and in form, they could provide the depth you're thinking of although they're not the same mould of player as Mousa. I think the problem now is that it's Carroll who seems the only other option, and he doesn't seem to have been sufficiently convincing despite his tidy passing.

But we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if we sign Moussa Dembele from Fulham :pritchardeyes:
Probably shouldn't be the deciding factor, but I really want him just for the name confusion.

I fucking hate pundits enough, and I know it'll continuously fuck them over if we get him.

Important to get the win today. Another 4-1 home win! Give credit to our squad, anyone can lose a game but every time we do we respond well. I always think it says more about the team as to how you respond to defeat than it does the defeat itself.

I thought BT were particularly harsh on us the first half. Sunderland defended well but we weren't as bad as they made out. Pickford still made two good saves, Alli missed a great chance and that Dembele 5 v 2 attack should have resulted in a goal so it isn't like we created nothing.
I think people forget games are 90 minutes long and we don't have to score 4 in the first 20-30 minutes before we need to start panicking.

Today was about being patient against a team that wanted a draw. We were patient, the chances came and so did the goals.

I also think far too much criticism is aimed at our squad for not scoring enough goals. "If Kane doesn't score, where are the goals going to come from?". I think Kane's scored just 12 of our 37 league goals this season so we're not struggling for goals in other areas.

There isn't a better partnership than Toby and Jan in the league. If Toby isn't the signing of the season I don't know who is. I know some will say Payet or whoever but Toby has been incredible and our defence has been stronger for it.

Good win and still well on target to reach our objectives for the season. Now over to everyone below us to close the gap and everyone above us to not slip up. We've done our part.

Good solid win. Not our best performance in the first half but exactly the sort of result we needed.

Newcastle 1 up against the Spammers too which would be nice to give us some breathing space on 4th. We'll be7 points off the top by the end of the weekend so I'm not taking too much notice of this title talk tho.

i just arrived home from work, unfortunately for me i missed the match ,looks like Eriksen shined today ,4-1 , on short ,i want to ask ,how was the match ? easy for Spurs? or the visitors sucks today ,too weak for the mighty Spurs? thanks in advance...

5 more points and we're secured from relegation! :pochwtf:

or just a small comparison to show you how bleak the past was: 1997\\98 season, played 38 W11 D11 L16, F44 A56, Pts. 44. 2015\2016 played 22 W 10 D9 L3, F38 A18, Pts. 40.

thank fuck for that, Alli fucked and a few others a wee bit jaded maybe.
I'd 100% rest him and change the full backs up maybe lamela for Son too for the replay.

i just arrived home from work, unfortunately for me i missed the match ,looks like Eriksen shined today ,4-1 , on short ,i want to ask ,how was the match ? easy for Spurs? or the visitors sucks today ,too weak for the mighty Spurs? thanks in advance...
Similar to the Leicester game midweek. Ten behind the ball - "break us down" and hoping Defoe would sneak a chance on the break.

Broke them down a lot easier today although helped with some laughable defending from Sunderland.

Eriksen played much better and with more confidence after starting the game poorly (in my opinion), but I felt it was a very good team performance overall especially after getting sucker punched with Sunderland's goal against the run of play. It was certainly great to have Mousa back.

Good performance.

Dunno what was up with Eriksen in the first half, but he put it right in the second. Lamela, Kane, Dier decent. Quiet games generally for them.

Jan, Toby and Hugo their usual godly selves.

Onomah looked excellent in his cameo.

I was very impressed with Trippier today, so much so that I'd keep him there. And I love Kyle Walker. Worried he'd never realise his potential with us but he's looking settled and growing each game.

Last edited:
CY2gyFIWsAA1fxE.jpg:large

Onomah looked excellent in his cameo.
Not disagreeing, but I didn't get much of a read on how he did.

Would like to see him play a bit more when he comes on (i.e. substituted earlier than he was today) though in fairness, the match was very much in the balance up until then.

Looked like he was on the Alli-style substitute-to-starter plan, but is clearly not as developed yet.

Not disagreeing, but I didn't get much of a read on how he did.

Would like to see him play a bit more when he comes on (i.e. substituted earlier than he was today) though in fairness, the match was very much in the balance up until then.

Looked like he was on the Alli-style substitute-to-starter plan, but is clearly not as developed yet.
Considering I've criticised his speed of thought previously, I thought that was there today. Picked the right pass when he had it and there was one particular movement with Tom Carroll that was beautiful.

Yea, I'd like to see him subbed on a little earlier too.

This has got me thinking: are we lacking an alternative to Dembele when he's out/we're rotating the team?

Obviously, a striker is our priority signing right now - but would we also benefit from getting in a young player whose playing style/contribution is similar to Mousa's?
Am trying to think if there are any youth players in his mould that could be promoted, but I can't think of any that would fit...
This is why I have mentioned Rabiot on occasion, not because I don't rate Dembele, but simply because of Mousa's age and susceptibility to injury and, at a pinch, he could cover for Dier.

Back
Top Bottom