Tottenham Hotspur v Hull City (23rd Nov)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sad thing about that win is that it's our best performance in a long time! Even 1-0 down in the first half it was a lot better than the joke 1st first half at Villa or any of the crap we've served up at the Lane. We looked like we attacked with pace and had a chance to get in behind a defence for the first time in a very long time. Great sub bringing on Lennon and moving Eriksen inside, gave us some real width and stretched the 10 men.

Also on the red, if the idiot didn't kick out Jan can't go to ground. One final one Jan didn't give the red card the ref and his assistant did. Media being absolute pricks about it but if you take out the idiotic act of lashing out (Gaston's fault) and the decision to give a red (ref/linesman) it's a non-event. Those 2 parties are the ones responsible for Hull going down to 10, with the ref then being lenient not sending off Livermore!

First 30 minutes was pathetic, then we seemed to wake up a bit.

Sad thing about that win is that it's our best performance in a long time! Even 1-0 down in the first half it was a lot better than the joke 1st first half at Villa or any of the crap we've served up at the Lane. We looked like we attacked with pace and had a chance to get in behind a defence for the first time in a very long time. Great sub bringing on Lennon and moving Eriksen inside, gave us some real width and stretched the 10 men.

Also on the red, if the idiot didn't kick out Jan can't go to ground. One final one Jan didn't give the red card the ref and his assistant did. Media being absolute pricks about it but if you take out the idiotic act of lashing out (Gaston's fault) and the decision to give a red (ref/linesman) it's a non-event. Those 2 parties are the ones responsible for Hull going down to 10, with the ref then being lenient not sending off Livermore!
Bruce sends his team out, against better sides as he feels necessary. Ramírez rightly got sent off no arguments and Livermore should have got a straight red. As a coach and as a player you have to be responsible for your own actions.

First 30 minutes was pathetic, then we seemed to wake up a bit.
Thought we looked likely to score and concede before their goal which for us this season is unfortunately a + :pochwtf:

After their goal we were a bit shambolic for a bit and there was that whole passage where we looked like conceding only for Ben Arfa to fluff it. After that I thought we were ok.

I am happy at the result but our defence was so porous yesterday in the first 20-30 minutes we could have been 3 down before we started to get some progress.

We weren't playing a defensive centre mid and that might have been the player who would have closed Livermore down before he had the chance to shoot. This is a huge hypothetical point admittedly.

The more worrying aspect is that with this more 'attacking' midfield set up we created, what, 3 meaningful chances in the first half? We were giving the ball away too cheaply and we looked completely nullified by their sharp closing down. Let's remember, we weren't playing a form side or a team renowned for clinical attacks, a more ruthless team could have had that game won in the first 30 minutes.

Yesterday I think the sending off properly changed the game, they had very little in the way of an attacking outlet and we bossed the game from that point. You have to wonder if it had remained at 11 v 11 did we have the guile and quality to win it? I am honestly not sure, I could see perhaps a draw with the subs MP added and we certainly looked better and more balanced with Vlad taking Dier's place and Lennon giving us a bit more width. This is why we have to be cautious about this win, we still have issues!

There was definite evidence of a more fluid attacking unit (Lamela's shot toward the end of the first half a result of Eriksen dropping deeper, nice exchange of passes with possibly Soldado, and a lovely lay off) but our defence is often exposed, and in turn can turn to utter panic. Brady's shot, and subsequent save from Lloris should never have come about. How no one saw him drop to the penalty spot is baffling.

There are clearly improvements in Lamela's game but he still holds the ball for far too long. There were three opportunities to pass the ball wide to Chriches yesterday but Lamela consistently cut inside and into traffic. He must make his decisions quicker, and develop some upper body strength.

It was a match that highlighted continued problems but that also gave cause for hope. If we can speed up our play we'll cause any team problems, but right now we are still a little pedestrian.

