Toronto friendly

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Soldado too - great link up play & vision to set up Lamela for both goals.

Holtby with great play to set up Townsend too - a lot of players (Dembele) have been selfish and wastful before in those types of situation. Townsend looks to have improved his shooting a little at least!

The pidgeons in N17 will be happy
The little dummy for the 1st goal was sublime.

Im feeling Lamela! He looks so much bigger now its great, think he tries to do a little to much skill on the ball every time he gets it, but Im pretty sure thats just so he can get 5 star skills on FIFA again after being downgraded to 3 star skills :(

Yeah I mean, his deficiencies won't be fixed. Maybe the could be slightly mitigated. But before tonight I had forgotten just how good he was at pestering players on the ball. With MP's swarming style he could be a real asset. Maybe he won't be a starter but I feel pretty confident that he has a role in this team due to his pressing ability.

Yeah, this is all very true. His experience is something I'm sure Poch will value as well. I just don't think it'll translate to Prem play though, and especially not in a side that will have to take points off the top clubs to achieve our objectives. Really need three supporting players on the same page in terms of vision and thinking if we're to make it work. I like Chadli, but I could also see him struggling to keep up as he's very much of the continental 4-3-3 wide forward mold, so despite his versatility I could see him struggling to stay on par with the rotation. Lennon may not have the same vision, but at least he's quick enough to move in and out of space to keep the other two flowing.

It is only two and a half weeks in though, so I'm certainly willing to concede I may be wrong in the near future. Already pleasantly surprised with Soldado's interaction with the supporting three. Very crisp and astute play for a guy known for finishing buildups from his time in Spain rather than creating them.

TLDR: we still need a farkin left winger

The commentator clearly hasn't watched Townsend before. He said that shot would have hit the back of the net 9 out of 10 times. I'm not sure I'd back Townsend to do that again 9 out of 100 times :eriksenlol::townhmm:

They all just watch highlights of England games and assume that defines the player.

Hence Stevie G retiring is being treated like the death of Princess Diana.

I agree. I like Daws, but his decline has been quite obvious

It's the same with all defenders that rely on last ditch tackles to get them out of danger - as soon as they lose half a yard of pace every last ditch tackle becomes a penalty......when they lose a yard or two the opposition are just constantly one on one with their keeper

BtQu7D6CAAAv6aC.jpg:large

Damn, I knew Levy was short ... but I didn't know he was also shorter than Defoe.
No worries, Levy. It's alright.
I'm short too ...
But not that short. :)

Defoe's studs are about 4 inches long.

Ignoring the disastrous second half, what do people think in terms of player ratings?

I'd go with:

Friedel - 6

Naughton - 6.5
Kaboul - 8
Veljkovic - 7
Davies - 6.5

Capoue - 8
Mason - 6.5

Lamela - 9
Lennon - 7.5
Eriksen - 5

Soldado - 7.5

Ignoring the disastrous second half, what do people think in terms of player ratings?

I'd go with:

Friedel - 6

Naughton - 6.5
Kaboul - 8
Veljkovic - 7
Davies - 6.5

Capoue - 8
Mason - 6.5

Lamela - 9
Lennon - 7.5
Eriksen - 5

Soldado - 7.5

Lower lennons and mason score and bump up Bobby's and I think ur about right

I thought Davies played well. When he got forward he produced moments of quality with a couple of very good cut backs, one to Lamela early on when he should have scored.

Capoue was incredible, his tackling is superb. Read danger well, especially when tracking players who drifted wide.

Kaboul looked sharp, hopefully this pre season gets him match fit and up to the pace and his previous form.

Lamela was fantastic, always looked a danger, kept the ball well, although yes, he did try one too many skills at times, but he got two well taken goals.

They are my standout players.
Azza and Mason deserve mention too. Lennon linked up well with the other 3 forward players. Mason looked tidy on the ball and battled well.

2nd half was a bit bad, Fryers and Dawson are awful together.

...did they finally successfully splice Holtby's DNA into "Lame"-ela??? that kid came out on fire and basically bossed the 1st 15min...also encouraging to see the link up play with Soldado - let's see if it translates to the PL...
...Davies looked steady, unlike 'psycho boy' Rose...
...Eriksen looked rusty...
...Carroll, Capoue, Veljkovic, and Mason were unimpressive...Mousa and Jan please hurry back...
...MOTM was def Roberts, the 2nd half keeper for Toronto...
COYS

Back
Top Bottom