Not buying the we could have been 3 or 4 down in the first half. Hull had 4 chances yes, but 3 of them came in the same passage of play! If they score 1 of the 3 chances the rest don't happen. 2-0 at worst and lets not forget their keeper made an OK save in the first half too

Basically Ramirez red was poor, but if you do that you're asking for it. It wasn't the ref's decision, it was his assistant. However, the ref did see Livermore try and break Mason's leg, but bottled it. If only Jake would have tried that hard, and scored a goal, when with us. For Livermore to assault Mason, a supposed friend, is despicable.
We have had dodgy sendings off , such as Paulinho, Kaboul and Naughton. Sometimes it's harder to break down teams with 10 men and they all don't lose. Hull have also let a few goals in at the end of games with 11.
Now, I don't think we played that badly. I honestly think we would have scored with 11 v 11. Hull have only lost at home to Southampton and Man City and historically isn't that of an easy place to go. They lost at home to 7 teams last year. We lost to 5 . They were at home remember and maybe shaded it first half, but we had our chances. Hull had 4 shots on target all game. Did they all come in the first half? Then you have the Hudds Dawson and Livermore syndrome. I never saw Livermore that committed at Spurs and he didn't score a league goal for us. Dawson didn't put a foot wrong either.
I cannot understand the Lamela haters though. He's a trier and never shies away from the ball.
One thing that struck me was that we played 442, and when Lennon came on we had width on the right and left with Lamela. Lamela had a lovely shot saved reminiscent of pre season.
We moved the ball better and faster bar Dembele and Dier ( who I feel sorry for having his confidence shot to pieces not playing well as a RB ).
People knock Soldado, but Kane missed an easier chance. At least the lot that went yesterday sang Bobby's and Kane's names after their respective misses. The fans were excellent. They should stick the away lot together at WHL to drown out the pessimistic cunts we have.
FFs we won the game. So what if it was against 10 men? I think we actually showed signs of improvement. One things for sure, we don't stop. However, their goal came after another lull in the game. That's one thing we have to rectify.
As for the ref being biased he let a lot go by Jelovic. I saw Lamela get kicked off the ball by Elhamody. Eriksen got gobbed at after he scored, the Ref let Brady call him a fucking wanker and bottled it when Jake tried to break his mates leg.
If the ref would have done his job they would have had at least 2 more red cards as Livermore should have gone into the book long before he cunted the ref and Huddelstone should have had a yellow after half hour and Ramirez should have been booked for kicking the ball away making himself busy about a few inches over a free kick. That's what Ramirez was wound up with Vertonghen for, getting a little shove for doing it. He also tried to get Eriksen sent off or carded. There was an incident where he complained to the ref about a decision given to us, saying he was fouled seconds earlier. The ref spoke to him, then straight after he feigned injury rolling around clutching his leg when Eriksen took the ball off him.
If you ask me they played a dirty, sly game and it backfired. They were haranguing the Ref long before the sending off and as for the Uruguayan: Don't get the hump when your diving wins fuck all. You got what you deserved.

Last edited:
Did anyone get a load of the co-commentator on sky sports?

Once again terrible punditry, can remember him saying a few inexplicably incorrect things.

- "sending off wasn't a red" (as if, Beckham did the exact same thing to Simeone in 1998 and got the card so you'll always get a red, It's not great, but if you want to get sent off you can guarantee this is a 100% best way to go about it).
- "You can always rely on Lennon to to put in a quality cross" ?? Seriously, have you even watched him play for the last 10 years, its the thing we slate him for most!
- "Soldado is really dangerous from that range, you have to close him down" - seriously wtf, Soldado isn't dangerous from any position for Spurs let alone running long shots from outside the box, I don't think he's even scored from there in his entire career!

People knock Soldado, but Kane missed an easier chance
And Soldado didnt completely make a mess of it also. They are the sort of goals he was banging in at Valencia. Balls played into him from wide. Problem is we do it once a game max and he is expected to score. If he was getting 3-5 chances of that ilk I'd back him in to get 1. No striker in the league has a 100% success rate when shooting, the good ones either create or get given more chances than the rest. Soldado isn't at fault either as he has to do more to get on the end of things but our service is the much bigger problem

Once again terrible punditry, can remember him saying a few inexplicably incorrect things.

- "sending off wasn't a red" (as if, Beckham did the exact same thing to Simeone in 1998 and got the card so you'll always get a red, It's not great, but if you want to get sent off you can guarantee this is a 100% best way to go about it).
- "You can always rely on Lennon to to put in a quality cross" ?? Seriously, have you even watched him play for the last 10 years, its the thing we slate him for most!
- "Soldado is really dangerous from that range, you have to close him down" - seriously wtf, Soldado isn't dangerous from any position for Spurs let alone running long shots from outside the box, I don't think he's even scored from there in his entire career!

He also said that Paulinho is a great dm :paulinhofacepalm:
I still don't know if he is good, but certainly he's not a dm.

He also said that Paulinho is a great dm :paulinhofacepalm:
I still don't know if he is good, but certainly he's not a dm.

Not even on football manager. Fucking sick of these pricks. Thanks god social media gives me the platform to criticise them.

Guess they have to say something but yeh those lines are appalling.

ArcspacE ArcspacE Deadwood'sPostMatch Deadwood'sPostMatch - since you guys don't share my opinion about Paulinho looking lost and extremely insecure - I'd be very keen to hear what you feel like he added to the side once he came on. Maybe I missed something, but since I've had high hopes for him, and defended him thinking he's got the skills to succeed for us, I watched him closely with eager anticipation of a performance good enough to reclaim a spot in the starting 11 - alas I saw nothing noteworthy.

I'd really appreciate if you could highlight what I missed. Thanks!

Mate, I think he's complete and utter shit?

And Soldado didnt completely make a mess of it also. They are the sort of goals he was banging in at Valencia. Balls played into him from wide. Problem is we do it once a game max and he is expected to score. If he was getting 3-5 chances of that ilk I'd back him in to get 1. No striker in the league has a 100% success rate when shooting, the good ones either create or get given more chances than the rest. Soldado isn't at fault either as he has to do more to get on the end of things but our service is the much bigger problem

Soldado missed an absolute sitter and its his fault. Why is that so beyond you?

He played well, deserves to be in the team ahead of Ade as long as its alongside Kane, and his mental strength and will power is admirable.

But please......please stop making excuses and blaming other players for the things that are down to him.

Like hitting the target with a simple one on one.

Soldado missed an absolute sitter and its his fault. Why is that so beyond you?

He played well, deserves to be in the team ahead of Ade as long as its alongside Kane, and his mental strength and will power is admirable.

But please......please stop making excuses and blaming other players for the things that are down to him.

Like hitting the target with a simple one on one.
A sitter is what Kane scored from something that any League 1 striker is expected to score. I wouldn't call a snap shot like his an absolute sitter at all, a good chance that a PL striker should score more times than not yes! Yeah he missed a good chance but as mentioned many times so did Kane with that header at the back post. Both should be converting good chances but even the best strikers in the league like Aguero & Costa occasionally don't.

Problem for Soldado yesterday and Kane against Stoke (that header) they only get 1 good chance a game to score in our inept side.

A sitter is what Kane scored from something that any League 1 striker is expected to score. I wouldn't call a snap shot like his an absolute sitter at all, a good chance that a PL striker should score more times than not yes! Yeah he missed a good chance but as mentioned many times so did Kane with that header at the back post. Both should be converting good chances but even the best strikers in the league like Aguero & Costa occasionally don't.

Problem for Soldado yesterday and Kane against Stoke (that header) they only get 1 good chance a game to score in our inept side.

Again....what has Kane got to do with it?

Just because Kane also missed a sitter, it has no bearing on Soldado or his miss.

It was a simple chance, one that Ive been told for 18 months is what he thrives on, and our midfield has deprived him of. He mis hit it off his shin, and it tamely bobbled wide.

How is that not his fault?

You can make out like it was a difficult chance all you like, but its one a 26M striker should be putting away, and the resulting, almost predictable miss is why he gets a tough ride from many. He wasnt bought for nice flicks.

Again, I think he is playing well, and the last few weeks, for me, very surprisingly has been a brighter spot. I actually, for the first time, believe the goals will come for him.

But I dont feel the need to play him off against Kane, Ade, Crouch, our midfield or anyone else.

He has earned his spot. And he is equally responsible if he gets dropped or subbed for not taking his chances.

Sorry, but that was just another complete missed opportunity from Soldado. Shit happens for any player and they are all going to miss a sitter here or there, but it is constant from him.

Here, when it comes down to it, if it becomes more surprising that a striker gets a shot on goal than he makes a mess of it, there's a problem.

Back
Top Bottom